Progressive 1st pick in 1955? Which HOF'er Topic

I would like to know to
10/27/2010 1:40 PM
Posted by chisox378 on 10/27/2010 1:30:00 PM (view original):
what is a progressive league and how does the draft work?
There are both short and very, very long answers to this question.

The short answer is that it's a "keeper" league.

The league starts with a particular year. Say 1990. (There can also be double-year progressives, such as 1950 and 1990, or non year-specific leagues, but that's another story)

All of the owners get an initial team of 25 players, either by drafting all 25 of them in a 25-round draft, taking over an existing franchise or some combination of the two. [In a league starting from scratch, say pick 1 is Maddux, pick 2 is Unit, pick 3 is Bonds, etc. Or I could have the 1990 Pirates, you could have the 1990 Cubs, etc and we could keep some # of players and the rest would be thrown into a draft]

Then after everyone has their 25-man roster somehow, you play out the 1990 season. At the end of the season, everyone keeps a certain # of players (or all of their players, or whatever). Then all of the players who are rookies in 1991 are thrown into a draft and there is another draft. The order is either worst-to-first, based on wins/salary, based on a lottery or whatever. (The '91 debuts appear to include Bagwell and Mo Vaughn)

Then everyone has a 25-man roster for 1991, you play out that season, then draft 1992 debuts. And so on and so forth.

10/27/2010 4:25 PM
I've gotten to where I play mostly progressives and I find I hardly care about my other teams. It's fun to build a team over several seasons.
10/27/2010 4:33 PM
I agree with mattedesa - I've only played in  2 leagues that weren't progressives...I just don't find it fun to have a "one and done" team.  In a progressive you get to build a franchise, makes trades, be the GM/OWNER/MANAGER all at once.  Even if it is a BAD year for my team, there is still the thrill of getting that #1 pick in the draft and drafting "Sandy Koufax" for your team, or shopping that #1 overall pick in a very deep draft pool as this year in question is, and see if you can't make like a bandit like trentonjoe apparently did in the league he was in.

10/28/2010 2:25 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/27/2010 9:08:00 AM (view original):
Trade down, someone always wants to move up.   Grab an extra pick or player and let someone else make a decision.   If you can, trade down twice.   Whatever the draft Fred Lynn and Keith Hernandez are in I did that and dropped from like 1 to 4 to  8 and picked up something like an extra  1st and 2nd the next year.
sounds like trentonjoe is the bill belichek of progressives
10/28/2010 1:33 PM
ok thanks jfranco for the good explanation. I get it, it sounds like fun.
10/28/2010 4:50 PM
Posted by nmchnv on 10/28/2010 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/27/2010 9:08:00 AM (view original):
Trade down, someone always wants to move up.   Grab an extra pick or player and let someone else make a decision.   If you can, trade down twice.   Whatever the draft Fred Lynn and Keith Hernandez are in I did that and dropped from like 1 to 4 to  8 and picked up something like an extra  1st and 2nd the next year.
sounds like trentonjoe is the bill belichek of progressives
More like the Eric Mangini
10/28/2010 10:08 PM
◂ Prev 12
Progressive 1st pick in 1955? Which HOF'er Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.