What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

Posted by moy23 on 9/8/2011 11:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by antonsirius on 9/8/2011 11:14:00 PM (view original):
No, moy, it's not dumb. By the end of the cycle CDO construction was driving the mortgage business, not the other way around. It's why so many corners were being cut on the paperwork, and why so many mortgages proved to be fraudulent after the fact - they existed solely to be grist for the derivatives mill. Nobody gave a **** whether the borrowers' obligations were met or not, because that money was peanuts compared to the money that was being made on the CDOs based on those obligations.
Yeah yeah yeah..... and companies incentivised employees to sell subprime and make short term profits while deferring risks.... yada yada yada......

If I walk onto a used car lot I am not OBLIGATED to go home with a new used car no matter how much they will give me or how pushy the salesman is. Its a big purchase.... a home..... the biggest purchase one will ever make in their lives.... BE FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE!!! I know dems have a hard time wrapping their brains around this concept but give it a try.
You get more swamp-like every day, moy. If I'm arguing against you, I must be a Democrat.
9/9/2011 8:12 AM
Thank you for at least admitting some fault of the borrowers.

You don't think being leveraged 35:1 had anything to do with it? That's like saying for every $10,000 I have in the bank I can margin $350,000 on etrade.
9/9/2011 8:15 AM
Its actually infuriating you guys absolve borrowers from any kind of fiscal responsibility ..... its horrifying.
Fiscal responsibility, no, borrowers don't get off the hook for that but for equally sharing the blame with lenders, bankers, legislators, etc...; no, the blame lies solely on the part of our political representatives for deregulation allowing the financial institutions, bankers, Wall Street to exploit the new laws and create this mess we are in.

You can post your elitist bullshit all you want but what it comes down to is banks and other lending institutions became predatory lenders and the borrowers the prey.  Ultimately, the lending institutions had final say on whether loans by high-risk borrowers should go through  - fiscal responsibility goes both ways.

The blame for our financial mess lies in Washington and Wall Street.

9/9/2011 10:26 AM
Posted by jiml60 on 9/9/2011 10:28:00 AM (view original):
Its actually infuriating you guys absolve borrowers from any kind of fiscal responsibility ..... its horrifying.
Fiscal responsibility, no, borrowers don't get off the hook for that but for equally sharing the blame with lenders, bankers, legislators, etc...; no, the blame lies solely on the part of our political representatives for deregulation allowing the financial institutions, bankers, Wall Street to exploit the new laws and create this mess we are in.

You can post your elitist bullshit all you want but what it comes down to is banks and other lending institutions became predatory lenders and the borrowers the prey.  Ultimately, the lending institutions had final say on whether loans by high-risk borrowers should go through  - fiscal responsibility goes both ways.

Wow.  I guess "personal responsibility" doesn't play much of a role in your life. 
9/9/2011 11:10 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/9/2011 11:10:00 AM (view original):

Wow.  I guess "personal responsibility" doesn't play much of a role in your life. 
And it looks like understanding the point of a post doesn't play much of a role in yours.
9/9/2011 11:18 AM
Let me put it this way.  I'd love to drive a Lamborghini.  I have fantastic credit and make enough to get approved for a loan.   I could probably cut back in a couple of places and even make the payments with no problem.   But, if I got hit with an unexpected expense, I'd be digging into savings rather quickly to stay afloat.   So do you know what I do?   I drive my pick-up.    You know why?   Because it's the responsible thing to do.
9/9/2011 11:20 AM
"the blame lies solely on the part of our political representatives for deregulation allowing the financial institutions, bankers, Wall Street to exploit the new laws and create this mess we are in."

"The blame for our financial mess lies in Washington and Wall Street."

Seems to me that defaulting on loans isn't a problem in your world. 

9/9/2011 11:23 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/9/2011 11:23:00 AM (view original):
"the blame lies solely on the part of our political representatives for deregulation allowing the financial institutions, bankers, Wall Street to exploit the new laws and create this mess we are in."

Seems to me that defaulting on loans isn't a problem in your world. 

Quote the whole post so the context is not changed.  You don't like when others do this to your posts so at least don't be a hypocrite in how you respond to others.
9/9/2011 11:28 AM

This line stood by itself and, I assume, summed up your point as it's what you closed with.   Am I mistaken?  If so, your post structure sucks.   You finish with a closing point. 

9/9/2011 11:32 AM
And I quoted your entire post in my intial response.  I'm not attempting to be deceptive.  Just succinct. 
9/9/2011 11:32 AM

totally agree - lenders were not fiscally responsible.

You are full of **** though if you don't think borrowers were not enjoying 'the game' as well. Everyone was running around talking about 'flipping properties' and plenty of people went out and put $200k down on one property just to take out a 100% inflated LTV HELOC to get the down payment for the next property they wanted to flip. The talk of the town "Invest in real estate - you can't lose". People STILL 'knowingly' inflate their income and the value of their homes when asked those questions for credit cards and loans. Oh, people were in on the game too... it was the cool thing to do 'at the time'.

Elitist Bullshit? I work at a bank (and I'm blaming them as well) --- I can tell you from experience that all we had to do was put a mortgage product out there and the borrower was more than happy to take it, no arm twisting involved. Never once did I witness 'preditory lending'. I bet its the same for anyone else in lending at the time. Don't act like the banks were FORCING people to take money.
9/9/2011 11:38 AM (edited)
The responsibility lies with the legislators and banking / financial institutions plus Wall Street.  Laws were designed for the latter two to exploit the market then leave the taxpayers holding the bag.

The borrowers responsibility for getting into loans they could not possibly pay off is their fault but that opportunity was created by the legislators fueled by the banking lobby.  Again, ultimately the buck could have stopped at the lenders desk with a simple no but they approved the loans.  So where is their responsibility? Seems they got off kind of easy, they were bailed out by the government, no one went to jail and people like you buy into this notion that borrowers are equally responsible for the disaster.
9/9/2011 11:40 AM
Posted by jiml60 on 9/9/2011 11:40:00 AM (view original):
The responsibility lies with the legislators and banking / financial institutions plus Wall Street.  Laws were designed for the latter two to exploit the market then leave the taxpayers holding the bag.

The borrowers responsibility for getting into loans they could not possibly pay off is their fault but that opportunity was created by the legislators fueled by the banking lobby.  Again, ultimately the buck could have stopped at the lenders desk with a simple no but they approved the loans.  So where is their responsibility? Seems they got off kind of easy, they were bailed out by the government, no one went to jail and people like you buy into this notion that borrowers are equally responsible for the disaster.
I said that we are ALL responsible... not that we are EQUALLY responsible. BIG difference. Do I care what the % blame is - NO! All parties are guilty.

Am I ****** that Obama, Bush, and McCain campaigned to pass a Stimulis Bill packed with pork to 'bail out' the banks (TARP)... YES. Am I ****** that tax money is being spent to 'bail out' home owners (Homeowners Affordablity) - YES. Am I ****** the US Auto industry was bailed out - YES. What kind of message does this send - nevermind - I already know, "Don't worry, It's Ok, Uncle Sam will get us out of this mess".
9/9/2011 11:54 AM

So one is absolved of responsibility because they took advantage of an opportunity?

9/9/2011 11:55 AM
◂ Prev 1...38|39|40|41|42...44 Next ▸
What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.