Posted by cydrych on 6/15/2011 7:22:00 PM (view original):
They aren't entitled to getting paid! If they were truly entitled, they could go on strike... refuse to play until the rules are changed. They won't do that because they can't.
I don't think it is about hypocrisy. I think it is just a deliberate resistance to change. College athletics used to be like high school athletics. You go to school, you play the sport(s) that you love, and maybe you can set yourself up for the next level. High school players aren't entitled to a share of the gate receipts. High school players don't get endorsements. High school players aren't allowed to accept booster gifts. What is the serious harm in colleges that want to maintain that same "purity" of the student-athlete concept? Sure it helps the administration -- some of them make big bucks, but it also vastly helps the schools (both on campus and in public visibility). The only difference between high school and college athletics is (or should be) the number of digits on the checks that support the athletic departments. That, in itself, is no reason to change the rules.
Don't get me wrong. I don't mind if they change the rules. I personally don't care if a guy sells a ring for some cash or tattoos. I wouldn't have a problem if a company was allowed and chose to endorse a college player. Let them hash out an arrangement and sign a contract. I just do not see that players are entitled to any of the proceeds that the athletic departments make while they play their sport for their school. And if you are going to start paying students to play, then I think you should pay them all (you are arguing about fairness, right?), not just the football and basketball players. Soccer, tennis, and hockey players have the same wants and needs as football players. Gymnasts and swimmers engage in the same sh$tload of hours for their sport as well. If you are going to treat some of them "right", you need to treat them all "right".
I read somewhere that 50 or so university presidents are going to get together with the NCAA in the next couple months. Maybe you'll inspire them to change. But for 99% of the student-athletes out there, it is a privilege to play their sport for their school. I doubt they are going to see a good reason to change the entire structure of college sports for the other 1%.
Fairness is part of it. But fairness doesn't mean paying student athletes simply for time and effort. In a non-income (or a money losing sport), I think the traditional compensation package (scholie, room, board) is probably a good (or more than a good) deal for field hockey player. If you're a five-star WR going to a BCS school, highly unlikely. And if it was sufficient, schools and boosters wouldn't need to go to the lengths they do to lure in talent. Going with the business analogy that people like to use, workers with different skill sets and performing different tasks do not get paid the same. Especially when the company funds its entire business primarily on the talent and work of a small group.
Another part is opportunity to profit from their skill set. Hockey, tennis, golf, soccer (mostly overseas) and to some extent baseball, an incredibly talented kid can make money in his sport without college. Basketball is different with the NBA age restriction even with lesser pro opportunities overseas. Football is unique animal. A talented kid cannot enter the NFL draft without the NCAA route. The CFL just isn't a option. And despite people saying all high school kids aren't ready, my guess is that some NFL teams would sign projects and wait.
But a big part is hypocrisy. Rather than just saying it's a great business model for schools and the labor is cheap, they trot out disingenuous arguments. You mentioned one, "What is the serious harm in colleges that want to maintain that same "purity" of the student-athlete concept
?" The "purity" of Cam Newton landing at Auburn. The "purity" of OJ Mayo at USC. The "purity" of SMU, Miami, etc., etc.. And give me a break about the student
Let kids do ads, get sponsors, sign an autograph, hire agents, etc. And if a BCS football player gets paid, and not just the same package as a female cross-country runner, the whole system doesn't come crashing down. Get everything out in the open.