Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

The game is certainly different - defenses have their hands tied a bit more now.  There are also a lot more passes thrown now.   I haven't even looked to see how much the league wide interception rate has changed over time.
10/11/2013 12:27 PM
The biggest change is philosophy.     Back in the day, it was acceptable to "take a shot downfield".   If it was an interception, it was considered the same as a punt.   Nowadays, you throw it away as a turnover is considered the root of all evil.   Well, unless you're Tony Romo.
10/11/2013 12:40 PM

You live by the Romo, you die by the Romo.  The passing game is all they have.  I blame the rest of the team, even the organization, a lot more than I blame Tony Romo for the lack of success during his tenure.

League interception rate has changed a lot over time, mostly subtle improvements since early/mid 90's but a lot lower than it was in 70's and 80's based on the sample I looked at.

10/11/2013 12:54 PM
A good friend of mine is a big Cowboys fan.  I was giving him **** at lunch today about Romo.     He almost quoted "The passing game is all they have.  I blame the rest of the team, even the organization, a lot more than I blame Tony Romo for the lack of success during his tenure" in Romo's defense.

My point is simple.    That was a poor decision and he makes them too often.
10/11/2013 1:21 PM
I wish he didn't make 'em but he's the only reason they're worth watching, in my opinion.  Hey, you'll like this:

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2013/10/the-truth-about-tony-romo.html
10/11/2013 1:59 PM
Stop with the facts.  Romo always blows games because er derrrrrr
10/11/2013 3:05 PM
Yep. Facts.

- The botched snap against the Seahawks (not even a quarterback play!)
- Interception to seal a loss to the Giants in the '08 Divisional Round
- Three turnovers in a Week 17 eliminating loss to the Eagles
- Two interceptions in a Week 17 eliminating loss to the Giants
- A late-game pick in a Week 17 eliminating loss (sensing a theme here?) to the Redskins
10/11/2013 3:56 PM
- Two interceptions in playoff loss to San Francisco
- Three turnovers in humiliating playoff loss to Chicago
- Throws 14 INTS in teams 8 losses, personally derailing team out of playoffs in 2008
- Throws 9 INTS in 3 games in late November/early December, essentially eliminating team from playoffs in 2012

See how fun this is?  That's Drew Brees.
10/11/2013 4:50 PM
- Two interceptions in playoff loss to Denver
- Throws pick and chokes in Indy territory in playoff loss to Colts
- Scores just 14 points in Super Bowl against Giants with loaded offense that steamrolls every team during year
- Four turnovers in playoff loss to Baltimore
- Two interceptions in playoff loss to Baltimore

That's Tom Brady.
10/11/2013 4:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/11/2013 8:36:00 AM (view original):
What do you think is the better outcome?

3rd and 22 while forcing the other team to use two timeouts before the inevitable punt?
Interception while giving the other team the ball on your 25 with three timeouts inside two minutes?

Seriously, QBs are paid good money to make good decisions and give their team the best chance to win.
I don't think it's a good outcome for the Cowboys if Romo doesn't take that shot. There was ONE punt all game. If they give it back to Denver there, it's likely a loss anyway. Romo took a chance. And it's not like he threw it right into Travaythan's gut. That was a pretty damn good defensive play.

It's funny that you ripped Manning and Fox in their playoff loss last season for running out the clock and going to OT, but now you blast Romo for doing the exact opposite.
10/11/2013 8:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/11/2013 11:02:00 AM (view original):

Comparing present day QB interception rates to QB from the 70s/90s is silly.  

Sincerely MikeT23... The single best QB comparison w/ past seasons
versus the current NFL season, is who gets the 'W' when time expires,
& that's the QB comparison here, as follows --->>>

When a QB takes over an entire league, it's indeed a rare event... In the
'70's, Bob Griese in Miami was that QB... @ this same stage, he's also
dominating w/ an historical precedent... The W's didn't stop...

Like-wise, it happened again, a 2nd time when a QB took over the NFL,
and his name was Kurt Warner... His season, -was all that mattered in
that year, week-in, & week-out... W after W after W, & it didn't stop...

The last time eye saw this happen AGAIN, -was Tom Brady's season,
when the Super Bowl was the ONLY game on the schedule that didn't
produce the beloved W...

Simply, for only the 4th time, since the '70's, here we are again... All of
the entire NFL is only Peyton... No other team matters @ this point...

Just as no other team mattered to Griese, Warner, or Brady... How do
U seriously wish to view this season, w/ a satisfactory understanding ?

10/11/2013 10:54 PM (edited)
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/11/2013 8:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/11/2013 8:36:00 AM (view original):
What do you think is the better outcome?

3rd and 22 while forcing the other team to use two timeouts before the inevitable punt?
Interception while giving the other team the ball on your 25 with three timeouts inside two minutes?

Seriously, QBs are paid good money to make good decisions and give their team the best chance to win.
I don't think it's a good outcome for the Cowboys if Romo doesn't take that shot. There was ONE punt all game. If they give it back to Denver there, it's likely a loss anyway. Romo took a chance. And it's not like he threw it right into Travaythan's gut. That was a pretty damn good defensive play.

It's funny that you ripped Manning and Fox in their playoff loss last season for running out the clock and going to OT, but now you blast Romo for doing the exact opposite.
Uh, running out the clock and going for OT is a better option than throwing the ball to the other team on your 25.   But I'll play your silly game.   Manning would throw that ball away.  I trust Manning, with his giant sixhead, infinitely more to make the right decision than I do Romo.  Because Romo makes the wrong decision too often. 
10/12/2013 7:21 AM
Manning wouldn't throw that ball away. He'd throw it further to the right, where it would either be a completion or an incompletion - out of reach of the defender. But again, I don't think Romo thought his throw was that much of a risk. Travaythan made a good play. Was it a great throw? Not at all. Was it a ****** throw? No. If they go to OT there and Denver ends up receiving first, game over.
10/12/2013 10:34 AM
Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball are trash - every time they touch the ball it ends up on the ground.

And Vickerson with 3 personal fouls - cut his fat useless ***.
10/20/2013 11:57 PM
Complaining about montee ball when he didn't play? And vickerson screwed you yes, but a very large guy and seemed to be pushed a little, the roughing the passer looked like bullshit from my view...Peyton should had audilbled the Hillman run, they ran poorly all day, Hillman does suck but passing would had been more smart
10/21/2013 12:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...187|188|189|190 Next ▸
Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.