Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

No one (should) cheer for a no range shortstop hitting .212. A team willing to play that guy because the dumbass fans like that guy is a poorly run team.
3/25/2013 1:58 PM
If he bats .212 for half the season, he'd get a chance to redeem himself the following year.  There's almost no way the Yankees would release him.
3/25/2013 2:04 PM
I hope so. I root for Tampa.
3/25/2013 2:06 PM
There are Tampa fans?!?!?
3/25/2013 2:08 PM
It's a business.  The fans are the customer.

You've seen the Cubs.  Stadium full of fans cheering on a Triple A equivalent.  

3/25/2013 2:09 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2013 2:08:00 PM (view original):
There are Tampa fans?!?!?
Well, I'm in SoCal, but I like the way they are run, so they're my AL team. I grew up a Dodger fan but they are run like ****. 
3/25/2013 2:14 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 2:09:00 PM (view original):

It's a business, winning is what attracts money, not bad shortstops. People love Jeter because he had a hall of fame career and helped the Yankees win. When his offense falls off the same cliff that his defense fell off years ago, that love will fade quickly.
3/25/2013 2:16 PM
FWIW, I like the Dodgers' chances more than the Rays this year.

In 2014, I think the best scenario for the Yankees is Jeter, regardless of what happens this year.  They'll spend the $8M and hope he puts up numbers similar to 2012, rather than spend more money to get someone else.  As we discussed at another time, it's not easy to get a great SS through FA.
3/25/2013 2:21 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/25/2013 2:21:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I like the Dodgers' chances more than the Rays this year.

In 2014, I think the best scenario for the Yankees is Jeter, regardless of what happens this year.  They'll spend the $8M and hope he puts up numbers similar to 2012, rather than spend more money to get someone else.  As we discussed at another time, it's not easy to get a great SS through FA.
I think that has more to do with the competition in the division and Clayton Kershaw. But those contracts will come back to bite them in the *** very soon.
3/25/2013 2:25 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/25/2013 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 2:09:00 PM (view original):

It's a business, winning is what attracts money, not bad shortstops. People love Jeter because he had a hall of fame career and helped the Yankees win. When his offense falls off the same cliff that his defense fell off years ago, that love will fade quickly.
I'll put it another way.   Fans want to believe that the organization cares about them.  They don't but that's another discussion.   Fans also know they're not nearly as important to the organization as a SS.   If they'll **** all over a HOF SS who helped them win, what do you think the organization thinks of Joe Fan in the bleachers?

And, beyond that, I think most people like to see people treated with dignity and respect.  Unless their name is A-Rod and then no one cares how he's treated.
3/25/2013 3:19 PM
Will you stop rooting for the Yankees if they release 40 year old Jeter after he hits .212 for a year?
3/25/2013 3:22 PM
He might.
3/25/2013 3:26 PM
I'm one fan.   I can't pretend to speak for all of them.

I was disappointed when they traded Roberto Kelly to make room for Bernie.   I was disappointed with the way Bernie ended his career. I was unhappy with Torre's little book.   I was disappointed with the public negotiation with Jeter.   But, no, I won't stop rooting for the Yankees.   I'll cuss Cashman and the H&H boys if they handle it poorly.   I may lose interest of have some insane one man boycott of all things Yankees for a month or something.   I'll probably say "So now you're gonna pay Jeter 8m to not play while using Nunez at SS?  Nice move, jackwads!!!"    But, in the end, I'll put my faded Yankee hat back on.

I don't think there's any way in hell they release Jeter so, mostly, this is just chit chat.  It won't happen.
3/25/2013 3:29 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 3:29:00 PM (view original):
I'm one fan.   I can't pretend to speak for all of them.

I was disappointed when they traded Roberto Kelly to make room for Bernie.   I was disappointed with the way Bernie ended his career. I was unhappy with Torre's little book.   I was disappointed with the public negotiation with Jeter.   But, no, I won't stop rooting for the Yankees.   I'll cuss Cashman and the H&H boys if they handle it poorly.   I may lose interest of have some insane one man boycott of all things Yankees for a month or something.   I'll probably say "So now you're gonna pay Jeter 8m to not play while using Nunez at SS?  Nice move, jackwads!!!"    But, in the end, I'll put my faded Yankee hat back on.

I don't think there's any way in hell they release Jeter so, mostly, this is just chit chat.  It won't happen.
So you'll support them either way because you are a fan of the team, not a fan of individual players. You may have your favorite players but you would become a Red Sox fan if they suddenly acquired Jeter and Rivera and hired Bernie Williams as a fielding instructor.

And I'm guessing you'd rather see them win more games with a competent shortstop (both offensively and defensively) instead of less games with Jeter making outs with the bat and costing you outs with his glove.
3/25/2013 4:23 PM
I'm saying you're presenting a scenario that makes no sense.   I'm assuming you're doing that because you didn't know that Jeter's option was a player's option and don't want to be "wrong".   I'll add that it's OK because I have no idea who has what option on the Dodgers, Angels or whoever you root for.

I'll add that fans are fickle.   You win and most is forgiven.   You don't win and every move you make is rehashed. 

All that said, if the Yanks give Jeter an unconditional release and lose, they'll lose fans.  Some forever.  If they give Jeter an unconditional release and win, they'll lose fans.  But most will come back when they start winning.   And they'll say "Bah, Jetah should have hung it up with dignity.  Gimme a hawt dawg."

Now I'll repeat what I said.    It won't happen.   The Yanks will not release Jeter next year. 
3/25/2013 4:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.