Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Well, ****, work got in the way.  What dbater said.
3/27/2013 4:09 PM
Looks like Jhonny Peralta was a free agent that year.  And it doesn't have to be a SS to improve the team, just like the Braves didn't improve their team (arguable) by upgrading at 3B.  I also remember the Yankees bidding on Cliff Lee and losing.
3/27/2013 4:16 PM
Hehe.  Peralta.   You know that's not an upgrade.  

Lee's wife vetoed any move to NY.   The fans didn't treat that country skank well.
3/27/2013 4:19 PM
Seriously, signing Jeter to 3/45 with a 8m player option was a good call.    He was productive the last two seasons and they made the playoffs.   I get the feeling that this year is gonna look bad.   But how many bad years are the Angels gonna have with Pujols?   Or the Yanks with A-Roid?    Signing players into their late 30s is never a winning proposition.  
3/27/2013 4:27 PM
Peralta had a better 2011 than Jeter, Jeter had a better 2012 than Peralta.  I had said equal value, and I'd argue it's close.

If Lee shows his wife $5 million more a year than originally offered, she may change her tune.

It's impossible to predict this far into the future, though.  With Lee and sans Jeter, Kuroda might not be here, etc  The Yankees probably have a much MUCH different team now.

The point is that Jeter isn't driving Yankee attendance.  Wins do.  If Jeter has a Jeter season, and the Yankees win 83, attendance will drop some next year, even if Jeter says in 2014.  If the Yankees win the division, and Jeter retires next year, attendance isn't falling.
3/27/2013 4:27 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/27/2013 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Seriously, signing Jeter to 3/45 with a 8m player option was a good call.    He was productive the last two seasons and they made the playoffs.   I get the feeling that this year is gonna look bad.   But how many bad years are the Angels gonna have with Pujols?   Or the Yanks with A-Roid?    Signing players into their late 30s is never a winning proposition.  
I'd argue all 3 are bad contracts.  Yankees could have had Jeter for less and spent the additional money elsewhere.
3/27/2013 4:29 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/27/2013 4:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/27/2013 4:27:00 PM (view original):
I'd argue all 3 are bad contracts.  Yankees could have had Jeter for less and spent the additional money elsewhere.
The Yankees could have let Jeter walk.   They could have had A-Rod for less or let him walk.   They could have had CC for less or let him walk.  I dare say they could have had every free agent for less or let them walk.

I'm failing to see your point.     This isn't 1919, Mr. Comiskey.    Players will get paid what the market will bear.   Owners aren't really interested in upsetting the fan base.   When you're on a successful run, and one player has been in the center of it, you don't just say "**** it.  He won't go play elsewhere.   Offer him 1m a year and tell him to like it." 

So, I ask, what's your ******* point?
3/27/2013 4:47 PM
Try it another way.

Who was going to sign Wright thru 2020 besides the Mets?   And a lot of those years are at 20m each.    Why would the Mets commit to such a thing?
3/27/2013 4:54 PM
Angry Mike! ROAR!

Yes, if you want the high priced FA, you generally have to spend more than he's worth.  If you remember correctly w/Jeter, he asked for a certain price, seemed insulted when the Yankees actually tried to negotiate, and told him to "see what the market bears" when everyone knew he wasn't going to do that.  What he signed was pretty much what the Yankees offered originally.  I argued at the time that they could offer Jeter 3 years at 24 mil and he'd ultimately sign it, because that was probably around market value, and everyone knew Jeter had no desire to play anywhere else.
3/27/2013 4:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/27/2013 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Try it another way.

Who was going to sign Wright thru 2020 besides the Mets?   And a lot of those years are at 20m each.    Why would the Mets commit to such a thing?

Did you miss this?    What other teams were bidding for Wright into his late 30s?    I don't even remember the full contract but I think it was 8 years at about 150m.   Why would the Mets, pourmouthing that they're broke because of Madoff, pay this kind of money?   Is Wright worth this much on the field?  For a team that isn't likely to compete throughout much of the deal?

What's your take on this ridiculous contract?

3/27/2013 6:03 PM
BTW, do you know why you say 3/24m instead of 3/5m?   Because of the media/fans.    A fan says "****.  He's being offered 8m a year.  TO PLAY BASEBALL!!!  Greedy sonofabitch."    The number has to be high enough to get the people behind ownership.    If Jeter had such a desire to play for NYY, seems like they could have really lowballed him.     So do you think fan opinion matters?
3/27/2013 6:06 PM
8 years, $138.  Mets may have overpaid somewhat, sure, like I said, long-term deals for stars are generally contracts where you have to pay more than they're actually worth.  I would guess he'd get more on the open market.  The contract actually saved the Mets $8M this season compared to what he was going to make from his last contract, and much of the contract is loaded up into the 2014-2018 years.  Gives the impression that the Mets think they'll be able to spend money and compete during that time.  Also, his age 36 and 37 years are much less than his 2014-2018 years.  Wright specifically asked for this so that the Mets wouldn't be hamstrung by a high-priced, declining player.

AGAIN, it's not the point.  If the Mets offered much less than that, Wright probably tests free agency and loses him.  My point with Jeter was that the Yankees probably could have offered half the contract they did to a declining, poor defensive 37 year old Jeter, and could have signed him for that, as that was probably still over his market value.  Obviously, he had a good year last year, but he easily had the worst year of his career in 2010, and 37 year old middle infielders generally don't improve over time.

I don't really understand your last point.  Yes, fans were starting to turn on Jeter, which is one of the reasons why Jeter ultimately would have signed the 3/24 contract I'm proposing. 
3/28/2013 9:42 AM
So the Mets had him under contract and decided to extend him into his late 30s?   Do you really think a 33 y/o Wright is worth 20m a year?   Would you like to know why the Mets did this despite saying "Madoff took our money?"   I'll tell you even if you don't.

The Mets are not good.   New Yorkers have lots of options on which to spend their disposable income.   Wright is the Mets most popular player.   The Mets could have let him test the market.   However, a bad team with no star in a city with lots of entertainment options would be in deep ****.  They knew their new stadium would be empty.   They did not want to be Marlins North. 

I'm not sure you can decide what Jeter would have done.  Do you have inside info?   Remember Andy Pettite?   Yanks basically said "Here's what we're willing to pay.  See if you can get more" to him.  He went to Houston.  In case you haven't noticed, he's back with the Yanks.  He didn't want to leave either.   Professional athletes play the "respect" card all the time.   It means "Market-based value" and, when the teams don't approach that number, they move on.   Would Jeter have left if someone else offered 3/33 to your proposed 3/24?  Yeah, I think so.   Urlacher is a good, recent example.   Bears offered 2m.   After declining, he said "I'm not going to play for 2m.  Well, at least not for the Bears."  
3/28/2013 10:00 AM
The Mets extended Wright because he's a great baseball player, and he's going to help the Mets win games in the future.  It's not easy to find 3rd basemen who can do what Wright does.  He's part of the solution, so they signed him.  Again, he's probably making market value, possibly less than that.  The Mets have claimed that the Madoff stuff won't be an issue in the near future, and this contract validates that.  The fact that Wright is making $8M less this year than he would have had he done nothing shows that it might be an issue this year.  

The stadium WILL be empty this year, DESPITE Wright being there.  Can you guess why?  Hint - you said it in your last post.

Jeter would have signed the 3 year, $24 million contract I'm proposing, because no other team is offering that.  There isn't much value for a 37 year old SS who isn't good defensively with a mid .700s OPS.  You got your Jeter Goggles on again.  
3/28/2013 10:11 AM
Do you remember any rumors about other teams reaching out to Jeter with contract offers?  Surely, if there was, the Jeter camp would have leaked them to help his leverage.  
3/28/2013 10:13 AM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.