Wish list for HBD updates Topic

With the recent HBD update and with more coming on the way, I figure it would be good to start a forum to discuss what we would like to see in future updates. See what everyone thinks and agrees on.

My two big ones are:

Have the amature draft over 3 cycles.

Cycle 1: first round draft only
Cycle 2: sandwich picks and 2nd round picks
Cycle 3: all the rest of the rounds.

It would allow owners to adjust accordingly to guys that were drafted, who they picked up and who was left.

2) No minimum roster sizes when making promotions/demotions before spring training.

This one drives me nuts. I want to see how my squads look with a couple of guys moved before making more room but the sim always says 'minimum roster size 20' so I have to move a bunch of guys before I can have a look at my new minor league squad. Then move a bunch of guys again.
6/10/2015 7:41 AM
There is an HBD Suggestion forum.
6/10/2015 7:45 AM
i agree with #2
6/10/2015 7:56 AM
I suggested #1 years ago.   #2 would lead to all kinds of roster problems in the minors.   I'd say roughly 30% of owners ignore their minors.  Give them the opportunity to have 8 in LoA and they'll have 8 in LoA.   Basically that would require minor league roster rules in private worlds.   As a commish, I don't want to monitor minor league rosters.   If the games sim, I'm good.   No thanks for #2. 
6/10/2015 8:13 AM
I really like the 1st one, but it may provide too big of an advantage for those of us who are on far more often than others.
6/10/2015 9:48 AM
 #1 would depend on how long these cycles are. If you are talking about the normal cycles that HBD uses then it is probably a non starter because it would give a big advantage to people who are on more often. 

I'm on here a lot because most of the time I work from home but when I am travelling I can't get on for any significant amount of time until after 6PM.

For it to work and be fair the draft would have to take place over a 3 day period. AM cycle drafts then you have till the next AM cycle to make adjustments.
6/10/2015 11:54 AM
Truth is, it's not going to matter very much.   Maybe I need a C or  SS.   So I "over rank" a few guys to make sure it happens.   Surprisingly, I get the first on my list and don't want the other 2-3.   Then I'd do it because I've filled a need.    But, if I don't "over rank" anyone, there's really no reason to re-do the list.   You should probably want the best available and make it work from there.
6/10/2015 12:45 PM
I actually really like both of these suggestions. The draft one is actually prett much in line with what MLB does these days, as they stretch I ou over three days.

And I agree that the minimum roster size prevents a lot of flexibility before the season.

6/10/2015 1:40 PM
A first round live draft would be pretty awesome.  
6/10/2015 1:56 PM
This would probably be a kick in the sack to a lot of people but I'd like #2 if the season couldn't start until every team had at least 25 active players at every minor league level except rookie.    Sure, wanna have 8 in LoA while you "figure it out"?   Go ahead.    But you're gonna have to have 17 more before the world can actually start the season.
6/10/2015 2:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/10/2015 2:17:00 PM (view original):
This would probably be a kick in the sack to a lot of people but I'd like #2 if the season couldn't start until every team had at least 25 active players at every minor league level except rookie.    Sure, wanna have 8 in LoA while you "figure it out"?   Go ahead.    But you're gonna have to have 17 more before the world can actually start the season.
I could live with that
6/10/2015 3:02 PM
I'd be in favour of that if the minor league player (or lack of players) issue was addressed. I know a lack of minor league players is a result of people not signing their draft picks, not promoting guys etc....but I think some tweaks can still be done on the programming side to address the problem. I know there is the tryout camp but there should be way more guys willing to play in AAA/AA in my opinion. My one world has had zero minor league guys available past spring training for the past few seasons. I've demoted guys from AAA to Low A/Rookie in the past rather than release them when I'm promoting guys at year end, and they generally end up retiring even though they would become a free agent since they have 6 years. They should not be willing to sign with me, but they shouldn't retire or should retire less often.
6/10/2015 3:19 PM
Think of how much fun it would be.

"Commish, why aren't we playing?   ST was over 3 days ago?"
"WifS says Jimbob3785 only has 11 players on his LoA roster."
"Jimbob!!!!  Complete your LoA roster!!!!"
"Uh, I don't have any cap space left."
"So make a trade!!"
"I've tried.  I don't like any of the offers."
"So what are you gonna do?"
"Wait until I get a good offer."
"So hold the world hostage because you can't manage a cap?"
"That's one way to look at it."
"#(NJ(#)*Y#(*H@&&@@)^@^@%^(*&!!!!!!!!!!!!"
6/10/2015 3:25 PM
Posted by gman981981 on 6/10/2015 3:19:00 PM (view original):
I'd be in favour of that if the minor league player (or lack of players) issue was addressed. I know a lack of minor league players is a result of people not signing their draft picks, not promoting guys etc....but I think some tweaks can still be done on the programming side to address the problem. I know there is the tryout camp but there should be way more guys willing to play in AAA/AA in my opinion. My one world has had zero minor league guys available past spring training for the past few seasons. I've demoted guys from AAA to Low A/Rookie in the past rather than release them when I'm promoting guys at year end, and they generally end up retiring even though they would become a free agent since they have 6 years. They should not be willing to sign with me, but they shouldn't retire or should retire less often.
People get mad because I'm too harsh but WifS can't fix stupid.    If owners won't sign their crappy draftees, won't promote and generally ignore their minors, you end up with a shortage.   WifS gave up tryout camp players to solve the problem.   A guy in AAA for 7 years with 10 years total in the minors while never sitting on a BL shouldn't continue playing.   It's time for him to go to work at his dad's hardware store.
6/10/2015 3:39 PM
So for #2 why not have the same solution as rookie ball? If a team doesn't have 25 players per minor league roster then AI signs your tryout camp guys and fills the rosters.

I also say you could fix guys not paying attention to their minor league teams by having guys have better development on better teams.

My thought, how can a pitcher improve when he is exhausted and pitching everyday? Or when a player is covering 3 positions.
6/10/2015 3:47 PM
12 Next ▸
Wish list for HBD updates Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.