What are you reading? Topic

Having some more downtime on vacation, I just now finished Pedro by Pedro Martinez and Michael Silverman.  Easy read, well written and accessible.  It definitely gives more insight into Pedro's mentality, and what drove him (real or imagined).  The book does not shy away from his foibles, and at times lays bare some emotional aspects I was not expecting.  Overall a good read. 
7/4/2015 11:35 AM
Posted by dino27 on 7/4/2015 12:42:00 AM (view original):
I have the ty cobb book..i don't share the critism...and the al stump book cannot be trusted...im going to throw it away.
dino - don't know where your objection to my review lies, but my problem was with the writing not the thesis.  I agree about Stump, btw.
7/4/2015 11:38 AM
I finally finished Bob Dylan's Chronicles: Volume 1 (2004).  A weird book, as I sort of expected it would be, and quite uneven (was anyone in the world clamoring for a whole chapter on the making of his Daniel Lanois-produced 1989 album "Oh, Mercy"?).  But it's worth it for the great sections on Dylan's early career, when he first came to New York, for his insightful comments on the songwriters, performers and songs that moved him most, and also on his own creative breakthroughs.  The writing style is good, too: crisp and straight-forward in a Raymond Chandler way, with some fine whimsy and humor thrown in.  I'm hoping Dylan finishes the planned volumes II and III of this trilogy, because there's a lot more for him to say.
7/4/2015 1:30 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dino27 on 7/9/2015 7:09:00 PM (view original):
why is fitzgerald so hated by everyone.....the great gatsby was a great book...why is everyone always saying " f " Scott Fitzgerald....
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing "Ted 2" as well ... lol
7/10/2015 10:45 AM
JUST GOT FOR ME BIRTHDAY:

"BOTTOM OF THE NINTH: BRANCH RICKEY, CASEY STENGEL, AND THE DARING SCHEME TO SAVE BASEBALL FROM ITSELF"---MICHAEL SHAPIRO

"IN THE KINGDOM OF ICE--THE GRAND AND TERRIBLE POLAR VOYAGE OF THE USS JEANNETTE"--- HAMPTON SIDES
7/10/2015 11:28 AM
Donald Wolfe's The Black Dahlia Files (2006).  Well-searched book about the infamous 1947 murder that remains unsolved to this day, with some fascinating theories that are necessarily (at this late date) difficult to prove.  Wolfe was a teenager and living in LA at the time of the murder, and through his family connections knew some of the players involved -- it's this background/inside baseball stuff that makes the book really worth reading.
7/12/2015 1:54 AM
Stephen Kings Gunslinger
7/16/2015 7:43 PM

Are you the original Micki?  From Las Vegas?

7/16/2015 8:14 PM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

A rollicking romp through early 20th Century America, with the beautiful and determined Dagney Taggert along with the handsome and talented Hank Reardon fighting corrupt government and evil big business leaders, all the while searching for but secretly fearing to find the answer to the question, "Who is John Galt?".
7/19/2015 3:06 PM
I am up to the last 200 pages of "A Dance With Dragons" the fifth and last completed book up to now of the "Song of Ice and Fire " (Game of Thrones), by George R.R. Martin.

Someone please tell me: 

1) What am I going to do with my life in a couple of days when I have finished this last book?!!!"

2) How do I get Martin to finish "Winds of Winter" (book six) by tomorrow afternoon? (He's been working on it for like 5 years now).

7/20/2015 5:42 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.