Why are so many leagues having difficulty filling? Topic

I'm new around these parts but I notice that many worlds have tons of openings and are challenged in filling up. For the vets around here, what the heck is going on? I understand that there are probably too many worlds, but that seems easy to address. I've also seem some complain about changes to the game or not enough changes, blah blah blah. That seems minimal to me. There are a certain number of avid players and recruiting of new players is always ongoing, I get that. But why in the world can't we figure out an apprropriate number of worlds and then populate them with interested players? Love to get some feedback on this, it does not seem incredibly complex to me but what do I know?
5/28/2016 12:05 AM
People who have invested years of their lives in a franchise don't want to see it vanish. If you eliminate a world with 20 players who are willing to wait however long it takes, some/many/most of those 20 will say to hell with HBD rather than join other worlds. If 8 of those 20 stay with HBD you could fill a couple of idle worlds while alienating 12 paying customers. If I joined one of those worlds by taking on a decimated franchise and paid for a few seasons of rebuilding that is about to pay off, I'm not going to be happy if WIS unilaterally makes it go poof thinking I'll put the $25 elsewhere. With a little effort, worlds that look hopeless often eventually fill.
5/28/2016 6:31 PM
Ultimately, they would solve a lot of problems if they could figure out the programming and let someone from a closed down world or merged worlds to keep their teams, stats and history. This is why so many worlds do not want to merge. And worlds with less than 10 owners continue to hold out hope.

If they did this, you would eliminate 75% of the open worlds and then they would create a demand. As well as, I believe the remaining worlds with opening would fill much, much faster. Once worlds role over within a week, you would lose less owners and keep people interested.

But they do not want to invest the time or resources into fixing this one issue.
5/28/2016 7:35 PM
For me, taking on a new team has become unattractive after the changes made to the draft. When I join a new world, I make a decision between taking on a contender or a rebuild, Taking on a contender is easy but boring...you make 2 or 3 tweaks then spend the season moving your HiA guys back and forth from the DL while waiting for the playoffs. Taking on a rebuild is more fun but requires patience, but after the changes it requires more patience than I can give. Now I need to wait 2-3 seasons (a $60 investment) to get my budgets to the place where projections have any meaning, And, even with high budgets, the chance for draft/IFA flameouts is there. If I join a world that struggles to fill, those 2-3 seasons may take a calendar year. When there are games where I can play a full baseball season in one day, waiting a year for a contender isn't a good option for me. That's why I now have $90 in credits and no desire to spend them.
5/31/2016 11:26 AM
The draft is infinitely better. This game has never been for those requiring a "quick fix of fake baseball".
5/31/2016 12:49 PM
I'm in the first season of a team rebuild in Riley world and never looked forward to a draft more than this one. Thanks to comp picks I had four in the top 60. Got six potential major leaguers in my first nine picks, all of whom were in my top 50 ranked prospects, including my 4th ranked at 19.

5/31/2016 3:06 PM
That's sort of the problem. I've had pretty good luck with as little as 12m but many haven't. They take a team with the 3rd pick and expect they should get a top 5 guy because it was pretty much a guarantee with 14m under the old program. That's no longer the case and anyone who "expects" that will be disappointed.

The top picks are less guaranteed and that's what many demanded for years. Sometimes, as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.
5/31/2016 3:21 PM
They're just whining about the so-called "projections". They see a projected 84 then they bitchfest when after the draft the player is projected as a 75. They're both inaccurate fake numbers anyway.

IMO the projections are for deciding which players to rank higher than others, and if you're drafting a player with the 3rd pick and you get the 12th best player then it's your own damn fault, same as it always was.

Seems to me like ******** because your girlfriend gets ranked a 7 instead of an 8.

5/31/2016 3:30 PM
Who the **** rated my girlfriend a 7? I'm gonna beat some ***.
5/31/2016 3:44 PM
you have a girlfriend? Does mrs t23 know?
5/31/2016 6:54 PM
Of course she doesn't.
5/31/2016 7:11 PM
I'm telling!
6/1/2016 7:16 PM
Strange. Months ago you needed to go public to fill. Right now it looks like all the open public leagues are pretty much dead, There are many private league waiting on 2-3 teams.
6/2/2016 6:17 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/31/2016 12:49:00 PM (view original):
The draft is infinitely better. This game has never been for those requiring a "quick fix of fake baseball".
Perhaps, but there is something to the argument that you should be able to adjust your budgets more in the first year of ownership. If you take over an awful team with the first overall pick, and the highest you can get your draft scouting to is $14M, that pick could potentially be wasted under the new format, even though the current owner did absolutely nothing wrong in his budgeting.
6/2/2016 11:44 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 6/2/2016 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/31/2016 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Perhaps, but there is something to the argument that you should be able to adjust your budgets more in the first year of ownership. If you take over an awful team with the first overall pick, and the highest you can get your draft scouting to is $14M, that pick could potentially be wasted under the new format, even though the current owner did absolutely nothing wrong in his budgeting.
In MLB when there is a change in front office, transition takes time. The new regime usually has a different organizational philosophy. Previous regime scouts are fired and new scouts are hired or brought along from another organization. Plus that new front office needs time to evaluate what they currently have and what needs they'll have in the draft.

I think the game reflects that with the 'neutral' starting budgets.
6/2/2016 12:07 PM
12 Next ▸
Why are so many leagues having difficulty filling? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.