1965 AL ROY Curt Blefary + Topic

katt: thank you for sharing that wonderfull memory. It made me smile as I start my day! It brings back memories of my dad who was 59 when I was born. He would talk about Walter Johnson who was the idol of every kid growing up in the midwest. He would get this gleam in his eye and a wry smile on his face as he recounted all the stories of the Big Train and his dominance.. ones I later came to recall again when I read Johnson's biography by his grandson. Johnson, was as real to me as any modern player growing up in the 70's. He also would tell me stories of the gas house gang... one of my favorites being his watching Satchel Page outduel Dizzy Dean 1-0 in a 1935 exhibition. He performed his medical residency in St Louis during the depression.

Threads like this show whats makes baseball THE timeless great game.

And thank to you doggie. Your threads are one of the best parts of this site.

10/20/2009 7:24 AM
Cool stuff. Thanks!!
10/21/2009 1:47 PM

Through the Looking Glass: It's a Bird, it's Superman!

It’s September 11, 1970 and the Orioles are a cinch to win the American League East -- much to the chagrin of the New York Yankees, their opponent that night.

Some weeks earlier, New York outfielder Curt Blefary had told his teammates that they could still catch Baltimore because the Orioles weren’t supermen.

Here, Orioles slugger Frank Robinson suggests otherwise, ripping open his shirt as Blefary roars with laughter.

The Orioles won 108 games that season, swept Minnesota to win the American League flag and then defeated Cincinnati, four games to one, to win their second World Series.Sun file photo by William Hotz http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/through_the_looking_glass/

10/23/2009 6:34 AM

2/5/2013 11:11 AM
I remember that incident with Blefary and the Orioles very well: The Yankees had traded my favorite player for Blefary who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his bat that year. 

The Orioles of that era were supermen: the 1969 Mets and Roberto Clemente in 1971 were kryptonite. 
2/5/2013 12:56 PM
◂ Prev 12
1965 AL ROY Curt Blefary + Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.