ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

No.   Now that he's not going away, which is what I want, I need that SOB to hit the ball.   I don't really care about PED.   He just annoys the hell out of me.
8/5/2013 9:05 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

Some Cy Young discussion in one of my worlds led me to look back at RL Cy Young Award winners and their respective WHIPs (A candidate in the world was being propped-up that happened to have a decent ERA, but a 1.31 WHIP).
I haven't found a comprehensive list that has the Cy Young's and their WHIP on the same list, so I haven't checked every winner, but spot-checking all of the high-ish ERA winners, I found  that the winners pretty well all had at least respectable WHIP's (a couple 1.25, a decent number of sub 1.10, and sub 1.00, a lot in the 1.1ish range), but then I looked at the 1982 AL Winner: Peter Vuckovich.
Dude had a 1.502 WHIP!
By any metric, other than Wins, he should have been last amongst AL-Vote-Getters, but he had (14) out of (30) first place votes (most by 10 votes).  Even in Wins, he was tied with the 2nd worst candidate (at 18) and only one ahead of, arguably, the best or 2nd best candidate.
So, my question is: 
How many Handy's did good ol' Pete pass out in 1982?

8/7/2013 11:23 AM
I'd say 14.   I remember that being a weird year.  A handful of the best pitchers were RP and Jim Palmer had ****** off writers for some reason.  So Vuckovich won by default.
8/7/2013 11:35 AM
He IS a freak of nature.
8/7/2013 1:34 PM
From what I've read prospects improve and come closer to reaching their full potential when they have better coaching.  If that's is true would it make sense to keep the best prospects at AAA where the best minor league coaching is regardless if the players are "ready" for that level of play?  Would a situation where I kept my older ML replacement-level players who are done improving at AA or Hi-A and let the better prospects develop at AAA have any negative consequences? 
8/7/2013 3:45 PM

In theory, players stagnant if kept at a level too long. I can't say for sure if that's true but that's what we're told.   I always have legit prospects in AAA by their 4th year and often by their third.    They may be in AAA for 3 seasons.   I've not seen any ill effects from that but I've not kept anyone of any value there for 3+ seasons.

8/7/2013 5:44 PM

Sure.  Send him thru waivers.   If he gets claimed, good for you.  If he doesn't, put him in AAA as injury insurance.   If you're going to pay him, there is no point in giving him to someone else for 327k. 

8/12/2013 10:17 AM
Designate him(with waivers).   It's a game flaw but when a player clears waivers and refuses a minor league assignment, you can designate him and he'll go. 
8/12/2013 4:47 PM
Brand new to the game.  Are there things you would have the AI handle completely, at least in the short term?  Talking about the management console.  Any other very basic tips for a newbie (or a place to find them) would be welcome.  Thanks.
8/14/2013 10:39 AM
In the beginning, you need to be hands on for the full pre-season.   If I had to pick one, I'd let SIMMY do arbs.   You need to do the rest. 

As for a few basic tips, learn what the ratings mean and how they work together.   EVERYBODY knows who the studs are.   Do some back research and see how that 70/53/58/72/80 hitter plays in your world.   I recommend avoiding trading until you fully understand this. 
Know that your advanced scouting is NOT perfect.
Check the waiver wire daily for useful players.
DON'T undervalue defense.
Leave enough room in your payroll for some manuverability.   You'll find that the guy you thought would be good won't be and you'll want to replace him.
DON'T release players making more than 55k.   You'll still have to pay them if they don't get picked up.
Finally, have fun but be patient. 

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here or via sitemail. 
8/14/2013 10:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...751|752|753|754|755...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.