What are you reading? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
More than Aquaman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3yb-Zuykfc

5/2/2015 2:37 PM
Posted by dino27 on 4/28/2015 7:22:00 PM (view original):
Killing O' Reilly by The Ghost of Walter Cronkite ( and his ghostwriter ).
lol
5/3/2015 9:17 AM
Just for kicks, I am reading It Can't Happen Here, by Sinclair Lewis, 1936. Very interesting so far, especially as he talks about Europe.
5/4/2015 8:40 AM
I just finished Replay by Ken Grimwood, on the recommendation of someone here (I forget who).  Great concept, great plot twists, and a moving story.  My only criticism is the main characters aren't entirely fleshed out, and the writing can be pretty pedestrian.  Still, a real page-turner.
6/4/2015 9:04 AM
Oblomov (1859) by Ivan Goncharov.  Well-written but slow-moving novel (in the 19th century Russian style) about a nobleman who's going through a mid-life crisis.  Oblomov's lazy and apathetic and doesn't even get out of bed for the first couple hundred pages of the story (it's a nearly 500 page novel).  It starts off as a satire of the Russian gentry, especially those who have been spoiled since birth and as a consequence are utterly useless, yet you wind up feeling the most sympathy for the main character, since he's the most decent person in the book -- a cross between Hamlet and Jeff Bridges' "Dude" -- and really, he's sort of got a point.  Why get out of bed if you don't have to? 
6/30/2015 12:50 AM
OUT OF NEW STUFF TO READ, WAITING ON AMAZON DELIVERY.

RE-READING: THE MARCH----E.L. DOCTOROW + THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP-- JOHN IRVING
6/30/2015 5:22 PM
Just finished Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty by Charles Leerhsen.  SAVE YOUR TIME - DO NOT READ THIS TRIPE.  Very poorly written; high school quality writing (as if it were written by a C student in Advanced English, not as if it were written for high schoolers like the Hunger Games trilogy {I dare anyone to find a semicolon in any of those three books}).  His thesis is that Cobb was really just a super-aggressive player who pushed the legal limits of the game (not unlike Pete Rose, although he is slothlike in making that analogy).  For all the off-field incidents that clouded Cobb's life, the author's ongoing zeitgeist is that while a half dozen other sources give Explanation A - sources that may include Cobb himself - here's an Explanation B that paints Cobb in a nicer light!  Footnotes are non-existent: text notes are crammed in the back with no reference in the actual text.  While the truth is probably somewhere between the accepted Cobb lexicon and what Mr. Leerhsen has written (again, badly: had I turned in a paper as poorly written and sourced as this in high school I would not have received a passing grade) I would like to have seen it presented by a more capable writer.
7/3/2015 11:28 AM
I am on the third book of "Song of Ice and Fire" (Game of Thrones). Can't put 'em down. 
7/3/2015 3:12 PM
Posted by italyprof on 7/3/2015 3:11:00 PM (view original):
So it is not the Ty Cobb paradigm-changer we have been led to believe by some of the hype around the book. Thanks for taking that on pinotfan. Now we know. 
It is, in that his hypothesis is that Ty was misunderstood and not that different than his contemporaries.  It's just so poorly written and documented ...
7/3/2015 3:17 PM
"Honor Harrington" series by David Weber. First class sci-fi.
7/3/2015 3:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...22|23|24|25|26...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.