Nothing stops people from tanking. -- MikeT23 Topic

1. Yes, no problem with that.

2. I will point out that the same player OPS'd at a .775 rate (likely an outlier on the plus side) the following season, but his .607 OPS in the season in question feels equally like an outlier on the negative side. As you know, sometimes players have inexplicably poor seasons. Would you have still been ******** as vigorously if his 44/18 defensive season was coupled with above league average offense? Though I will admit that there must have been better options available that season than the player in question to use at 3B.

3. If "win threshold" is not referring to the MWR, then what is it referring to? Because MWR IS the "win threshold".

I was not OK with the 0(0) pitchers or the tanking down the stretch. Nor were others (besides you).
5/5/2016 10:52 AM
2. Had the player had a .775 OPS, he'd have certainly warranted a starting position. His ratings indicated not 3B but, if he was the best option, I expect I say nothing. But, as you stated, there was probably a better option.

3. My "win threshold" IS NOT the MWR. Perhaps you remember shobob in MG. The MWR never threatened him. However, as you know, I was all over him for failing to try to win.

Others were not OK with the horrible 3B either.

I'll repeat myself. Worlds have expectations besides hitting the MWR. We know teams have down years. But, when an owner is OBVIOUSLY losing on purpose, most good worlds will call him on it. willsauve was called on it in Mantle. By myself and others. You're welcome for me/others doing your job. Now say "Thank you" and STFU.

I'm guessing this didn't turn out how you thought it would.
5/5/2016 11:14 AM
I have an (un-named) fellow owner in one of my leagues that has racked up a pretty insane team. Here is his budget/records/fees over the last few seasons.

League rules are $110 over 2 and $170 over 3. That's pretty reasonable and consistent with the leagues I am in now, and the others I have been in previously. His team in my other leagues would - possibly - get bounced in one (all 100 loss teams get reviewed each season) and would (kind of) get restricted in another ($30 million cap on prospects), but I'd hazard to guess that he's good in 90% or more of leagues out there.

So the guy didn't break any of the rules. But its a pretty obvious tank job. How would any of you prevent this?
5/5/2016 1:04 PM
He's bounced in my worlds. 55/125/195/280

That's how.
5/5/2016 1:19 PM
Meh. He's not far off from your numbers. And your worlds happen to have a waiting list. Most don't. Most are waiting up to 8 weeks before rolling, So not sure thats a viable solution.
5/5/2016 1:32 PM
You know what happens to those who are "not that far off"? They get a boot in the ***.
5/5/2016 1:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/5/2016 11:14:00 AM (view original):
2. Had the player had a .775 OPS, he'd have certainly warranted a starting position. His ratings indicated not 3B but, if he was the best option, I expect I say nothing. But, as you stated, there was probably a better option.

3. My "win threshold" IS NOT the MWR. Perhaps you remember shobob in MG. The MWR never threatened him. However, as you know, I was all over him for failing to try to win.

Others were not OK with the horrible 3B either.

I'll repeat myself. Worlds have expectations besides hitting the MWR. We know teams have down years. But, when an owner is OBVIOUSLY losing on purpose, most good worlds will call him on it. willsauve was called on it in Mantle. By myself and others. You're welcome for me/others doing your job. Now say "Thank you" and STFU.

I'm guessing this didn't turn out how you thought it would.
No, it's going pretty much how I expected it to go.

I challenged something you posted as being inconsistent with how you've acted, and you're now getting all defensive, pissy and argumentative about it.
5/5/2016 2:02 PM
I've explained it to you. I behave very consistently in both worlds I commish and worlds where I'm simply an owner. I have expectations that owners don't blatantly attempt to not compete. If they do, I point it out. I think this says it all.

"I'll repeat myself. Worlds have expectations besides hitting the MWR. We know teams have down years. But, when an owner is OBVIOUSLY losing on purpose, most good worlds will call him on it. willsauve was called on it in Mantle. By myself and others. You're welcome for me/others doing your job. Now say "Thank you" and STFU."

Now you can thank me or I think we'll know you don't care as much about competition issues as a good commish should. If no one cares, you're going to have multiple owners racing to the bottom but still making the MWR. That's one step from going full 'tard.
5/5/2016 2:07 PM
Maybe you'd prefer to advertise Mantle with "Fun, friendly chat with helpful owners. Only need 9 to roll today!!!!"
5/5/2016 2:17 PM
You forgot to mention "no drama league".
5/5/2016 2:20 PM
So is it safe to assume you'd prefer I keep quiet when someone is obviously trying to lose? I'd hate to get in the way of the overpriced, yet available, veteran that you can have for the right prospect posts.
5/5/2016 2:26 PM
Calling out somebody for sending 0(0) pitchers into ML games, whether before or after roster expansion, is always appropriate.

Questioning somebody going 3-24 (or whatever) down the stretch after they secured their MWR target is also appropriate, although it's not unheard of for teams that are trying to win having an inexplicable and extended losing stretch.

It gets muddy, though, when you start micromanaging other peoples decisions on why they played Joe AverageVet for a whole season instead of Jimmy ReadyProspect, because as you know, there are any number of reasons why owners make the decisions they make on who gets playing time. It's not always tanking.
5/5/2016 2:51 PM
So you're defending this guy at 3B for a 61-101 team in S36? You evidently know nothing about HBD or tanking.

Player Profile: Quilvio Encarnacion - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
5/5/2016 2:54 PM
I mean, really, there is nothing "muddy" in there. .607 OPS, 44 errors, 18 negative plays.

Explain the "muddy" to me. Please.
5/5/2016 2:56 PM
I already said, there probably were better options than playing him at 3B.

And the .607 OPS was a negative outlier, especially when you take into account that he followed it up with .775 and .710 OPS seasons.
5/5/2016 3:07 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
Nothing stops people from tanking. -- MikeT23 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.