What are you reading? Topic

David Foster Wallace I can take in small doses (the non-fiction, anyway -- can't stand the fiction). Willliam T. Vollman, too. Both graduates of The William Gass School of Holy Crap Am I Ever Smart and That's With You Only Getting About a Tenth of My Obscure References.

I enjoyed the youtube link to the Indiana Jones review italyprof posted about two days, and fifteen pages, ago.
5/6/2016 7:44 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 4/19/2016 6:33:00 AM (view original):
CALL ME SEXIST, BUT I'VE NEVER LIKED FEMALE WRITERS. AGATHA CHRISTIE BEING THE EXCEPTION
I've been guilty of this kind of sexism myself. Generally speaking, I won't go out of my way to read books written by women. But obviously there are some great female writers. Ten of my favorites:

FICTION
Flannery O'Connor
Grace Paley
Lorrie Moore
Mary Gaitskill
Alice Munro

NON-FICTION
Janet Malcolm
Barbara Ehrenreich
Jane Mayer
Svetlana Alexievich
Hannah Arendt
5/7/2016 12:15 AM
Ursula LeGuin is my favorite writer bar none (fiction).

5/7/2016 4:03 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
RECCOMENDED AUTHORS - CULT....RELATIVELY UNKNOWN.......OLDIES BUT GOODIES

1. DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI - CURRENT.......LIKE A DESCENDANT OF FREDERICK BROWN...PHILLY STYLE......THE MOST GUTSY , INVENTIVE WRITER ALIVE....QUENTIN TARRANTINO MEETS ROD SERLING MEETS RAYMOND CHANDLER....
2. PAUL AUSTER -CURRENT CUTTING EDGE LITERARY GENIUS...HE IS IN HIS OWN TIME ZONE
3. ARNALDUR INRIDASON - SCANDANAVIAN ( NORWAY ) WRITER OF INSPECTOR ERLENDUR SERIES...FIRST RATE...MODERN MASTER
4. -JASON STARR - HORROR - READ HIS WEREWOLF SERIES...2 IN...STARTS WITH THE PACK
5. BENTLEY LITTLE - LITTLE KNOWN HORROR WRITER VERY RESPECTED BY STEVEN KING......THE IGNORED MIGHT BE THE MOST IMAGINATIVE INTERESTING HORROR BOOK EVER WRITTEN.
6. JOHN O ' HARA - FROM THE 50S......NEVER LEAVE A HAT ON A BED.........HE WAS THE KINKS TO STEINBECK...HEMINGWAY....FITZGERALD.......REALLY GREAT STORIES.
7. JANA JANOWITZ. - .READ PEYTON AMBERG FOR A REALLY SEXY STORY
8 PETE HAMILL - I RECOMMEND SNOW IN AUGUST & FOREVER....2 GREAT FANTASY STORIES BY AN ESTEEMED AUTHOR
9 REPLAY BY KEN GRIMWOOD.....BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE .......THE GRETEST TIME TRAVEL BOOK EVER...PAST..PRESENT OR FUTURE....
9 TITAN SHERLOCK HOLMES BOOKS - MANY BOOKS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE CANNON.....THE BEST OF THE CURRENT AUTHORS AREGUY ADAMS AND JAMES LOVEGRAVE...CAVAN SCOTT...SKIP THE OTHERS....
10 JOE HILL - THE SON OF STEVEN KING...THE GREATEST HORROR WRITER IN THE WORLD....CREATIVITY THROUGH THE ROOF.
11 THE HARD CASE CRIME NOVELS - CUTTING EDGE NOIR PULP FICTION WITH THE GREATEST COVERS SINCE VARGAS....CHECK OUT THEIR WEBSITE.
5/9/2016 1:03 AM (edited)
MODERN SHORT STORY WRITERS

edgar kerut
ken kalfus
5/9/2016 11:39 AM
I'm finishing up

The Might Have Been: A Novel

by Joseph M. Schuster

It's sort of a baseball book. It's kind of depressing. It has its moments. At this point I'm sticking it out till the end, but I would be hard pressed to give it a strong recommendation.
5/9/2016 11:55 AM
Thornton Wilder's The Ides of March
5/9/2016 5:39 PM
I am reading bagchucker's post just above this one on this thread. Oh, wait, I am not any more.

I also wonder why Facebook always asks me what I am doing when I log on. I am looking at Facebook. What else would I be doing while looking at Facebook?
5/9/2016 5:51 PM
SELF-FLAGELLATION?
5/9/2016 5:56 PM
ANOTHER

DONALD WESTLAKE writng as RICHARD STARK.....the parker series...the parker charachter was the inspiration for the dark half by steven king.
5/9/2016 6:06 PM

Egon is running tests on Louis, who has been possessed by Gozer and is now the Keymaster]

Dr. Egon Spengler: Vinz, you said before you were waiting for a sign. What sign are you waiting for?

Louis: Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

5/9/2016 6:34 PM
Posted by italyprof on 5/9/2016 5:51:00 PM (view original):
I am reading bagchucker's post just above this one on this thread. Oh, wait, I am not any more.

I also wonder why Facebook always asks me what I am doing when I log on. I am looking at Facebook. What else would I be doing while looking at Facebook?
because of my choice in literatoor i presume

getting spammed derided denuded and fleeced
5/9/2016 6:34 PM
The llama is a quadruped which lives in the big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
5/9/2016 6:39 PM
now that sounds like TH White
5/9/2016 6:48 PM
◂ Prev 1...32|33|34|35|36...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.