Rookie leagues Topic

Half a suggestion, half a collection of ideas or, maybe, a place to reject it totally.

I think there needs to be a better place for the newb. We probably all started with SLB, or one of the other simulations, and we started with the 10 game free exhibition season to see how it works.

With HBD, they get dunked in the water cold.

The ultimate in my head is to have newb only leagues with volunteer moderators (who gets comped the same as private league commish). A place where everyone is new, where they can all make their mistakes at the same time.

I've mulled a pro con list;

Pro
-Newb rape free
-Commish can answer questions in the league chat, and can be proactive in bailing out rookie mistakes
-level playing ground

Con
-hard to do with a dynasty league. Do you run 2 seasons so they see the rollover, then wipe the league clean?
-alias magnet
-commish passed on their biases

Any thoughts, additions, complete rejection?
3/14/2011 12:28 PM

The alias problem.   I'd say "No rewards" and it doesn't go on your permanent record.   That might deter the "n00b killer" alias from bothering to join.   Except some of the destructive aliases just want to ruin the experience for some.  Nothing you can do to stop them.

You can't really run an abbreviated version of a season because the n00bs won't be able to get the full fatigue experience unless the players created have limited durability.   Maybe limit the number of minor league levels to keep it easier.   ML, High minors, Low minors. 

WifS would need to be VERY hands-on with choosing the commish.  Seems like they'd only need a couple as there can be that many n00bs.

3/14/2011 1:04 PM
Agree with all. Also think that a hands on commish would kill an alias pretty quickly, if given proper authority.
3/14/2011 1:19 PM
Since it's design would be for a learning experience, I'd probably recommend giving the commish veto power.    That way, if an alias is trying to win a meaningless WS, the commish can stop him from trading with himself or raping n00bs.  But that's anther reason WifS would need to pick the right people as commish. 

I'd probably reduce the league size to 16 in order to keep a world somewhat available.   Season ends after the league championship series.   Maybe skip the WC since it really doesn't matter if every owner stays involved.  I imagine some n00bs would start to feel like they understand enough to play in a "regular" world before a season completed anyway.   Since there are no credits, it doesn't really matter if some owners bail.  Might even be good as a learning experience for those who stick out the season.  They'll learn what it's like to be in a world with teams that go unattended.
3/14/2011 1:28 PM

I think this is a great idea.  I'd also reduce the season length to 54 games, spring training to 6 games, and as DIAH suggested, let each world last two seasons so that you get to experience rollover.

I also think that this will never happen.  WIS would have to clone the current engine and modify it for all the above changes, not an insigificant effort.  I get the feeling, due to (a) lack of developer chats, (b) lack of HBD updates, and (c) perceived general decline in customer support that there's not a whole lot of time being spent on HBD other than keeping the engines running and basic ticket support going on in the home office these days.

3/14/2011 2:14 PM
Well, yea, if you change it that much.

Agree that the tweaks you and Mike would do would be the ultimate win, but really, same engine, run it two seasons, and police it to be rookie only...that's still a win for a newb.

The easiest and probably best suggestion; no reward. Exchange that for a rookie promo code to get them in the door, Bob's yer uncle.
3/14/2011 2:21 PM
Been tossing this around..I'm changing no rewaard suggestion. But still agree not to base it on record.

Instead, replace it witn an attendance reward. Ie log in daily, receive $x off your next team.

That might cut abandonment, although nohing will stop the newb that thinks HBD sucks.
3/21/2011 7:04 PM
Rookie leagues Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.