Playing the sim blindly... Topic

I've asked repeatedly for the ability to see players' tov%, as well as being able to search for it and sort by it in the draft center, only to be flat out ignored by uknowho.

I just realized that I never submitted a ticket about it. Not that it will necessarily do any good, maybe I'll get a response about it, something I've never gotten here.

anyway, here's the ticket I submitted:

"Hello. I would like to inquire about the lack of an important stat being displayed for players as well as the fact that we can't search for it or sort by it in the draft center.

That stat is tov%, or turnover %. From the knowledge base:

2. # Now that we have picked a player, we must determine what he will do with the ball. There are three things he can do: turn the ball over (3), shoot (5) or be fouled (4). Every player has a real-life turnover percentage, field goal attempt percentage and times fouled percentage that is relative to his total number of actual possessions. At this point, many factors can adjust those percentages and affect whether we go to step 3, 4 or 5. Generally, we will view the chance that he shoots as the amount remaining after modifications to fouled percentage and turnover percentage. These factors include: the man defending the player, the rest of the defense, the type of offense, the type of defense, a player’s fatigue value, any team under-possession penalty and the player’s over-possession penalty.

So, from this section of the knowledge base, it is turnover % that determines a player's likelihood of turning the ball over - not turnovers per 48 minutes, total turnovers or assist to turnover ratio (the only things we can see as well as search/sort by). In addition to this, it tells us there's a thing called fouled percentage which tells us how likely a player is to get to the line.

With the normalization that you have attempted to put in place, owners cannot rely on either totals or per-minute stats to determine how good a guy is at getting to the line or how prone he is to turn the ball over. We have to break out a calculator or surf the web to try and find the information that we need - assuming the info is out there (players before turnovers were kept as an official stat, for instance).

It would be like using the current system for rebounding without giving us the oreb% and dreb% percentages. We would simply be guessing on the old players (prior to offensive rebounding being kept as a stat in the NBA) and for the most part have to put way more effort into building teams - so much so, that, I would bet many owners would give up.

Since this sim is driven by the advanced statistics, we need to be able to see, search for and sort by all of these advanced statistics.

It is with all of this in mind that I beg of you to please, give us the ability to see a player's tov%, as well as their fouled%, and to be able to search for the stat in the data base as well as sort our results by it. I believe this would help every owner better understand the sim and quit needlessly blasting WIS about it."

Thoughts?
3/18/2010 6:04 PM
For an opening ticket, too long
3/18/2010 9:07 PM
Worth a shot and would be nice to have.
3/18/2010 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by colonels19 on 3/18/2010For an opening ticket, too long

Because quick shots always worked so well in the past for certain other users. I give detailed stuff with quotes from their own knowledge base to back my point up - there won't be a smartass one liner come my way, and if there is, it will be baseless.

I guess I should have been more specific in my original post: Thoughts (on this issue, not the length of the ticket or likelihood of response)?
3/19/2010 4:22 AM
Dear ashamael,
We appreciate you taking the time to send such a detailed concern. However, we don't give a rat's @sp about the basketball SIM and will not be making any changes ever again. We are letting the game die a slow, painful death. Please feel free to play our other games though. We appreciate your patronage.
Admin.

3/19/2010 8:17 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashamael on 3/19/2010

Quote: Originally posted by colonels19 on 3/18/2010
For an opening ticket, too long

Because quick shots always worked so well in the past for certain other users. I give detailed stuff with quotes from their own knowledge base to back my point up - there won't be a smartass one liner come my way, and if there is, it will be baseless.

I guess I should have been more specific in my original post: Thoughts (on this issue, not the length of the ticket or likelihood of response)?
I think its a great topic, but it kind of gets lost in the length of the ticket. I could have gotten your message across in about 1/10th of what you said. Short and concise always wins over long and redundant...less chance of your message getting lost/mistranslated. Excess words are unnecessary.
3/19/2010 11:20 AM
Hi,

It seems that Turnover% is an integral part of the NBA sim, yet we currently can't search for it and view its full effect. Is there any way you could add TOV% to the search criterion/process? Thank you and take care.
3/19/2010 11:22 AM
Quote: These are well thought through comments. We want to let you know that they will definitely be presented to Admin for their consideration and review. Many thanks.

Quote: Suggestions are compiled and evaluated once a month. They are then prioritized and added to our future feature set lists we use for future updates.

Feedback and suggestions are what help us continue to improve our site and our games. Thank you for taking the time to help us improve.

3/19/2010 4:51 PM
I'm not holding my breath, but it was nice to actually hear back from someone unlike Seble on these forums who never once responded to me about this topic.
3/19/2010 4:52 PM
I'm no computer programmer, but what you're asking for seems to be a very quick fix and its rather sad that they can't squeeze it in with any immediacy.
3/19/2010 5:41 PM
if it's numbers they are already using in the engine (they are), then it shouldn't be a big issue. An interface adjustment would be necessary, but I'm not sure how big of deal that is.
3/19/2010 5:48 PM
six years ago...
3/26/2016 7:58 PM
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...
3/28/2016 9:50 AM
Posted by all3 on 3/19/2010 8:17:00 AM (view original):
Dear ashamael,
We appreciate you taking the time to send such a detailed concern. However, we don't give a rat's @sp about the basketball SIM and will not be making any changes ever again. We are letting the game die a slow, painful death. Please feel free to play our other games though. We appreciate your patronage.
Admin.

This is the point.
3/28/2016 10:31 AM
Posted by all3 on 3/28/2016 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 3/19/2010 8:17:00 AM (view original):
Dear ashamael,
Admin.

This is the point.
It's sad how true your statement was & still is.
3/28/2016 5:12 PM
Playing the sim blindly... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.