DIII Recruiting Manifesto For Rookies Topic

Reading all these post have really helped me with my recruiting and once I figure out the spreadsheets I'll be able to get rid of the 4x8 chalkboard in the extra bedroom. But I did have something happen that was kinda strange.  Tried to recruit a DL 284 miles away with good potential.  After the AC scout I offered him a SO start he declined.  I tried a HC visit he said don't bother.  I tried another HC visit again he said don't bother.  Offered a SO. start and a campus visit he declined both. All this time he was undecided with no other schools considered.  Then after signing all my recruits but one I offered him a campus visit and a scholarship and boom he signed.  all this time he never turned green for me or considered any other school that I saw. Thanks again for all the help full posts.
3/1/2012 12:27 AM
Posted by futurekid6 on 2/29/2012 11:53:00 PM (view original):
I NEED SOME HELP:  We're in the 2nd day of recruiting and the first signing doesn't happen until Friday. I have sent all my AC scouts out. I have a few players that might have gone under the radar and they have high potential and they've got green dots on them. Let's assume that the green dot remains and I'm the only school interested, I have two questions: If I send a home visit or campus visit, will they actually sign on the first wave of signings???  and if that's a yes, is it better to do a home visit just so I can save money since a CV is more expensive???

If they're already green, all you need to do is offer them a scholarship and they'll accept when the signing time comes (if they're still green).  You don't need to put any more recruiting effort into them unless they're green without a face to face (it looks like you used scouts, which count as a face to face) or if you want some layer of protection from other coaches.
3/1/2012 12:42 AM
Question on knocking out SIM AI: let's say the recruiting ends on a Saturday, when is the right time to knockout SIM AI with campus visits so the recruit turns green? Do I wait til the end or should i do it after in the middle cycles like on a Wednesday or Thursday? And do simultaneously send the scholarship offer too? I guess my fear is that they turn green and then other SIM AI step in. All info is appreciated. Thanks!
3/2/2012 3:08 PM
You want to knock sim teams off a recruit as quickly as possible. Sim teams are relentless recruiters and recruit every single cycle so you shouldn't let them hang around. Also, keep in mind that Sim teams get a head start on all of us.. They have their tags on recruits before we get a chance to act. Sim teams do not go after green recruits.
3/2/2012 3:14 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone.... Got another question:

In one world I'm a D-3 coach and in another I'm a
Newbie D-2 coach. What is the D-2 equivalent of a 450 rating in D-3?? Assume it's 550??? How bout D-2 to D-1AA?
3/3/2012 12:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about the total ratings of players, focus on their individual skills. You can compare DII recruits to other DII recruits to get a good idea of how different attributes stack up at different positions.
3/3/2012 1:49 AM
Posted by futurekid6 on 3/2/2012 3:08:00 PM (view original):
Question on knocking out SIM AI: let's say the recruiting ends on a Saturday, when is the right time to knockout SIM AI with campus visits so the recruit turns green? Do I wait til the end or should i do it after in the middle cycles like on a Wednesday or Thursday? And do simultaneously send the scholarship offer too? I guess my fear is that they turn green and then other SIM AI step in. All info is appreciated. Thanks!
I'm new on here but have been reading ALOT and have gotten alot of good info on the boards.  If you're hellbent on going after a recruit that has 3 SIM AI recruits in on him then you want to act ASAP like the others have mentioned.  You can typically throw 3 CV's at them and that will generally knock off the sims if you do it early.  I've actually done this 3 times and only once did I have a remaning SIM AI and even then it only took an additional CV to finally knock him off and have him become "green" to me and then when it opens up for signing you can throw the scholly at him and land him.  I generally check my recruits every 6-9 hrs if possible just to make sure they're all still "green" leading up to signing day.  If you're going to go all in on battling these sims you need to check your budget and see if you can afford to throw anywhere from 3-5 cv's at a certain player.  If you get these recruits that are 1000+ miles away that can get very expensive since most campus visits are 1k+ anyway..
3/3/2012 3:22 AM
thanks ohhale... great advice!
3/5/2012 4:17 PM
Posted by ohhale on 3/3/2012 3:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by futurekid6 on 3/2/2012 3:08:00 PM (view original):
I'm new on here but have been reading ALOT and have gotten alot of good info on the boards.  If you're hellbent on going after a recruit that has 3 SIM AI recruits in on him then you want to act ASAP like the others have mentioned.  You can typically throw 3 CV's at them and that will generally knock off the sims if you do it early.  I've actually done this 3 times and only once did I have a remaning SIM AI and even then it only took an additional CV to finally knock him off and have him become "green" to me and then when it opens up for signing you can throw the scholly at him and land him.  I generally check my recruits every 6-9 hrs if possible just to make sure they're all still "green" leading up to signing day.  If you're going to go all in on battling these sims you need to check your budget and see if you can afford to throw anywhere from 3-5 cv's at a certain player.  If you get these recruits that are 1000+ miles away that can get very expensive since most campus visits are 1k+ anyway..
Just to give you an example of why it's important to knock the SIM's off as early in the recruiting process, look at it this way.

As the guys mentioned above, when I did it Day 1 of recruiting, 3 CV's knocked off all 3 sims and I was in the lead all alone.

When I did the exact same thing on a different player on DAY 2, 3 CV's didn't knock ANY of them off, and only added me to the list as the 4th team the player was interested in.

Moral of the story, if you're going to go after a player SIMs are on, do it hard and do it EARLY.
3/5/2012 5:31 PM
Posted by bisoneer on 3/3/2012 1:49:00 AM (view original):
I wouldn't worry about the total ratings of players, focus on their individual skills. You can compare DII recruits to other DII recruits to get a good idea of how different attributes stack up at different positions.
NEVER, EVER LOOK AT OVERALLS, EXCEPT WHEN JUDGING YOUR VISION. You could very well sign a crappy 600 rated player, and sign a very good 475 rated player. Cores are the important part to look for, so judge the recruits by those.
3/5/2012 8:39 PM
Hey y'all, just tried to use yatzr's recruting tool for the 1st time...i got an error..(it put an error log in the file i created for it) anyone seen this before?
thanks in advance
W
3/9/2012 9:32 PM
Posted by soxyanks12 on 3/9/2012 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Hey y'all, just tried to use yatzr's recruting tool for the 1st time...i got an error..(it put an error log in the file i created for it) anyone seen this before?
thanks in advance
W
Open that error log file in a text editor and sitemail me what it says.  I should be able to figure out what the issue is.
3/11/2012 4:20 PM
Posted by vick12 on 1/10/2012 7:57:00 PM (view original):
Creaven

Glad you got use out of the manifesto...

The Div III player stuff is fluff. Basically all that means is the player is in the D III vision. If it said he's a DII player...it simply means the player shows up in that levels vision. So if you have better vision at DIII, you will see more of these DII type recruits.

As for the potential...here is the guide...

Potential Key

STL
1. Sky's the limit (in the AC scouting rreport)
2. Incredible upside potential (in the AC scouting rreport)
3. A truly gifted athlete (in the HC scouting report)

Great potential
1. Above average potential (in the HC scouting report)
2. He's got the potential to improve his game a lot over 4 years with us. (in the AC scouting report)
3. I'm sure that your guys took some good notes about my game, and recognized that I have an amazing upside to my game. (message from recruit)
4. Upside is my middle name (message from recruit) 
5. "improve a lot" (from AC scouting report)
6. "room to grow".
7. "With a little work, he could be a very good player" (from HC scouting report) 
8. "Good potential for improvement" (from the HC scouting report)
9. "He's not the most gifted athlete . . . but not bad at all." (from the HC scouting report).

Average potential:
1. Looks like he has a hard time making adjustments. (from the HC scouting report)
2. He's made good strides towards reaching his potential over the past couple years. (from the HC scouting report)
3. I think his growth potential is pretty average - nothing special. (from the AC scouting report)
4. My motor never stops running (message from recruit)
5. I give 110% out there (message from recruit)
6. I'm sure that your guys took some good notes about my game, and recognized that I've worked really hard and lived up to my potential. (message from recruit)  - This should actually be low potential.
7. "Some room for improvement, but not much." (from HC scouting report)
8. "Probably won't see huge improvements." (from HC scouting report)
9. "He seems slow to pick things up in practice." (from HC scouting report)

Low potential
1. "he's worked really hard in high school and has about reached his potential (from AC scouting report)
2. "tapped out" (from AC or HC scouting report, I forget which -- it's been a while since I've seen this message).

Hope that helps!!!
+1
3/21/2012 6:18 PM

Pin this thread already.

4/11/2012 5:01 PM
Lots of great info here.  Thanks, everyone.  Yatzr, I downloaded using your tool - excellent work.  Well done.

I'm not quite "getting" vision.  I have them in my download file (in red) but I dont know if these are guys I can/should go after.

EDIT:  I think I understand it - your vision is guys you can see based on whether you are Di, DII, DIII, etc.  If you're DII for example, you might not be seeing a guy pegged for a DIII team, but you might want to look at him...  Right?

4/16/2012 5:06 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
DIII Recruiting Manifesto For Rookies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.