May 26th Update - Feedback Topic

Posted by rockindock on 5/26/2015 2:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchales_army on 5/26/2015 1:36:00 PM (view original):
Like 35% have voted NO on the poll.

Is there a legitimate reason an owner might think that they should be able to see this info?

I wish someone who has voted NO would respond. I must be missing something.
I had to think about it for a minute but I voted no.  I would be totally fine with hiding the Prospect Payroll for reasons stated.  But hiding the Player Payrolls would just be a huge pain for trading (also already mentioned).  When looking for a suitable trading partner you can narrow your search down to a handful of teams in certain circumstances, which saves the potential huge hassle of trade chatting EVERY team to see how much cap space they have.  And then you have to wait for everyone to respond before pursuing things.  I feel like it would make trading more of a pain and therefore I wouldn't want to do it as much, without much upside.  What is the big upside of hiding the Player Payroll?  If it's so you can't derive the potentially hidden scouting budget, you can fix that too.  Just don't show the "original" player payroll too.  Just only show the "current" Player Payroll.  That's all you need for trading anyway.
5/26/2015 2:40 PM
During Free agency I can see who is bidding and who isn't. I can see how many are offering max deals, and I can look at coaching budget to determine if they can outbid me on a tie-breaking pitching or bullpen coach.

There isn't any real life team that knows that kind of detail about their opponents and neither should we.

5/26/2015 2:44 PM
Posted by mongoose_22 on 5/26/2015 2:23:00 PM (view original):
"The downside to that is that he can "tell" you that you need to include some additional cash in order to enable the trade to go through when they in fact have plenty of cap space.  And nobody would have anyway of knowing otherwise."

I don't necessarily have a problem with this either. Though, you could simply make all of the other teams budgets not visible. But on the trade screen, simply show how much salary room the other team has left. Thoughts?
I would be ok with this.  This would remedy my whole reason for voting NO in the poll.  I just don't want no information and have to trade chat everyone to see if theyre a potential trade partner.  That sounds terrible.
5/26/2015 2:44 PM
Secondly how about the "Joe Schmo is available for anyone needing a big time bat down the stretch" WC post. That usually garners interest AND woyuld only garner interest from teams/owners that could afford Joe.
5/26/2015 2:45 PM
I understand the trading issue. It would take more time to work out a trade. We all don't have the time to play HBD 24/7. I understand. However, I believe most trades are initiated by an owner posting or adding to the trade block the player he wants to trade. Any interested owners would know what they can and can't afford to offer. I don't think it would be that much more time consuming.
5/26/2015 2:47 PM
The whole idea of "having to trade chat all 31 teams" is just absurd and basically a straw man.

The trade block/trade needs/ and world chat posts are sufficient or should be.
5/26/2015 2:52 PM
One potential solution - allow people to propose trades that may violate the cap for the other owner.  The sim will make it so that the proposee won't be able to actually accept the offer - he can only receive it and use it to start a discussion with the other owner about a viable trade.  That way people can't use the trade page to deduce other owner's budgets.  It's ridiculous that we can use the trade page to see how much owners are offering to free agents during free agency.  Eliminating the budget from the trade proposal page would eliminate this loophole.
5/26/2015 2:53 PM
Posted by tzentmeyer on 5/26/2015 1:10:00 PM (view original):
A good point made on being able to view player payroll consumed versus needing to know Player Payroll Budget. Same can be said for prospect payroll.budget and coach payroll/budget.  Created a poll above for general feelings.

Another user mentioned a private rule enforcing minimum values used - this automated enforcement setting (along with a few others) is something we've been considering.
tz you may need to have a maximum as well if this option is added
5/26/2015 2:55 PM
Yeah but sometimes to get a deal done you need to initiate it.  Just posting a world chat might give you a couple replies from the most active owners right away, but you won't really know who is possible.  What would happen is you end up guessing who is a candidate and considering deals for teams that aren't even a possibility just in case they are.  None of this sounds fun.  Just sounds cumbersome and would make the trading process more tedious in my opinion.
5/26/2015 3:01 PM
Posted by indy_angels on 5/26/2015 2:18:00 PM (view original):
But what is wrong with that. Everyone who saw Kris Bryant play in college knew he was going to be good. But not exactly how good. I think there is still value in using the scouting budget to understand exactly how good; solid ML starter, All-Star or HOF.
No franchise in the real world is going to spend zero on any kind of scouting. A team with no college scouts, and no front-office personnel dedicated to researching college players, is not going be among those who "saw Kris Bryant play in college." A team with crappy scouting is not going to get an accurate read on players in the real world, current or projected. "What is wrong with that" is that someone spending 0 on COL should not be able to get the exact same data as someone who spends $20M. Spending 0 should mean you open up your local paper, see that some kid homered off an 0-15 opponent last week, and draft him because you have nothing better to go on. If you're lucky, he makes it out of Low A some day. The chances of getting a solid ML player with 0 scouting should be very close to 0%, instead of 90% as is the case when you see accurate Current ratings.
5/26/2015 3:02 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/26/2015 2:52:00 PM (view original):
The whole idea of "having to trade chat all 31 teams" is just absurd and basically a straw man.

The trade block/trade needs/ and world chat posts are sufficient or should be.
That wouldn't even give you enough information from the most active owners let alone most owners who don't let the world know their thoughts and desires at all times.
5/26/2015 3:02 PM
I have no idea how many "blind" offers I've accepted but I bet I can count it on one hand.    Those offers are often horrible and I find that discussion prior to an offer is a much better way to trade.
5/26/2015 3:04 PM
I'm telling you - just allow people to propose trades that send the other owner over the cap - it will get the conversation started.  The sim can prevent the owner from accepting the trade.
5/26/2015 3:06 PM
Alright, I'm just saying, I don't want to be on a position to waste my time making offers to teams who couldn't accept even if they wanted to. It's not about blind offers or anything else. It's about narrowing down before the first offer or conversation. To me that's a big time saver and comes with very little drawback
5/26/2015 3:14 PM
Well, I suggested that about two pages ago so I'm not sure who you're telling.

And I have no problem with allowing the owner to accept.   Just have it voided like it gets voided now when you exceed a future season payroll.
5/26/2015 3:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...26 Next ▸
May 26th Update - Feedback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.