What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

Posted by jonas1102 on 8/2/2011 7:20:00 PM (view original):
The reason why the "rich" need to pay a "fair share" is because "they" are "job creators" and are not hiring.  There are two ways to increase revenue, increase rates or grow the amount of people contributing.  As long as "they" continue to hoard money, which is illustrated by the continually growing wealth gap, instead of investing in human capital there will be a revenue shortage.  And there is a revenue shortage.  In 2000 with a $10T GDP the government brought in more revenue than 2010 with a $16T GDP.

It is a jobs problem at the heart of the deficit problem.  Hiring people takes the unemployment benefit cost from $150B back to around $50B, and you increase the taxpayer base to jack up revenue.  Maybe Apple takes some of their $78B cash on hand and moves some production back to the US, as one example.  It's not the whole problem, but it's a start.

Other things, stop paying contractors three times the rate it would cost a soldier to do.  Heck, you could just end the wars.  You've got to cut defense, especially during a time when you have no real rivals.  Means testing social security and medicare makes sense, raising the contribution limit (not excessively) would also help.

Or we could just go with Julius Caesar method.  Kill the rich and take their money to fill the treasury as it gets low.
Do companies "owe" it to America to hire people they don't need?   If you pay the next door neighbor's kid $20 to cut your grass once a week, do you feel obligated to pay another kid $20 to inspect it when he's done?

Companies are in business to make money.   Plain and simple.  That means invoice as much as the market will allow and pay as little as the market will allow.  That's how business works. 
8/3/2011 9:16 AM
Actually, I can't leave it at that.

Why is it that everyone knows what the "fair share" is for someone else?    Or at least thinks that someone else should pay more?   Why, if you're so concerned, don't you tithe some of YOUR money to the government?   Do you file taxes, use all deductions possible and expect money back?  Why?  Maybe your "fair share" hasn't been paid. 
8/3/2011 9:38 AM
Goddam, I hate people.  ****.
8/3/2011 9:38 AM
Well, FASCINATING discussion, but I would peel it back to its basics.

Why does government exist? At its core, at its highest level, in a democratic society, it should exist to make decisions for the greater good of its people.

From there, opinions start splitting as to what is the greater good. Thus, the reason for multiple political parties with different ideology.

I think, and I say this as an outsider, a lot of that basic reason for existence is lost. In my country as well to some extent, but for totally different reasons than yours.

Generally, what is necessary?

• Create, pass and enforce laws to protect the general population
  • Administer the public funds in a manner that is responsible to the people and for the people
  • Protect the country from outside threat
That seems to be top 3 to me. How you do that is where you get into philosophical discussion.

It seems to be that a lot of your deficit was created outside of the scope of those 3 basic tenets. If I were American, I'd want to roast someone on the spit for the clusterfuck that's been created.
8/3/2011 1:26 PM
And DON'T tell me the Iraq invasion achieved point 3. You will never, ever, ever convince me of that.
8/3/2011 1:27 PM
This thread is a good example of where it went wrong.  Everyone seems to know how best to distribute someone else's money for the "greater good".
8/3/2011 1:35 PM
8/3/2011 2:01 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
STICK IT TO THE MAN, CRESTY!!!
8/3/2011 2:17 PM
Posted by antoncresten on 8/3/2011 2:10:00 PM (view original):
SOAK THE FRIGGIN RICH

500,000+ UP GET TO PAY THEIR 40%
NO LOOPHOLES, NO DEDUCTIONS

AMERIKA WANTS ITS DUE
BRING BACK THE DRAFT
NO EXCEPTIONS, NO EXCUSES
Bringing back the draft is not in the riches plan. They have made it clear that they want to cut student college grants and anything else that would help a poor person an education. This way one of their choices is to enter in the services, since there are hardly any jobs available. The rich offspring go to college the poor go fight on the soil of some distant land
Believe me if the rich have their way there will never be any rich kid coming home for the last time via Dover AFB.
8/3/2011 4:20 PM
I thought we were trying to decrease military spending.    Why have a draft?  
8/3/2011 5:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/3/2011 5:05:00 PM (view original):
I thought we were trying to decrease military spending.    Why have a draft?  
Having a draft will decrease military spending as soon as a couple of rich kids go home via Dover AFB. That war hawk crap will come to a complete halt when they find out their relatives will have to go too!! There wouldn't be a situation where our troops will be put into harms way unless it is an absolute necessity.
8/3/2011 11:18 PM
I always love when a person is willing to make policy based on their prejudices against their political opponents!

You are so sure that people will stop believing in defending America if one of their kids is killed?

I can think of 2 Conservative congressmen with children serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Rich people have always served. A Kennedy was killed in WWII and another almost.

I am sorry that your bias makes you see flaws in your enemies where none exist!
8/4/2011 2:05 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...44 Next ▸
What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.