What are you reading? Topic

Posted by pinotfan on 8/1/2015 9:55:00 PM (view original):
Wine & War- a chronicle of the efforts of French vignerons during WWII to protect their wines from the Germans.  Granted, it's probably more interesting to me as I know a lot of these families (but didn't know of their wartime activities), but still it's a good read.
A plausible premise for why the French would go to war.
8/3/2015 1:15 PM
I'm a big fan of the Lincoln Child/DouglasPreston Agent Pendergast series... new one coming up later this summer/fall.

Also the Lee Child Jack Reacher series... (I scoff at the Tom Cruise film).

Been on a Stephen King kick this summer... have read Joyland, The Stand, Under the Dome, Revival, Mr Mercedes & Finders Keepers and Dr Sleep (without having read The Shining, which is next on my list) all for the first time.
8/3/2015 3:32 PM
dr sleep is great,, and a bit better after the shining,,(suspension of disbelief) but, don't let spoilers spoil,,,

8/3/2015 3:59 PM
Street Fighters by Kate Kelly.  A look at the final 72 hours of Bear Stearns.  A very well written look at the overly leveraged Wall Street firm at the epicenter of the 2007/2008 economic meltdown.  Kelly puts you right in the clown car as it goes right over the cliff.  A great case study for how not to operate a business.
8/3/2015 4:24 PM
Has anyone read any of Malcolm Gladwell's books?
8/4/2015 4:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by evil_twin on 8/3/2015 4:24:00 PM (view original):
Street Fighters by Kate Kelly.  A look at the final 72 hours of Bear Stearns.  A very well written look at the overly leveraged Wall Street firm at the epicenter of the 2007/2008 economic meltdown.  Kelly puts you right in the clown car as it goes right over the cliff.  A great case study for how not to operate a business.
Haven't read it...how does the book treat Rich Marin?
8/4/2015 9:10 PM
Posted by Midge on 8/4/2015 4:49:00 PM (view original):
They're OK, not great.  Gladwell is an engaging writer, but he tends to grasp onto one idea and apply it excessively, in my opinion.  I like Michael Lewis much more.
8/4/2015 9:12 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 8/4/2015 9:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Midge on 8/4/2015 4:49:00 PM (view original):
They're OK, not great.  Gladwell is an engaging writer, but he tends to grasp onto one idea and apply it excessively, in my opinion.  I like Michael Lewis much more.
Malcolm Gladwell's always annoyed me, and he's one of the reasons I finally stopped renewing my New Yorker subscription (not that he's the worst writer they publish: there's also David Brooks and Lena Dunham, among others).

Anyway, here's a decent overview of Gladwell criticism, with plenty of links:

www.cjr.org/the_observatory/the_gladwellian_debate.php

Some vacation reading I've done recently:

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.  I'd attempted to read James before, but never got more than 10 pages in.  Someone told me this was his most readable novel (novella, really), and maybe that's true, since I managed to finish it.  But I don't think I'll ever be sophisticated enough to appreciate sentences like this:

"To gaze into the depths of blue of the child's eyes and pronounce their loveliness a trick of premature cunning was to be guilty of a cynicism of preference to which I naturally preferred to abjure my judgement and, so far as might be, my agitation."

That's a typical sentence for this book, by the way, chosen pretty much at random.  If you like it, go read the book.  It's full of that sort of stuff.

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky is another 19th century novella, a lot more readable than the above, and hard to classify.  The narrator's a paranoid, misanthropic kook who also happens to be hilarious and occasionally brilliant in mocking everything around him.  
8/6/2015 9:33 AM
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.  This is a full-course dinner of a novel, completely deserving of its reputation as one of the best ever.  800+ pages of reading for pleasure would only be possible with a hugely talented writer, and that's what Tolstoy is.  There's poetry on nearly every page.  Highly recommended.
8/23/2015 1:18 PM
Might be the best novel ever. Certainly in the top five.
8/24/2015 11:40 AM
Classics time: Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.
8/24/2015 1:57 PM
The Big Clock (1946) by Kenneth Fearing.  Sort of a cross between Kafka and James M. Cain -- that is, a hard-boiled crime story with punchy dialogue set inside a giant anxiety dream of a corporate madhouse.  Good read from an author I'd never heard of before coming across this book.  

Fearing seems to be known best for a snappy comeback he made to the House Un-American Activities Committee in 1950.  Asked if he were a member of the Communist Party, Fearing replied, "Not yet."

Ha!
9/10/2015 11:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...25|26|27|28|29...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.