Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

I'll list a few. Please feel free to help out the masses.
1. Don't release a player to clear cap money. That is NOT the way to do it.
2. Don't sign players under contract to L/T contracts before free agency. You might get a better option and you'll be stuck. This doesn't mean arbitration eligible players.
3. Don't overuse your pitchers in spring training. Those pitches/innings carry over into the regular season.
4. Always check minor league options when making a trade. If he has none, he must stick with the big club or clear waivers. You might be trading for nothing if you intend to keep him as minor league insurance.
5. Don't put anyone on your MLB roster unless you intend to take him to the majors(this will change as ADMIN will be adding a Rule V feature). As soon as he's on the 40, his option years start to tick off.
6. Know what you're doing before you do it. Most of us wanted to "do something". And that's how 1-5 on this list came to be.
6/1/2006 12:59 PM
In regards to number one, what do you do to clear cap space?
6/1/2006 1:02 PM
Waivers or trades.
I traded expensive players and good prospects for cheaper versions of the expensive guy.
If a player you waived is picked up, you're only responsible for a pro-rated portion of his salary.
6/1/2006 1:04 PM
Your point 4 is well taken. I have rejected a couple of offers for minor leaguers with no option . If it goes trough , my first trade will gibe me a very good AA pitcher with a full compliment of options. And the 2 other minor leaguers i get will also have all of their options .
I did not make a lot of trades. 2 so far.
6/1/2006 1:05 PM
7. Free Agency is a lot like recruiting in GD and HD. Players will work you against the other teams, and there's always a Steinbrenner type owner that will try to outbid everyone. Target your guys and budget accordingly.
8. Recruiting coaches is the same thing. We still don't know the long term effect of good/bad/mediocre coaching, so we're all shooting blind.
9. MikeT gets really mad when you complain about pitching fatigue.
6/1/2006 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By toddcommish on 6/01/2006
9. MikeT gets really mad when you complain about pitching fatigue.
Ya think!!! Just kidding MikeT.

6/1/2006 1:08 PM
GRRRRR!!!!
6/1/2006 1:10 PM
Here's another one I've learned the hard way:
Avoid filling your MLB roster with guys who don't have any options , especially if they're not very good. It makes it very, very difficult to make room on your MLB roster for other players (claimed off the WW, promoted from AAA, etc.) because players with no options have to clear waivers before they can be demoted. That means you'll be stuck waiting for 3 days (unless he gets claimed by another team) to open up his roster spot.
6/1/2006 1:10 PM
I made a waiver mistake. I put a good pitcher on waivers to make way for a AAA pitcher wich i believe is ready for the big league. As he was rated 50, i lost him. Meanwhile, i had 2 pitchers injured ( both are on the 60 days DL. So, there was more than enough room to bring my AAA player on the roster and i would not have lost that pitcher.
Next time, i will wait the end of ST before making any move and try to trade the guy instead of waiving him.
I realise my mistake as soon as i hit the submit button but it was too late
6/1/2006 1:11 PM
I think you're stuck for three days whether he's claimed or not.
6/1/2006 1:11 PM
Oh, and #5 above is big. If you play SLB, you're used to having a free bus ride from AAA to the Bigs and back. It don't play dat way in HBD. Before you even bring a guy up, you have to move him to the 40-man. Once he's up, you've used an option (once those are gone, you can't send him down unless he clears waivers). Also, you're starting him on the slippery slope towards arbitration and free agency.
6/1/2006 1:12 PM
Don't get caught up in bidding wars for players or coaches because you'll end up overpaying big time. Some of the contracts signed at the beginning of the season were completely ridiculous.
6/1/2006 1:12 PM
#5 has been my biggest mistake. I've got 3-4 guys that won't be ready until next year or the year after who are "on the clock" because I put them on the 40.
6/1/2006 1:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 6/01/2006
#5 has been my biggest mistake. I've got 3-4 guys that won't be ready until next year or the year after who are "on the clock" because I put them on the 40.
Ditto. Ah well, that's how we learn.
6/1/2006 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MikeT23 on 6/01/2006I think you're stuck for three days whether he's claimed or not.
That's correct. He isn't awarded to another team until the claiming period is over.
6/1/2006 1:22 PM
1|2|3...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.