When to rest stars... Topic

Let's say you have an average-to-good team.  Which of the following fatigue-management strategies do you think would be wisest:

A) Rest your stars against the top-tier teams, figuring the chances are still 50% or better you may lose, and rest your stud lineup for the lower-tier teams that you need to (and feel confident you can) beat

OR

B) Rest your stars against the bad teams, figuring your backups can beat them anyway, and save your stars for the top teams, even though the top teams could still beat you with your stud guys in?
9/20/2010 2:11 PM
You can mess around with the pythagorean wins formula for a while and figure out the Correct answer for yourself. Otherwise you're just going to get a lot of useless opinions based on feelings.

RS^1.82/((RS^1.82)+(RA^1.82))
9/20/2010 2:39 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I'll help......you can rest them anytime you play me?!?!?
9/20/2010 5:06 PM
 I have out thought myself many times in these situations, so now I rest guys when they need it no matter who their playing unless I absolutely have to win. BTW I'm a bit obsessive about my guys being at 100% as much as possible, for whatever it's worth.
9/20/2010 8:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You can always mix and match. Rest some players when the situation is right (righty, lefty matchup or because of the park), no matter what team you are playing. Do this along with RBOW's advice.  I'd rather have rested pitching than hitting but I'm not sure if that is true, I'm a beginner.
9/21/2010 3:38 PM
Posted by napolean on 9/20/2010 8:49:00 PM (view original):
 I have out thought myself many times in these situations, so now I rest guys when they need it no matter who their playing unless I absolutely have to win. BTW I'm a bit obsessive about my guys being at 100% as much as possible, for whatever it's worth.
I always thought that too.....

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=3&TopicID=423086&ThreadID=9082170#l_9082170
9/21/2010 6:57 PM (edited)
in the past it was reasonable to play slightly fatigued players, they hit ok. now they make too many errors and probably should be avoided. If you're looking for a DH or a pinch-hitter don't be afraid of the 97% guy.

resting players as soon as they drop below 100% is the easiest solution. the other suggestions require planning ahead and are more work.
9/21/2010 10:41 PM (edited)
Bat your Pitcher 8th.  That is what LaSleep at the Wheel would do.
9/21/2010 10:38 PM
According to Joe Girardi, you should rest at least one star per game.
9/21/2010 10:54 PM
Play it napolean's way or meet your Waterloo.
9/22/2010 12:17 AM
Stolen thought from one of the guys with 60 championships, the games against your tough in league opponents are nearly twice as important.  A win over a league rival gives you a win and them a loss.  If you win against lesser opponents you win and they may win creating a wash.  Ergo - try your hardest against tough cometition.  You should win the easy ones against lesser foes most of the time anyway.
10/18/2010 5:46 PM
Great question. I generally rest as needed with only a few exceptions:

1) I will focus in benching stars more in interleague play.

2) The extremes: If a team is 15-88, you can probably risk benching a few guys. Likewise if you're going up against the runaway 66-33 team, maybe concede some defeat there.

3) Never, ever against divisional foes. Unless a guy is deep in the blue, you have to play the stars against your closest rivals.
10/19/2010 3:53 PM
I'd suggest resting stud hitters when u see you're facing bad SP's.  The AAA scrubs and even 200k guys can do some damage vs. those guys.
10/19/2010 4:48 PM
12 Next ▸
When to rest stars... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.