THE STREAKS ARE JUST CRAZY NOW THE WINS & LOSES Topic

I would take those numbers any day of the week
10/28/2010 9:15 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Not to argue for the sake of arguing, but it would seem like you are making a different point altogether. You're issue isn't with the statistical models or the algorithims in use, but in that WIS can't quantify something that can't be quantified. Many statisticians have tried to tackle the question of intangibles and if and how they can be measured. Until that can one day be done I don't see how you can complain that WIS isn't realistic because they don't rig their data to try to emulate something that can't be measured. If you think that people question their players performances now, just imagine how that'd turn out when clutch hitting Jeter gets a hit off Ron Darling in tight situation or vice versa.

Otherwise, I don't really get your gripe. You seem to almost have a personal issue (based mostly on your response in the Ticket Response thread) with the WIS team and their models.

As for the reasonable expectations and the "untethered" price for "Tim Jordan," Your're missing that 500 ABs is a rather small sample size (one that even in RL doesn't stabilize over the course of a full season -- See this link for understanding small sample sizes in baseball) and that even those outlier seasons were rare in those small sample sizes and not far from the expected stats of such a matchup.
11/2/2010 5:56 AM
◂ Prev 1234
THE STREAKS ARE JUST CRAZY NOW THE WINS & LOSES Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.