advice for the NEXT LEVEL Topic

Yes I agree with that, it's like it says in the trial league tips, a 10 game window is a small one so stats and numbers that don't match up to averages of a whole season and so the same is applied to the playoff series where randomness wins.  So to add onto what Ash said, it's the mastering the numbers initially and going to the playoffs with adjustments here or there and letting the randomness figure it out.
5/4/2014 10:15 PM
Posted by bizzarrd on 5/4/2014 4:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by felonius on 5/3/2014 4:21:00 PM (view original):
I think that's missing the point - practice and research get you to the point where you can win 50+ games pretty much consistently BUT here we are talking about the "next level" - the contention being once you get into the semis and further you tend to be playing other owners who have the same chops you do and have done the same research and practice and that's when things rely increasingly on luck - the closer to equal all the other factors are the closer you get to what is essentially a coin flip - that should be self evident really
Have to totally agree. I've gotten to the point of consistently winning teams relatively quickly--6 seasons, no losing records, 4 playoffs, 3 finals (all thanks largely to ash's excellent advice in this forum)--but only 1 championship, which was really just luck. I'm confident I can put together 50-wins teams, but in the postseason I feel like I'm at the mercy of the sim. You just can't predict the stuff that happens in these playoffs. Particularly after the 1st round, it's a crapshoot.
It's not a crapshoot and u can predict some playoff series.  If it was a crapshoot, why do some owners (like myself) win titles consistently?  There's a difference between a 50 win open league team and an OL title team.  For instance, ur current OL team is built kinda strange...............
5/7/2014 7:46 PM
nc17 - it's not a crap shoot until the teams are more or less even and then it's totally a crapshoot - a league like the ODL where most of the owners are sharks is a good example of this but you don't even need examples it's kind of a priori
5/8/2014 9:30 AM
Posted by felonius on 5/8/2014 9:30:00 AM (view original):
nc17 - it's not a crap shoot until the teams are more or less even and then it's totally a crapshoot - a league like the ODL where most of the owners are sharks is a good example of this but you don't even need examples it's kind of a priori
Exactly. The first round may be somewhat predicable, but once those weaker playoff team are eliminated it is, as felonius says, totally a crapshoot.

NC7: how is my current team built kind of "strange"? FYI, it's a version (same starters) of the team that won my only championship. Of course, I've only played a grand total of 506 games compared to your 5,514 (although I have a better winning percentage than you - LOL) and I'm always open to advice from more experienced owners. Is my team built for regular season success but not playoffs? What do you feel is wrong/strange with it? 
5/8/2014 3:12 PM
bizzard, look at the play by play towards the end of the first quarter of this game  http://whatifsports.com/NBA/pbp.asp?gameid=8400428&qtr=1&teamfee=9.95
ur starters are Beverly, Cooper, Mack, Evans, Barnes.  That isn't enough usage tier points to keep u out of the team usage penalty.  Basically, u don't have proper backups for Shaq and LBJ.  Also, unless ur running a high assist team, I wouldn't recommend starting LBJ at the SF position.
5/8/2014 6:03 PM
Thanks,nc7, I see what you mean. But part of my current problem with this team is that they've played 5 OT periods in the last week (one triple, two singles), so my minutes and substitutions are screwed up badly.
5/8/2014 7:00 PM
◂ Prev 12
advice for the NEXT LEVEL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.