Critical news debate Topic

Posted by bjschumacher on 5/9/2015 12:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by esf0242 on 5/8/2015 11:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/8/2015 11:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by esf0242 on 5/8/2015 11:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/8/2015 10:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by esf0242 on 5/8/2015 10:33:00 PM (view original):
has there ever been any consideration towards firing coaches mid season? plenty of very good coaches go un-hired based on salary demands etc...and i get ticked when i cheap it out & my hitters under perform and i want to do a do-over lol
Yes, of course. But if you can fire assistant coaches mid-season, can ownership also fire you mid-season?
but you are ownership....Jerry Jones not firing himself from the Cowboys - that doesn't make sense

I think we're supposed to be general managers. We get messages for the team owner 4-5 times per season (to alert us of type A free agents, the draft, etc.), so that can't be us.

As for Jerry Jones firing himself, he's a lunatic, so that wouldn't surprise me.
i get it, but c'mon......i BOUGHT the team
For $25.
whatever the cost, that's irrelevant.... the point is i'm more the owner than anything else... i paid for a product, i'm in charge....i'm not GETTING paid where someone else can decide i'm not worth the cost THEY paid and let me go

*does the fact the Steinbrenner's  paid only 12 million for the Yankees mean they are not in charge of the 3 billion dollar franchise they own
5/9/2015 12:36 AM (edited)
Okay, so maybe we're like minority owners. For $25, you get a minority share in the team, and you get to make all the GM decisions, but you still have to deal with the fussy e-mails from the real owner when he worries that you won't sign enough draft picks and such.

Also, as minority owners, we don't get access to all the perks that real sports owners get: luxury suites, sweetheart deals on publicly-built stadiums, access to Mark Cuban's private brothel, etc.
5/9/2015 12:55 AM
are you people serious? minority owner? did someone else chip in with me im not aware of?
i paid for a team (multiple teams btw for 8 yrs).....nobody hired me & is giving me money....this costs me. 
end of story
5/9/2015 12:58 AM
Since I am a customer of whatifsports, they should respect me. And not design strategies to screw me and laugh about it. Its $25 yes - but its $25 they want to continue to receive. Don't change the game and tell me I'm **** out of luck.

Whether or not others are in the same boat doesn't matter. Its a genergeneral customer service issue.

5/9/2015 6:35 AM
I'm positively inclined towards the changes. It adds a bit of strategy and requires adaptability, and since this is a thinking man's fake baseball game, that's a good thing.

How drastic the need to adapt is entirely contingent upon the unanswered question asked by Mike and others: Will INT'L, HS, and COLL scouting remain as they are (determining both the amount of players scouted & the quality of the projections), or will ADV now affect the projections seen for prospects in the international field and amateur draft?

If the former, the change is a minor one and will just impact the decision making process when considering trades. In fact, 0 ADV would not only still be a viable strategy, but may remain the best one.

If the latter, it's a pretty extreme change and will jack ADV up from utterly unnecessary to one of the more major budgeting concerns. You won't be able to trade well, draft effectively, chase INT'Ls, or do much of any team-building activity outside the free agent market w/o it.

So out of 31 pages of jabbering, the answer to that single question would clarify the most.

5/9/2015 7:03 AM
As far as I know, nobody is forcing anybody to continue playing this game if they don't like the new changes.  

So within that context, LOL @ the folks complaining about "but I'm paying $25 for . . . .blah, blah, blah".  You come across as whiney and childish.
5/9/2015 7:28 AM
Posted by rhyno026 on 5/9/2015 12:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 10:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rhyno026 on 5/8/2015 10:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 7:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rhyno026 on 5/8/2015 2:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by joshkvt on 5/7/2015 8:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rhyno026 on 5/7/2015 7:48:00 PM (view original):
My two cents: I hate the proposed changes to the amateur draft system. When a professional team scouts a player they gain a firm understanding of the players current skill level. For us to scout and not be able to see current ratings is unrealistic. When I finish playing through the seasons I've already purchased I don't believe I'll be purchasing more.
Comparing this to RL doesn't work. Professional teams' scouts are wrong about players' current ability all the time. Because this is a game based on ratings as opposed to RL skills, a player's current rating is accurate. A scout's take on how an LSU junior hits a curveball is not always accurate, and less likely to be accurate for a HS power hitter. There are first-round picks who never get out of A ball; that would never happen if RL teams always have a firm understanding of current skill level. It's more unrealistic that as the game works now we all see the same, 100% accurate current ratings.

The purpose of the change is not to mirror real life but to introduce ways to make ADV important. Getting rid of current ratings for other teams' players accomplishes that to some degree.
I'd argue that professional scouts are very rarely wrong about a player's current skill level, unless of course they're somewhat inept at their job. Either a player can presently range to his left or he can't, he can hit a curve or he can't, he can frame a pitch or he can't... these are things a trained eye can see. Good scouts aren't going to evaluate these types of things incorrectly. They may however mistakenly misjudge a player's potential to learn and improve, which more often than not is when you see a 1st round pick fail to ascend above A ball.

That's why not being able to view any type of current rating is unrealistic. If the goal is to eliminate the predictability of prospect development, change the development patterns and "fuzzy" up the projections. That stuff doesn't bother me because it still somewhat mirrors real life. Sacrificing realism (things a scout could see from the stands) in an effort to make advance scouting more "important" seems a bit excessive, and will cheapen the game for me at least.

I realize some folks aren't going to share the same opinion, and that's fine. I just figured I'd have my voice be heard.
I assume you'd be unhappy if a HBD HS player's "current" reflected what they'd be at the BL level.    Essentially, you take a good HS prospect and put him on the mound or at the plate.    Almost all get destroyed in real life.     So every HS split/contact/eye would be in the 20s/30s as those are "learned" skills.    Would that be helpful?  I don't think so.
You should never assume because it's true what they say...

At any rate, this is precisely the one aspect I strongly want them to keep. For the sake of argument let's say we're looking at a LH hitting 23 year old SS prospect with a current contact rating of 60, a left split of 35, a right split of 68 and an eye of 60. Let's say his defensive ratings are also decently strong, if not a bit below average at this point. Now no one knows in real life how a player is going to progress, and I don't have a problem if the game designers want to make it harder to decipher that on here. At this very moment though if I could use a 2B on my big league club I can look at this guy and ascertain that he'd at least be capable of holding down the job defensively, but I'll see some struggles from him against LH pitching. Is that helpful? Plenty.

If I spend 20 million in college scouting and can only see a bunch of "fuzzy" projections I have no way of knowing if the guy's going to be any help now. My scout might have been "watching him", and he came back to me with all these nifty projections, but somehow he couldn't tell me if the kid could make contact now? Is that realistic? No. Is that helpful? No.
There's so much on file that virtually nothing can go unchecked.

So I thought "Maybe rhyno drafts/signs players and puts them straight to the bigs."    I check your rosters and the fastest to the bigs had 3 minor league seasons.  So the main point of your post is not something you do. 

You aren't drafting anyone to help you now.    You're hoping to game the system, as all of us have, by seeing who's the closest to "helping now" and taking a shot while using very little in scouting.   Not being critical, I've done it plenty of times, but pointing out the reasoning you're using is dishonest.

The majority of my selections have also been in the latter half of the first round, where as you know it's not always as easy to find quality players with big league level currents. I have taken IFA's to the big leagues in as little as a half a season, however. At any rate, it would be nice to have the information available to make such a move if I have a high selection.

I actually don't even hate the update as a whole though, just parts. Popular opinion seems to be for the changes however, so it's whatever. Come what may you can't stop a rising sun.
Point being, they're trying to close a "loophole" of using little/no scouting.    Removing currents does that.   As I mentioned earlier, I took Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Randy Gagne with the #8 pick based on 0 scouting and currents.   No team, picking 8th, would say "Anyone ever heard of this Gagne kid?   We didn't scout him but I've heard he's pretty good right now.   Wanna roll the dice?"
5/9/2015 7:52 AM
For a game that has a hard time filling leagues as is, its not childish to ponder the impact of openly trying to screw your customers. I want my leagues to fill quickly! Its a quality of play issue.
5/9/2015 7:54 AM
Posted by peder on 5/9/2015 6:35:00 AM (view original):
Since I am a customer of whatifsports, they should respect me. And not design strategies to screw me and laugh about it. Its $25 yes - but its $25 they want to continue to receive. Don't change the game and tell me I'm **** out of luck.

Whether or not others are in the same boat doesn't matter. Its a genergeneral customer service issue.

This is more silliness.   WifS did not design updates to "screw" you.   Nor are they laughing at you.   They put in updates that many, many users have requested for years.    No one knows what affects peder directly anymore than they know what affects MikeT23 directly. 
5/9/2015 7:55 AM
Posted by peder on 5/9/2015 7:54:00 AM (view original):
For a game that has a hard time filling leagues as is, its not childish to ponder the impact of openly trying to screw your customers. I want my leagues to fill quickly! Its a quality of play issue.
More silliness.   No one is doing anything to openly screw customers.    It's called an "update". 
5/9/2015 7:56 AM
You can say "I wouldn't want to play with whiny people anyway" - but I'll take what you perceive as whiny any day if it means my league starts tomorrow vs. 3 months from now.
5/9/2015 7:56 AM
Provide your proof that, in 17 days, worlds won't fill.   Thanks in advance.
5/9/2015 7:58 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/9/2015 7:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by peder on 5/9/2015 7:54:00 AM (view original):
More silliness.   No one is doing anything to openly screw customers.    It's called an "update". 
An update - where they openly spit upon those they felt were exploiting a loophole - with a snarky comment about not raising the $4mil threshold.

It's not the update itself that leaves a bad taste but the perception they fed in the wording that they had a level of disdain for certain customers. It ****** me off at least.
5/9/2015 7:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/9/2015 7:58:00 AM (view original):
Provide your proof that, in 17 days, worlds won't fill.   Thanks in advance.
Provide proof that they will. Its all speculation at this point. I'm bringing up risks.
5/9/2015 8:01 AM
As one of the first 0 ADV owners, I don't feel spit upon.   I don't feel they had a level of disdain for me.    Maybe I'm just not sensitive to updates to simsports games.
5/9/2015 8:01 AM
◂ Prev 1...29|30|31|32|33...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.