WHA Teams & Players Topic

So it's almost "new player week" in SimLeague Hockey Land. That glorious time of the year when we import the new players and teams and try to tackle any player database mistakes that we've learned of over the past year.

One subject we receive feedback on from time to time is the addition of the WHA teams and players. In previous years, our exclusive agreement with the NHLPA has prevented this, but since we no longer have the exclusivity now and simply license the use of players and teams, there is nothing stopping us from exploring this road -- and next week would be the time to do it.

What do you guys think? I don't see any harm in it as long as the players are easily differentiated when drafting. After all, the WHA was an influential part of hockey history in North America. Does anyone know where we can find downloadable WHA data (preferably in spreadsheet form)?
4/8/2010 4:39 PM
I like, although the numbers you see have to somewhat be taken with a grain of salt compared to NHL data (ie. Gary Veneruzzo = 43 goal scorer)

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/270.html is a good start for data.
4/8/2010 4:43 PM

"Hi everybody. I'm your next open league star!"
4/8/2010 4:49 PM
Can we get all of the NHL arenas added in as well?
4/8/2010 5:41 PM
Don't you mean WHA arenas?

I like this idea. Would make using the 70s for Progressive/Reg leagues easier

Could make it an option for Theme Leagues whether to use them or not. This way people who really don't want them... But for open leagues go for it
4/8/2010 6:28 PM
Holy schnikes! This would be an awesome addition to the player database!
4/8/2010 6:35 PM
That would be okay, but have a seperate section so that they don't get mixed in with the NHL years I think.
4/8/2010 6:47 PM
This would be great. We'd have 26 teams from 1972-73.

And more King Richard and John Garrett
4/8/2010 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aginor on 4/08/2010Don't you mean WHA arenas?I like this idea. Would make using the 70s for Progressive/Reg leagues easierCould make it an option for Theme Leagues whether to use them or not. This people who really don't want them... But for open leagues go for it

No, we actually have most of the WHA arenas already, but are missing a ton of NHL arenas, especially some of the newer ones.
4/8/2010 7:44 PM
Oh...true

As I stated IF they do add them I'd like to see the option for theme leagues to remove them. This way if not wanted they can be excluded. Though I guess one could black list them...
4/8/2010 9:59 PM
My only fear is that we will discover a new "Joe Malone", or someone along the lines of a "glitch player". His numbers were great in the WHA, but translated into the NHL against NHL competition, he would be average at best.
4/9/2010 7:01 AM
Well, yea that could very well happen but is that really any different to the way it is now?

You're taking players from different eras and mixing them together. The game and it's rules were different back in Malone's time (very different). Then you have the years with just the 6 teams... then expansion in the late 60s & 70s...... the late 90s & 00s (the seasons of the 'trap')...... You're taking all this and putting it together. Would adding the WHA be so different?

I thought that was the whole idea of WIS and the sim leagues...WHAT IF.

4/9/2010 8:18 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/9/2010 8:55 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/9/2010 8:57 AM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
WHA Teams & Players Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.