Pre-Draft Trades (Teague and Rose trades so far) Topic

I like what the Pacers did getting Young and Teague. Gives George some good help.
7/1/2016 11:58 PM
Posted by nbafan23 on 7/1/2016 11:58:00 PM (view original):
I like what the Pacers did getting Young and Teague. Gives George some good help.
And now they get a C at a bargain price.
7/2/2016 10:48 AM
Posted by all3 on 7/2/2016 10:48:00 AM (view original):
Surprised they signed Al Jefferson when they really built their team to run more. He will do good against the teams that will try to slow them down. Don't think he'll start for them.
7/2/2016 12:59 PM
Posted by nbafan23 on 7/2/2016 12:59:00 PM (view original):
Surprised they signed Al Jefferson when they really built their team to run more. He will do good against the teams that will try to slow them down. Don't think he'll start for them.
How many NBA teams have Centers that get involved in the break? If the other 4 guys are running, does the C really need to, or would he just mess-up the spacing? As a Lakers' fan I'm picturing Jabbar walking up the floor for the Showtime Lakers and Shaq most times doing barely more for the Championship teams of the early 2000's. Give me a guy who's willing to rebound, block shots, and score around the basket over a runner any day.
7/2/2016 7:39 PM
Posted by all3 on 7/2/2016 7:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nbafan23 on 7/2/2016 12:59:00 PM (view original):
How many NBA teams have Centers that get involved in the break? If the other 4 guys are running, does the C really need to, or would he just mess-up the spacing? As a Lakers' fan I'm picturing Jabbar walking up the floor for the Showtime Lakers and Shaq most times doing barely more for the Championship teams of the early 2000's. Give me a guy who's willing to rebound, block shots, and score around the basket over a runner any day.
Yeah I get it but I don't think Jefferson will start over Turner but we will see.

Speaking of the Lakers. What do you think of their moves?
7/2/2016 11:37 PM
I think they were worried they would not reach the minimum amount of salary they have to spend so they went out and gave it to anyone who would take it. I feel sorry for Luke Walton.
7/3/2016 1:35 AM
I don't think the Lakers' moves were great by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think they were anywhere near as bad as some are making them out to be. As far as basketball abilities, Mozgov has exactly what the team needs from a Center - shot blocking, post defense and post offense. He's also supposedly great in the locker room and could be a perfect mentor for Zubac. He was hurting last season, so that's a concern, but it explains the drop in production. I think much of the same about Deng - versatile game, knocks down 3s and knows how to win. I can actually see him as the "go to" guy early in the season. He knows how to win, offers great leadership and may be a perfect example for Ingram to follow. Do I wish the deals had been a year or two shorter and cheaper? Sure, but that's today's NBA. Based on the way the last several "BIG" Lakers' signings and trades have worked-out, I'm willing to see how this plays-out. Ideally those two help the young guys play just well/poor enough to barely miss the Playoffs, then the ping-pong balls are kind so the '17 pick is kept, then a "bigger" FA (or 2) joins next off season. If that happens (even without the lottery being kind), and the young core continues to improve, Mozgov and Deng could be incredible influences, leaders, and 2nd-unit players for a pretty good team. Sure that's pretty optimistic, but I don't think it's stretching the realm of possibility at all.
7/3/2016 10:14 AM
Deng is a great signing. The Lakers needed a good locker room guy to help with their young players.

The sixers desperately need a player like Deng or those players won't reach their potential and will more than likely leave at end of contract.
7/3/2016 10:29 AM
all3 you said "I think much of the same about Deng - versatile game, knocks down 3s and knows how to win. I can actually see him as the "go to" guy early in the season. He knows how to win, offers great leadership and may be a perfect example for Ingram to follow."
How do you figure Deng knows how to win? He hasn't even been to the NBA finals.
7/3/2016 1:33 PM
He also didn't do much to advance the young players in Cleveland. In fact, all you heard was how he was out of place and didn't fit. Didn't take Lebron James long to turn those guys around.

The Lakers moves were terrible because of the length of the contracts. If they signed these guys to massive 1 year contracts with a team option for year 2, no big deal, but they didn't do that.
7/4/2016 9:03 AM
I'm sure all your crystal balls are right, but I'll wait to see how things play-out.
Comparing Deng to LBJ is supposed to be a put-down? He's been on what losing teams? I'll take the words of teammates and coaches over WIS "experts".
7/4/2016 10:21 AM
Posted by moranis on 7/4/2016 9:03:00 AM (view original):
He also didn't do much to advance the young players in Cleveland. In fact, all you heard was how he was out of place and didn't fit. Didn't take Lebron James long to turn those guys around.

The Lakers moves were terrible because of the length of the contracts. If they signed these guys to massive 1 year contracts with a team option for year 2, no big deal, but they didn't do that.
This is funny. I guess since he didn't back talk his coach or get kicked out of games/practice that means he didn't fit in. Common that 13/14 Cavs team was a mess and embarrassment.
Deng was a good signing for Lakers as was JC.

It's a poor free agent class and a big boost of money for teams, there will be questionable contacts, but they'll be forgotten next offseason.
7/4/2016 10:35 AM
No question Cleveland was a mess, but they brought Deng in to help guide the young players and all he did was pout and publically complain about the situation. That doesn't strike me as a leader or a guy willing to put in the effort to lead young guys. And for all the mess that was Cleveland in 13/14, the Lakers are a far greater mess. Deng doesn't make any sense at all for the Lakers. I get the Mozgov signing (though the years are way too many), but Deng is just silly for that team.
7/4/2016 11:48 AM
Well he complained because you had Dion Waiters acting like a child and then playing 35+ minutes a game. There was no consequences for the players actions and I believe that's what he was upset about.
Any who, I think he'll help out with Ingram, Randle and Nance. When you are a team as bad as the Lakers, it's hard to find veteran players who help with the locker room, most prefer to go to a playoff squad.
If Luke Walton runs a circus in LA like they had in Cleveland, maybe he won't work out. I just dont see that being the case.
7/4/2016 12:01 PM
you mean like D'Angelo Russell releasing videos of his teammates and then continuing to play. Or Nick Young and all his childish pranks. And on and on. I get some of the mess that was the Lakers was the Kobe farewell tour, but that team brought in veterans to help the young guys last year (Bass, Hibbert, Williams) and it didn't work at all because guys like that (and Deng) don't have the clout to do anything. Deng will not do anything for that team other than whatever points, rebounds, or assists he gets (which will be dwindling because he is past his prime). Signing him makes absolutely no sense for the Lakers.
7/4/2016 1:20 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Pre-Draft Trades (Teague and Rose trades so far) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.