FAQs on Progressives Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bagchucker on 3/5/2011 7:26:00 AM (view original):
they call me Uncle Veto
I'll vouch for this. Pretty sure he's vetoed @80% of my deals, but all went through....

But for those first timers reading this, it's spot on. contrarian23 is a solid owner and I have shared many leagues w/ him.
3/5/2011 4:15 PM (edited)
I would begin a search by looking for progressives run by excellent commissioners. They control the league, generate interest in it when someone drops out, and they tend to attract really good owners.
3/5/2011 6:44 PM
This is a great writeup.  I will look into a progressive league as soon as I finish up my current team. 
3/5/2011 7:31 PM
Nice job contrarian23,I think a lot of owners overlook porgressives because they don't understand how they work.....and like you said,if you are going to join one ,consider it a long term deal. The 2 progressives I'm in have been for 14 and 6 seasons.  I like drafting and building a team from season to season as much as the games being simmed. 
5/10/2011 7:11 PM
Well done!
11/19/2011 5:48 PM
Progressives are the best leagues to be in.
12/5/2011 7:40 PM
I'm in two ongoing progs (13 and 9 seasons.)  Wouldn't even consider playing another OL.
1/19/2012 10:23 PM
Thanks, contrarian23.  A good friend is suggesting I join a progressive.  My fear is that with inexperience I would GM/manage so badly people would think I was tanking! 
But I could see where you would not want to go back to OLs if you became good at this.
1/24/2012 10:07 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 1/24/2012 10:29:00 PM (view original):
Oh, you've got to start somewhere...

Trust me on this, there is a huge difference between "cluelessness" (over- or under-valuing players and therefore drafting and/or trading poorly) and "tanking" (deliberately playing to lose with the team that you have.) 
This really seems like fun.  I know I'm heading towards this.  Basic strategy checking then, hope you don't mind: 
1. Given a certain season, you would have to search to find all those who had good relatively lengthy careers from that point on.  
2. I've never done a draft but I imagine you'd have to have quite a long, well-crafted list of players to be ready for the draft or you could be sucking wind for a long time trying to catch up.  
3. Do the leagues have AAA players or should we draft for all of the PA/IPs we will need?  If there are a lot of teams in a progressive league, it seems as if it would be difficult in a single-season league to find enough players to make it through a season.
Am I on the right track? 

1/24/2012 10:47 PM
Aloha, 2bvision.

1. Yes and no. Team needs vary from year to year. Sometimes you may be better off drafting a player w/ 1-2 decent years to fill a roster hole, or depending on the round in which ur picking take someone who matures in a couple of campaigns. Your drafting strategy is a season by season thing.

2. Well, theories vary here. On average a team will draft from 3-6 new players each year. So given your team's potential needs, it's not like you have to have a personal database on all the new players coming out. Plus teams cut players, so each draft has rookies, cut players, previously undrafted players etc to choose from.

3. This answer depends on the league you choose to join. Some leagues have aaa, some don't. Some have mlb drafted aaa. Depends on league rules. As for finding pa/ip, that would.depend on the era of the progressive AND how many teams are in the league.

Feel free to sitemail me and/or check out in the sim baseball classifieds, the Centenary League Progressive, run by catdinaldave.
We have openings and a great group of owners.....
1/25/2012 1:47 AM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
FAQs on Progressives Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.