A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

I see a couple of things I'd alter or add to:  Calls to players in a division above yours sometimes go unanswered and you get no info.  A call to a coach is always answered and gives you the info you need on whether a player will be receptive or not. 

A scholarship offer seems self-explanatory, but 1) it has to be offered or a player will not sign, 2) I've known numerous coaches who have forgotten to offer it, had the recruit considering only them, and spending their cash on other things only to run out without offering the scholarship.  Don't forget to offer it!
4/16/2011 10:53 PM
Not going to get into it with jbrewman again.  Now it comes out that he's only sending 1 SV.  That's probably his problem.  Anyway, I just wanted to expand on the point I made earlier about prestige not being very important in D3 in terms of being an effort multiplier.  I just won a recruiting battle in D3 with 24 HVs and 10 SVs from a C- school against 20 HVs, a start, and 20 minutes from an A school.  Having to do the 10 SVs was where the higher-prestige school had the advantage.  The guy would talk to him right off the bat.  But the overall effort was pretty darn close for a 2 1/3 grade prestige difference.
4/17/2011 2:56 PM
Also I think I slightly overspent.  He ran out of money and I sent a few more HVs (I think 2) without realizing he wouldn't be doing any more spending.
4/17/2011 2:57 PM
dahs, what were the distances if you have them?
4/17/2011 2:57 PM
Probably irrelevant as any kind of multiplier.  Mine was 170, I would guess his was slightly less.
4/17/2011 4:10 PM

I think I was at 150 in that battle, so nothing important. That battle completely ends any myth that D1 and D3 prestige are at all similar. In that battle prestige doesn't even seem like it mattered. Maybe I had a 5% edge but even that seems like a lot considering the outcome.

4/17/2011 7:08 PM
Has D3 gotten a lot more recruiting money?  I can really never recall putting that much effort into a recruit at that level.  That would consume my entire budget.  24 home visits?  Seriously?
4/17/2011 10:22 PM
No more money, and I'm a little surprised by the amount of money available, too.

Must not have spent much on the other guys.

I don't think prestige is worth much, if anything, at D3.  The real advantage comes from who you can recruit, which is actually a fairly important advantage.
4/17/2011 11:34 PM
I had 4 open spots and got the other 3 guys fairly cheap.
4/17/2011 11:59 PM
And his conference had about 4k extra in tournament money. I dumped my whole budget for 2 players.
4/18/2011 12:31 AM
If you're a B+ D3 team, recruiting 6 players, do you aim only for DII or go for high DIII too?

When doing DIII players: Do you open with a call or just start hitting them with scouting visits?
4/19/2011 12:06 PM
I personally want to go for the best player. . and sometimes players on your d3 search with the right potentials can be better than those you find on the d2 search.\

4/19/2011 12:10 PM
i always figure d3 prestige at 10% per grade. no matter where you stand in the d1 prestige debate, d3 is definitely nowhere close to d1. and honestly, it could easily be less than 10% - i usually just figure 10% to be safe (assuming i am the lower prestige school).
4/19/2011 12:18 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 4/17/2011 7:08:00 PM (view original):

I think I was at 150 in that battle, so nothing important. That battle completely ends any myth that D1 and D3 prestige are at all similar. In that battle prestige doesn't even seem like it mattered. Maybe I had a 5% edge but even that seems like a lot considering the outcome.

you are talking about the same battle? what cycle did the player end up signing in? i would think that battle dahs described would come right down to the wire, and go in the 8am cycle 2 days after signings. but if he went 11am the day after signings, that would suggest prestige is less than the 10% figure i have always thrown around.

4/19/2011 12:21 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/17/2011 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Also I think I slightly overspent.  He ran out of money and I sent a few more HVs (I think 2) without realizing he wouldn't be doing any more spending.
interesting... kmason, can you confirm dahs was in fact ahead before sending those last couple HVs? 

also, this battle was close enough, that the early effort bonus or whatever you want to call it has to be considered. when did you guys spend the bulk of your cash?
4/19/2011 12:23 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
A recruiting guide for New Coaches Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.