Official Greg Oden Tracking Thread Topic

although the funny thing is veteran stars rarely complain about losing touches if it results in winning (see: paul pierce, ray allen, kevin garnett)
12/11/2009 5:13 PM
I really loved seeing Oden shooting over %60 from the field this year and thought that his inside game had progressed enough to warrant more FGAs. He had a really good give-and-go action going in the half court offense with Andre Miller this year.

Roy is terrific. But he isn't Kobe. He already is set for life with his new deal. Why he is so concerned with getting, "his touches" baffles me.

Do you really think that the PDX fans, or Paul Allen, would care whether or not Roy's stats go up if the team can't win in the playoffs.

If Oden can get healthy and his offensive game continues to get better than he has to be a higher option in the team's offense. If Oden can produce inside doesn't that make everybody else's offensive game that much easier even if their numbers are lower?
12/12/2009 12:04 PM
Do you think Oden will ever actually be "healthy?"
12/12/2009 2:34 PM
Great question gin_caesar.

Oden has a, from what I recall, physical abnormality that really concerns me regarding future leg and back injuries.

I remember Kevin Pritchard being very concerned about Oden's potential physical issues before he drafted him. One of the issues was that Oden had one leg that was one inch longer than the other one. We were told that this was normal for a 7'0'' foot tall person.

What I can tell you is that I am 6'3'' and 230 lbs. I used to play a lot of ball. I injured my back at work when I was younger and it wouldn't heal 100% for several months. I found out that one of my legs was 1/2 inch longer than the other one and until a correction was made my back wouldn't heal. I got a 1/4 inch insert or lift that I have worn ever since and my back has never been seriously hurt again.

But I was told that any discrepancy in leg length of more than 1/2 inch was not correctable with a lift. And I was told that my body would never adapt to a 1/2 inch correction using a built up sole on my shoes.

A one inch discrepancy in leg length is huge and can't be fixed from what I was told by the doctors.

My fear is that there is no way to correct Oden's leg length issue. And that because he is a 285 lb athlete who is exerting untold amounts of pressure per square inch on his legs and back on every play he will be prone to injury no matter what. His balance is slightly off so the pressure will never be 100% on both legs when he jumps powerfully.

I'm no doctor and a bit of a worry wort. Oden is still very young. I love the Blazers as much as anyone and bleed the PDX warm and fuzzy kool aid.

But in short I do have concerns about whether or not Oden will ever be able to stay healthy for any one season or group of 3 or 4 seasons put together.

Any other thoughts on this?
12/12/2009 9:38 PM
What you need to keep in mind with leg length discrepancies is that it can be a "functional" or "structural" difference. For example, If your muscles length/tension relationships are off, you may hold one of your legs higher than the other due to the hip being lifted higher from muscle tension. If it's structural, then no matter what, your leg length is one inch different, but with lifts and a commitment to integrated functional exercise, he could minimize alot of the problems that occur due to the stresses his own body puts on itself.

In a quick and quite hopeless plug- Greg, if you are listening, check out www.tridfitness.com and I'll be happy to have a consultation with you to discuss how I could help you.

-Eric Sp.
12/12/2009 11:40 PM
I know that my issue is a structural difference with the length of the bone being 1/2 inch longer on my right side. Don't know if Oden's leg length difference is a structural or a funtional issue.
12/13/2009 12:06 AM
another one bites the dust
12/22/2009 9:31 PM
not a good year for kneecaps.
12/22/2009 10:07 PM
Terrible year for the Blazers injury wise. Joel Pryzbilla was an excellent role player.
12/22/2009 11:08 PM
Apparently Jeff Pendergraph is better than them both anyway.
12/31/2009 8:58 AM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 12/8/2009 11:59:00 AM (view original):

Striking similarity...

Good thread. This is my favorite post.

Wish I could find the one where someone said Durant was never going to be a Top 20 NBA player.
12/2/2011 5:57 PM
a lot of sad here, just a lot of sad
12/2/2011 8:17 PM
Called it...
12/10/2011 1:22 PM
Oden injured again....
12/14/2011 1:44 PM
bump for future bump.
11/1/2013 11:33 AM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Official Greg Oden Tracking Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.