Critical news debate Topic

While I certainly see the point you guys are making concerning hiding the budgets, what about worlds where there is a cap on prospect spending, or payroll salary, for example?

No way for the commish to check compliance if the budgets are hidden.

Or am I missing something here?
5/10/2015 4:51 PM
You are correct. There would have to be adjustments made for those worlds where caps are in place. The commissioner would have to have access to the budgets. If he is an honest type, then he would not take advantage of that info. If he's not honest then the world would fold it's tent.
5/10/2015 5:00 PM
About Budget Analysis:

What's it used for, by owners?

1/ To see what other guys spend on scouting, medical, training.  Why?  Because if you trade for a player of his, or pick up one he drafted, you want to have an idea what the guy spent on such things.  You have a better idea of the environment he's coming from.  IRL teams know, if not exact dollar expenditure, how seriously other teams invest in these things.  They see whose scouts are at the ballparks.  They know which teams have more players who get injured.  We don't, the budget screen is a short and fast way to evaluate those things.

2/ To track budget transfer for IFA spending.  Was the budget screen even viewable before budget transfer was introduced to the game?  To my eyes, it's at least a halfhearted attempt at controlling the ill effects of budget transfer, by giving owners at least an idea of where they stand in the pecking order. 

5/10/2015 5:03 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/10/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):
While I certainly see the point you guys are making concerning hiding the budgets, what about worlds where there is a cap on prospect spending, or payroll salary, for example?

You can just go to the international page and look at the signing bonuses players received and then add up the amount spent on draft picks.
5/10/2015 5:08 PM
When you know how much money your competition has to spend on IFA's and FA's you have an advantage. Who cares about medical, scouting, and training?
5/10/2015 5:10 PM
I wish for the Amature draft that we could classify the players with a Red, Orange or Green dot. Would make it way easier to compile my draft board.
5/10/2015 5:24 PM
I just wanted to chime in on debate of what Adv will really be used for now. I'm 100% certain it won't show projections for draft or IFA prospects before signed. That is just a wild guess, but can't possibly be the case. A line from the update post by admin- "A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*" this certainly shows that all scouting budgets will work as they have in the past. Adv is only relevant now because there won't be distinguishable growth patterns. For people that never or rarely trade, 0 in adv. Scouting is still the best option. And theres plenty of other ways to determine a prospects final ratings without patterns to look at either. I don't think this is as much as a game changer as many seem to think. In fact, it probably gives even more of an advantage to experienced owners and widens the gap.
5/10/2015 5:33 PM
I would like to see the budget set at 185 mil with the ability to transfer money without a penalty. Lock in all the categories like we have now on a scale of 0 to 20,  but if I do not land that FA allow me to put the money back into prospect payroll. A cap could be put in place where you can only have x amount of dollars in each budge category.
5/10/2015 6:13 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/10/2015 4:53:00 PM (view original):

This page?

Charleston Charge (AL)
Owner: MikeT23 Ballpark: Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park
ML: 29-16 AAA: 22-22 AA: 22-22 Hi A: 15-29 Lo A: 11-33 RL: 0-0
Players: $121.5M
Prospects: $0
Coaches: $8.9M
5/10/2015 6:25 PM
Posted by damag on 5/10/2015 5:03:00 PM (view original):
About Budget Analysis:

What's it used for, by owners?

1/ To see what other guys spend on scouting, medical, training.  Why?  Because if you trade for a player of his, or pick up one he drafted, you want to have an idea what the guy spent on such things.  You have a better idea of the environment he's coming from.  IRL teams know, if not exact dollar expenditure, how seriously other teams invest in these things.  They see whose scouts are at the ballparks.  They know which teams have more players who get injured.  We don't, the budget screen is a short and fast way to evaluate those things.

2/ To track budget transfer for IFA spending.  Was the budget screen even viewable before budget transfer was introduced to the game?  To my eyes, it's at least a halfhearted attempt at controlling the ill effects of budget transfer, by giving owners at least an idea of where they stand in the pecking order. 

1.  Do MLB teams really know these things about other teams?   Anyway, you can always check transactions to see who hit the DL and for how long.

5/10/2015 6:30 PM
Posted by foulballz on 5/10/2015 5:33:00 PM (view original):
I just wanted to chime in on debate of what Adv will really be used for now. I'm 100% certain it won't show projections for draft or IFA prospects before signed. That is just a wild guess, but can't possibly be the case. A line from the update post by admin- "A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*" this certainly shows that all scouting budgets will work as they have in the past. Adv is only relevant now because there won't be distinguishable growth patterns. For people that never or rarely trade, 0 in adv. Scouting is still the best option. And theres plenty of other ways to determine a prospects final ratings without patterns to look at either. I don't think this is as much as a game changer as many seem to think. In fact, it probably gives even more of an advantage to experienced owners and widens the gap.
You're 100% certain of a wild guess?
5/10/2015 7:06 PM

I'm about 73% certain that it was intended to work as I speculated.    Has WifS ever announce an update 3 weeks before implementation?   I don't think so.   Why then?   Because it's a HUGE change.

That said, the caterwauling from a few might convince them to scale it back.    Hence the long advance notice.  To test the waters before jumping in.

5/10/2015 7:12 PM
I hope not. Go for it!
5/10/2015 7:20 PM
I hope it works exactly as I laid out.   I've got a plan for all three of my long-term teams(all 0 ADV) and have no problem sharing it.

MG:  This team is on it's last legs.   A retooling is in order.   10-C, 0-HS, 4-IFA.    C stays the same, IFA to 8, ADV to 4.    I won't be able to really know where IFA/C players project but I'll make it work.   I wouldn't have had much better with 14 in C as planned so I'll work it with 10.

Coop:  This team is at it's peak.   0-C, 4-HS, 1-IFA.   HS, IFA and ADV go +4.   I think this team has 2-4 seasons of run left in them so it really is unaffected because I'll have time to get the scouting where I need it to be.

Mantle:   Retooled a couple of seasons ago.   0-C, 12-HS, 1-IFA.   +4 ADV.  Not sure about IFA.  That's it. 

Three teams in three different situations.   Going up, going down, peak.     A plan for all three.    While your budgets might not be the same currently, your team is in one of those three places. 
5/10/2015 7:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/10/2015 7:12:00 PM (view original):

I'm about 73% certain that it was intended to work as I speculated.    Has WifS ever announce an update 3 weeks before implementation?   I don't think so.   Why then?   Because it's a HUGE change.

That said, the caterwauling from a few might convince them to scale it back.    Hence the long advance notice.  To test the waters before jumping in.

Whatever it is they need to be upfront about that.

Will ADV now be tied to the rest or not?

There is no reason not to address that question.
5/10/2015 7:51 PM
◂ Prev 1...38|39|40|41|42...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.