Mauer deal done Topic

Game Of The Week
Week:3/29/2010 - 4/5/2010
User:Smithyyy34
Boxscore:view
Details:This Week's Game of the Week...

Features two teams that for 8 innings had a very difficult time scoring runs. The Bloody Thieves took on Steal My Pride in an evenly-matched pitchers duel. Bloody Thieves started Greg Maddux while Steal My Pride went with Tim Lincecum.

Maddux (Bloody Thieves) went 7 innings and gave up just 4 hits and 0 runs. Art Nehf pitched a scoreless 8th before things got interesting...

For Steal My Pride, Lincecum only lasted 6 2/3 IP as he pitch count exceeded 100 in the 7th. He gave up t hits, struck out 8 before being pulled for Scott Garrelts. Lincecum also gave up 0 runs.

This game was decided in the 9th, where Jose Offerman (who went 3-4) and Alex Rodriguez each drove in runs and Scott Garrelts threw a wild pitch to give Thieves a 3-0 advantage.

In the bottom of the 9th, Rob Nenn came on for the Bloody Thieves. Nenn never recorded an out...

A lead-off single by Richie Hebner followed by back-to-back walks to Tyler Houston and Scott Podsednik brought Joe Mauer to the plate. Mauer would clear the bases off Nenn with a walk-off game winning grand slam. A scoreless game entering the 9th ends with the Bloody Thieves not recording an out as Steal My Pride wins 4-3.
4/1/2010 7:00 AM
Looks good so far.
4/6/2010 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By 05nomar05 on 4/06/2010Looks good so far
It'll be interesting. If it wasn't a good bet for both sides ..it wouldn't be a good bet.

skonley.. sometime b/f June I'll post a link to submit GC's via/admin
4/7/2010 6:11 AM
So how has this deal worked out for the Twins?  280 - 333 since contract was signed
Mauer still the best hitter in the AL? Miggy begs to differ
Mauer still a power hitter? Would you put a "power hitter" in the 2-hole, I think not

I said it then and I'll say it again  - this was a bad deal. Haters gonna hate

8/24/2013 10:02 AM
Hard to find a catcher to do that well offensively.  Aside from 2011, he's been great.  Jury is still out though, we'll see how this holds up moving forward.
8/24/2013 12:03 PM
$23M great? Nope. And its not that hard to find a C that can hit - Posey, Molina, McCann, A.J. and all for the fraction of the price.
8/24/2013 12:16 PM
Mauer is much better than AJ.  Posey signed a similar contract to Mauer.  Molina's fantastic, obviously, McCann is very good.  He may not be worth 23M, but I'd argue he's not far off.  There's only a handful of great hitting catchers, the majority aren't very good.
8/24/2013 12:20 PM
SF has twice the payroll as the Twins, and Posey is $5m a year cheaper. Molina is $8m cheaper, is comparable offensively, and vastly better defensively. Like I said, bad contract.
8/24/2013 12:29 PM
Why do people only ever consider stats when reviewing contracts? It's the same with Markakis in Baltimore. Those contracts account for more than just on-field performance. They include value in the clubhouse, value to the team and value to the city in which they play. Minnesota loves Mauer just as Baltimore loves Markakis. It's a business decision to be loyal to a guy that the city and fanbase love.
8/24/2013 12:31 PM
If the fanbase was smarter, they would realize that 1 guy is eating up nearly 1/3 of the payroll. A guy who is seemingly hurt every year. A guy who actually catches in about half the games. You can say whatever you want about the hometown hero crap, this guy is the #1 reason the Twins blow.
8/24/2013 12:57 PM
I bet he sells way more jerseys and merch than any other Twin. Hence the "business" decision.
8/24/2013 1:03 PM
As a Tiger fan I was NEVER more ecstatic than to see the INCREDIBLY ****** DEAL (for the franchise) that they (The Twinks) gave to Mauer. Talk about an albatross...
8/24/2013 1:18 PM
Twin fans are probably thinking something similar about Fielder.  Except Tigers have more disposable income.
8/24/2013 3:00 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 8/24/2013 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I bet he sells way more jerseys and merch than any other Twin. Hence the "business" decision.
That argument doesn't hold water - Mauer jersey sales have been on a steady decline - #2 in 2010, #12 in 2011, not in the top 20 the last 2 years. and who knows what they would have gotten in return for trading Mauer when they should have - maybe Ramos stays in minny and develops better than he has in dc. Last point about the "business decision" and then I'm getting off my soapbox - not many people repurchase jersey's of players that they already own. They'd be more inclined to purchase a jersey of a new star player. And the Twins attendance has stayed pretty much the same whether Mauer plays or not - so he's not a huge factor in ticket sales.

FWIW - Moilna & Posey jersey sales are better than Mauer's the last 2 years.

8/24/2013 4:17 PM
I'm pretty sure I said way more than any other Twin. Is there anyone on that team who's jersey you'd feel comfortable buying right now if Mauer wasn't there (if you were a Twins fan)?

That was a lot of the argument with the Pujols contract. He may only be elite for 3-4 years of the 10 year contract (and now it seems less), but he was going to make the team that money back in merch and ticket sales.
8/24/2013 4:22 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19 Next ▸
Mauer deal done Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.