Hockey Dynasty Status Update Topic

If only fox could decide to get hockey again and bring back the glowing puck!  Then puck dynasty could have a chance!  Thats it boys, we need to all call FOX Sports and demand they bring back the beloved glowing puck!  OMG, I feel so dirty all of a sudden!
3/10/2011 11:44 AM
heh
3/10/2011 3:54 PM
The worst part is I remember when even Sim League Hockey was huge. I remember when we had a 4 league 4 tier tournament back when I first started and all of the leagues filled. Those days seem like a memory now....... Maybe we shouldn't have told the new owners about the cheat codes they don't have.
4/19/2011 2:16 PM
yep, those were the days hockey.  the open leagues used to fill in less than a day.  sometimes two would fill in one day.  now it takes a week.  the theme leagues (at least the good ones) used to fill in under a week.  some would fill in a day or two.  now you're lucky to fill in less than a month.  :{
6/20/2011 6:23 PM
In my defense, I had kids and couldn't make it on here very much...I still have kids...but am wading back in slowly to see if I'll have time to put a team or two in again...so long as I don't jeopardize diaper purchases I should be okay :-)
7/16/2011 12:47 AM
PLEASE, let's get a Hockey Dynasty game!
Dynasty Football has become unplayable now after the big  "update"  I am about 3,000 Reward Points away from saying goodbye to WIS forever. The only way they ever get another penny from me is to create a Hockey Dynasty game. I have been here since 2001, and I am gone when my RPs run out if there is no Hockey Dynasty.
8/26/2011 8:15 PM
So they indicated new dynasty game(s) any chance 1 of them is in fact puck dynasty?  lets all hope so!!!  :)
9/11/2011 8:11 PM
Looking forward to getting in on this.  Let's just make sure that we do it right - as in make sure that it's a good product before it is released.  I don't want to be disappointed like I was with FC dynasty.   Just thought I'd keep the discussion rolling with my thoughts:
          - The fist world NEEDS to be named GRETZKY!!
          - HBD is the gold standard.  It would be great to see all of the elements that HBD has, as close as can be replicated for NHL hockey.
          - I think aginor's idea about having the draft take place at the same time as training camp is decent, but that could be problematic for noobs.  I'm leaning towards having the draft take place during the playoffs.
          - 3 draft scouting departments to budget for: Major junior (CHL), US college, and Europe/international. 
          - There's probably no need for an equivalent to the international free agent scouting department of HBD, since in the NHL the equivalent to these players more often than not tend to be undrafted training camp invitees.  I don't see a real need to have these players have any higher ceilings than HBD's tryout camp pitchers.  I can live without the Tyler Bozaks and Jonas Gustavssons (guess who's a Leafs fan?)
          - I know that trading draft picks is allowed in real life, but I just can't see how it would be a good thing here.  Way too many pitfalls.
          - Just like it was necessary to simplify the arbitration rules a bit for HBD, I wouldn't mind if something similar happens here.
          - Two levels of minor leagues, AHL and ECHL, but there could also be the option to send your draftee back to junior/college/Europe after training camp and a 9 game big league tryout for a season or two.
          -  Signing an RFA (restricted free agent) a la Dustin Penner should not result in losing first round draft picks from future seasons, since I'm sure that, just like in HBD, a first round draft pick is going to be much more of a "sure thing" than they are in real life.  I suggest that clubs can lose up to their first three/four draft picks from the current season as compensation for signing a good RFA.
          - Let's have a salary cap and floor, just like real life NHL.
          - Don't change a thing about the NHL playoffs - no 5 game playoff series PLEASE!
          - It pains me to say this, but I guess for the same reasons as HBD, we'd have to have a balanced schedule.  I would prefer if the schedule could be just slightly unbalanced, though.  For example with a 32 team world, comprised of two conferences of 4 divisions of 4 teams, a team could play all of the other teams in their own conference (15 other teams) 5 times, equaling 75 games.  Then, on a rotating basis, they could play one game each against the teams in two divisions in the opposing conference, for a total of 83 games.  An awkward number to be sure, but I can't see any other way.  That would require at least 4 schedules to be created - ie teams in Eastern conference, Northern division would play home games vs Western conference North, and road vs Pacific one year, followed by home vs South, and road vs Central, followed by road vs North and home vs Pacific and finally road vs South and home vs Central.  Also, there would have to be alternation from season to season of the home/road balance of the 5 games played against the conference mates (2 road and 3 home one season, followed by 3 road and 2 home the next).  Perhaps with a 30 team world (two conferences, 3 divisions of 5), there could be 5 games against teams in your conference (70 games), and one game each against the 15 other teams in opposing conference, switching who gets to be home and road every other year, for a total of 85 games.  This latter one would be problematic, because of a greater imbalance between road and home games.
          - I don't want to see less than 30 teams per world.
          - Two cycles per day, broken down into half cycles as well (am1, am2, pm1, pm2).  I wouldn't mind seeing the cycles broken into thirds either (am1, am2 am3, pm1, pm2, pm3).  That would make a season about the same length as an HBD season, assuming a schedule has 80 or so games in it.
          - Training camp wouldn't need to be as long as HBD's spring training, which would allow for a longer playoffs.
          - Manager settings to allow for allotting ice time.  Depending on the makeup of your team/lineup, you might want to play your first line a great deal more than your third, or you could roll three scoring lines more or less equally.  Same thing for defensive pairings - you might have two studs that can play half of the game, or you might want to spread the ice time out.
          - There could be "roles" assigned to lines.  You might use your third line as the "checking" line, or it could be a third scoring line, with the checking role going to the fourth line.
          - I can see how home ice advantage can come into play, with the home side having last choice for which line to put out there, such as looking to take advantage by having your first line come out against the opposition's weakest defensive unit, and having your best checkers out against the other team's top line, etc...
          - Pull ratings for goalies (as in how much patience does the coach have with "bad goals"- Mike Keenan or Pat Quinn?), as well as what situations to pull the goalie for the extra attacker and for how long.
          - Systems, such as the trap, left wing lock, aggressive forecheck, dump n' chase, could be assigned to teams or lines, depending on the score/game time left.
          -  We need to have the game's results being influenced by the long change (second period and first OT etc), punishing teams that have players with lower stamina more than the teams with players who have good stamina.

I don't know how much of the game play stuff is already in SLH, since I don't care a lick for simleague anything, so hopefully most of my points are relevant.  Thank you and good day, eh?
9/13/2011 4:27 PM (edited)
Edit:  It occurs to me that the playoffs might take too long with only two games a day, so a switch to three cycles a day (just like HBD) during the playoffs might be in order.
9/13/2011 5:49 PM
I like much of what Shobob said.  Id like to add one thing right now.  With HBD you have park ratings.  Obviously no such thing exists with hockey, so I was thinking to make for some variance with each arena there could be slight changes with each arena in regards to several inputs.  Say arena size will determine (only on a very small amount) how much of a budget you get.  But for arenas that are on the smaller side you get another benefit, like say a more significant home arena advantage.  As in a more intimate setting for the fans, and they tend to be louder, and more passionate with an end result of a higher advantage for the home side.
9/13/2011 6:19 PM
As someone who enjoys SLH progressive leagues and HBD I'll weigh in on what shobob said he wanted for Frozen Dynasty. I agree with most of it.

- The fist world NEEDS to be named GRETZKY!!
agreed
          - HBD is the gold standard.  It would be great to see all of the elements that HBD has, as close as can be replicated for NHL hockey.
As much as I love hockey I understand that its probabally the least popular sim on this site.  That being said, having the HBD as a base engine to go off of might be possible (I hope) to save time and money.

- I think aginor's idea about having the draft take place at the same time as training camp is decent, but that could be problematic for noobs.  I'm leaning towards having the draft take place during the playoffs.
Probably a good idea.
          - 3 draft scouting departments to budget for: Major junior (CHL), US college, and Europe/international.  
Also a good idea.

- There's probably no need for an equivalent to the international free agent scouting department of HBD, since in the NHL the equivalent to these players more often than not tend to be undrafted training camp invitees.  I don't see a real need to have these players have any higher ceilings than HBD's tryout camp pitchers.  I can live without the Tyler Bozaks and Jonas Gustavssons (guess who's a Leafs fan?)
I don't see a problem with doing this. Yes it might not be realistic but its fun to have to spread your budget out more, creates for different teams. Martin St. Louis and Brian Rafalski wern't drafted.
          - I know that trading draft picks is allowed in real life, but I just can't see how it would be a good thing here.  Way too many pitfalls.
I say if you purchase seasons ahead of time and assign them to teams ahead of time you should be able to trade draft picks. Its too important of a bartering chip in hockey for both teams. If you want to shoot yourself in the foot its fine but no sense causing trouble for new owners. This should also help up sales. You wanna make this trade? Buy another season.
          - Just like it was necessary to simplify the arbitration rules a bit for HBD, I wouldn't mind if something similar happens here.
          - Two levels of minor leagues, AHL and ECHL, but there could also be the option to send your draftee back to junior/college/Europe after training camp and a 9 game big league tryout for a season or two.
Again, creating ficticious levels of minor leagues isn't a bad thing. Having 3-4 farm teams plus a rookie tournament (like the leafs, sens and blackhawks do) would make managing teams much more managable.
          -  Signing an RFA (restricted free agent) a la Dustin Penner should not result in losing first round draft picks from future seasons, since I'm sure that, just like in HBD, a first round draft pick is going to be much more of a "sure thing" than they are in real life.  I suggest that clubs can lose up to their first three/four draft picks from the current season as compensation for signing a good RFA.
          - Let's have a salary cap and floor, just like real life NHL.
All dynasty and sim leagues have this. Its a good way to even the field.
          - Don't change a thing about the NHL playoffs 
          - It pains me to say this, but I guess for the same reasons as HBD, we'd have to have a balanced schedule.  I would prefer if the schedule could be just slightly unbalanced, though.  For example with a 32 team world, comprised of two conferences of 4 divisions of 4 teams, a team could play all of the other teams in their own conference (15 other teams) 5 times, equaling 75 games.  Then, on a rotating basis, they could play one game each against the teams in two divisions in the opposing conference, for a total of 83 games.  An awkward number to be sure, but I can't see any other way.  That would require at least 4 schedules to be created - ie teams in Eastern conference, Northern division would play home games vs Western conference North, and road vs Pacific one year, followed by home vs South, and road vs Central, followed by road vs North and home vs Pacific and finally road vs South and home vs Central.  Also, there would have to be alternation from season to season of the home/road balance of the 5 games played against the conference mates (2 road and 3 home one season, followed by 3 road and 2 home the next).  Perhaps with a 30 team world (two conferences, 3 divisions of 5), there could be 5 games against teams in your conference (70 games), and one game each against the 15 other teams in opposing conference, switching who gets to be home and road every other year, for a total of 85 games.  This latter one would be problematic, because of a greater imbalance between road and home games.
          - I don't want to see less than 30 teams per world.
          - Two cycles per day, broken down into half cycles as well (am1, am2, pm1, pm2).  I wouldn't mind seeing the cycles broken into thirds either (am1, am2 am3, pm1, pm2, pm3).  That would make a season about the same length as an HBD season, assuming a schedule has 80 or so games in it.
          - Training camp wouldn't need to be as long as HBD's spring training, which would allow for a longer playoffs.
Same setup as SLH except with added days for pre-season and off season. Just like HBD.
          - Manager settings to allow for allotting ice time.  Depending on the makeup of your team/lineup, you might want to play your first line a great deal more than your third, or you could roll three scoring lines more or less equally.  Same thing for defensive pairings - you might have two studs that can play half of the game, or you might want to spread the ice time out.
          - There could be "roles" assigned to lines.  You might use your third line as the "checking" line, or it could be a third scoring line, with the checking role going to the fourth line.
          - I can see how home ice advantage can come into play, with the home side having last choice for which line to put out there, such as looking to take advantage by having your first line come out against the opposition's weakest defensive unit, and having your best checkers out against the other team's top line, etc...
          - Pull ratings for goalies (as in how much patience does the coach have with "bad goals"- Mike Keenan or Pat Quinn?), as well as what situations to pull the goalie for the extra attacker and for how long.
          - Systems, such as the trap, left wing lock, aggressive forecheck, dump n' chase, could be assigned to teams or lines, depending on the score/game time left.
          -  We need to have the game's results being influenced by the long change (second period and first OT etc), punishing teams that have players with lower stamina more than the teams with players who have good stamina.

9/13/2011 7:07 PM
As an avid HBD player and a Canadian, I can't wait to see something finally come out of this.
9/21/2011 11:36 AM

"- I think aginor's idea about having the draft take place at the same time as training camp is decent, but that could be problematic for noobs. I'm leaning towards having the draft take place during the playoffs.
Probably a good idea."

No it's not a good idea....

Having it at the end of the season could actually be worse!  What about the owner who's team DOESN'T make the post season AND doesn't intend to sign up for the next season?  He/she doesn't care about the draft!  So a bad team gets worse due to neglect by an outgoing owner! For those who have played HBD..you KNOW this will happen (not some 'what if" comment).  I've taken over neglected teams in HBD..no promotions, draft picks were not that good etc etc...  You have to give the incoming owner a chance to start the 'rebuild' process. The Draft is a very important part this.  Also it gives the new owner a chance for a get a glimmer of hope for the team's future near the start!  More chance they will hang on and continue the rebuild!!!  You put it at the end of the season..."Geez my team SUCKED, not sure I want to continue. Spend more $ on a crappy team.." .....  etc etc   They leave BEFORE the draft..the cycle repeats itself and will repeat itself over and over again.  Fact is teams will be neglected and you will have to find owners willing to take them over AND hopefully have them stick around.  Having them spend $ with limited chance to improve the health of a team right off the bat..ain't going to work.

I agree putting right at the start..would be harder for New Owners..So put in at the 10-15 game mark of the season (HBD draft is 1/3 in the season, just like MLB).  Admittedly this is not like what the NHL does but maybe you bend realism here a little for the sake of making the game better.

9/23/2011 12:04 PM (edited)
I guess if your going to "bend reality", that would be the way to do it.
9/24/2011 9:04 AM
Yea it ain't perfect either way BUT at least newbies get a chance to get a feel for what the ratings mean etc and it gives an owner taking over a neglected team a start at the rebuilding process early in the season.

The other major thing is the trading of draft picks..  I agree TOTALLY with you that there a LOT of pitfalls in allowing them.  The problem here, people will demand it cause it is a realistic thing cause it's done in the NHL all the time. In MLB trading of picks isn't allowed, actually a team can't trade a draft pick during his first season with the organization - no matter what level he is playing at.  So owners in HBD can't argue that it's realistic cause it ain't.

Finding a way to allow them and avoid the many pitfalls is going to be a very tricky thing to do..I'm not sure I can figure that one out
9/24/2011 10:04 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...16 Next ▸
Hockey Dynasty Status Update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.