What are you reading? Topic

FINALLY GOT AROUND TO READ "THE GAME OF THRONES" SINCE I DON'T GET HBO--- SO FAR SO GOOD. HAVE A CLASH OF KINGS LINED UP NEXT

ALSO READING "A LAND SO STRANGE"- THE EPIC JOURNEY OF CABEZA DE VACA--- EXTRAORDINARY TALE OF A SHIPWRECKED SPANIARD WHO WALKED ACROSS AMERICA IN THE 16TH CENTURY.
9/11/2015 6:10 AM
I would have just waited.  I feel like I'm going to forget 80% of what was going on by the time he gets around to publishing the next book.  Of course, at this rate, he might just die first...  Health has been an issue.
9/11/2015 12:55 PM
THAT HAPPENED WITH THE LAST GREAT SERIES I READ-- FLASHMAN SERIES BY GEORGE MCDONALD FRASER. HE WROTE ABOUT 12-13, HINTED ABOUT SOME GOOD  STUFF TO COME IN FLASHY'S LIFE AND HE UP AND DIED!
9/11/2015 1:18 PM

The Dog of the South, by Charles Portis

9/11/2015 8:23 PM
Bronxcheer, most readers find "Clash of Kings" THE highpoint of the (so far) five book series, but many are not in love with the next two  - "Feast of Crows" and "Dance of Dragons" - but while I agree that Clash of Kings is great, I actually liked the following two MORE than the first three books. So hang in there, many surprises to come including a LOT that is not in the TV series
9/12/2015 10:45 AM
Which magazines/journals do people here read?  My top 5:

1. New York Review of Books: My only current subscription.  Great discussions of books, ideas, culture, history, politics, etc.  

2. Harper's: A little loopy at times, but generally excellent and with a decent dose of humor in most issues.

3. Lapham's Quarterly: A more recent periodical, begun in 2007 by the former Harper's editor.  Each issue is built around a theme (e.g. death, philanthropy, animals) and consists mostly of excerpts of historical writing (fiction and non-fiction), plus photographs and paintings, with a few new essays included.  Surprisingly good.

4. New Yorker: In recent years it's slipped a lot, in my opinion, but every few issues you'll find some great reportage, and the cartoons are still good.  The website is also nice.

5. The Atlantic: Like the New Yorker, it's seen better days. Very dumbed-down from what it once was.

HM: Paris Review and Granta, which have a more literary bent than the above.
9/21/2015 11:54 AM
CRACKED

MAD

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
9/21/2015 12:32 PM
None as a subscriber.

My "regular" reading list includes:
-- The Economist (disagree with their OpEds on almost everything, but they are a cogent, important, reliable conservative news source...unlike, say, anything in the Murdoch empire)
-- The Atlantic (David Bradley is someone I admire personally and have met on several occasions)
-- Health Affairs (professional interest)
-- Vanity Fair (though far less often since Hitchens passed away)
-- Jacobin (when the leftist side of my brain needs feeding)
9/21/2015 5:14 PM
David Bradley figured prominently in this New Yorker piece from July:

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/06/five-hostages

Yes, he certainly seems admirable, and then some.  

I just went to Jacobin's website (had never heard of it before) and it looks interesting.  Thanks for the tip.

9/22/2015 2:58 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
contrarian23, I agree on the Economist, and I like Jacobin, which has brought some sanity to left strategy publications. 

I read Counterpunch  (www.counterpunch.org)  every day and have published there a lot over the years. Used to read the Nation regularly, have gotten lazy about it, but it is still good. NY Times is emailed to me for free every day (get it, it's a great deal). 

I look at the Huffington Post - both the US and Italy versions. 
9/23/2015 5:23 PM
I just finished reading the 26 original Tarzan novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  They were a lot of fun and highly recommended for anyone who enjoys good adventure novels.
   I also read(as I saw some others did) The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas.  I thought it was one of the Best Books I ever read !

9/26/2015 1:54 AM (edited)
I couldn't put the Count of Monte Cristo down either, when I read it a couple of years ago. Based on your analysis of that, you have convinced me to give Burroughs' Tarzan books a try, which I would never have thought of, as soon as I find some non-work related reading time again. Thanks.  (you read all 26? cool).
9/30/2015 4:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...26|27|28|29|30...90 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.