Usage - How do I use this stat to build teams? Topic

ash in our regressive league my team would have 24 usage points according to your system(starters only) is regressive league much different or is that going to ruin my tittle chances?

I assume you mean with your starting five (always judge usage by the FoF rule - five on floor)
That question requires a complicated answer.

There are two issues with "too much" usage.  The first (and most important) is wasted salary.  Usage costs money.  Guys with identical stats in every facet except usage will have much different prices because of usage.  Usage costs more money.  So in an optimal sense, you don't want to waste money on possessions players will never get.

But you are playing in an uncapped league.  So, in that sense, no, it doesn't ruin anything.

It is, however, much more complex.  Let me make a team with too much usage real quick:

pg '08 Nash
sg '08 Kobe
sf '88 Barkley
pf '79 Moses
c '62 Wilt

That's 26 usage points.  Ignoring the fact you've wasted a ton of salary on possessions that will never happen, what's wrong with this picture?  You have two guys with 60% efg (nash is actually 59.7; Barkley is over 60) and another with almost 55% (moses).  But you have another guy with much higher usage in Kobe who barely has 50% efg% and then Wilt with even higher than that at just over 50%.  So now you're taking shots away from guys who have a much better chance of making shots and giving them to guys who have a lower chance to make them.

Now watch:

pg '08 Nash
sg '01 Barry (brent)
sf '92 Rodman
pf '88 Barkley
c '79 Moses

Now we're sitting at 13.5 points of usage.  Our top usage guy is Barkley, who has more than 60% efg and gets to the line a TON.  Our next high usage guy is Moses, 55% efg and gets to the line a lot, too.  Next highest usage guy is Nash, 59.7% efg ~ doesn't get to the line as much.  Our fourth highest usage guy is Barry (over 60% efg).  And finally, our final guy is a tier-6 usage guy who still shoots good when he does shoot but more importantly doesn't take away possessions from the guys who shoot fantastically. 

So we've taken and almost halved the usage, spent way less money, got better boards & I guarantee will perform much better offensively, both shooting the ball and getting to the charity stripe.
5/14/2012 8:17 PM
Bumped for an OL I'm in.
5/28/2012 9:20 PM
Bump.
6/30/2012 11:53 AM
Off the front page...time for a Bump. WIS go ahead and pin this thread!!
8/8/2012 2:11 AM
new update that I'm adding to the front:

8/7/2012 9:48 AM Customer Support
Josh,

Usage rate is not affected by position effectiveness or fatigue.

8/8/2012 5:23 AM

I just started playing the sim league for the first time three days ago so im very new to this. Besides deciding who gets to the foul line first or who does most of the shooting, does usage affect anything else such as: who does most of the rebounding or blocks in a game?

8/21/2012 4:28 PM
Curi maybe ash could give a better answer but no it doesnt decide rebounding that's dreb% and oreb% also usage also I think decides turnovers depending on how much usage you have.
8/21/2012 7:26 PM

TOs can be impacted by not having enough usage or individuals exceeding their usage, uptempo can increase to tendencies as well but I think individual TOV% and opp stl% are bigger factors

8/21/2012 7:37 PM
Posted by curiostegui on 8/21/2012 4:28:00 PM (view original):

I just started playing the sim league for the first time three days ago so im very new to this. Besides deciding who gets to the foul line first or who does most of the shooting, does usage affect anything else such as: who does most of the rebounding or blocks in a game?

No.  Well, actually yes, but in a roundabout kind of way...

When a shot is missed, the engine takes the offensive players oreb% and matches them up against the defenders' dreb%.  When significant advantages occur, the player with that advantage gets a bonus.  Don't ask me what a significant advantage is, I don't know - it's the vague wording of the sim knowledgebase I'm quoting.  The player that shot the ball will have a slight deduction to their oreb% (again, not sure what is slight), so in a way, usage does have some small effect on who gets the rebound.

For this reason, I often don't mind if my highest usage player is a little weak on the offensive boards, provided that I make up for that effort elsewhere.
8/22/2012 2:46 AM
starting to pay attention to the tiers a little more....bump
11/20/2012 12:56 PM
bump
2/26/2013 10:43 PM
I'm new to usage ratings and haven't really paid much attention to them until now. I just want to see if I'm gettingthe jist of how it works. From my understanding, your total usage points should range around 12-15 and your usage percentages should add up to under 100%? Is that right? What happens if you go over for them?
2/27/2013 2:07 AM
I pay little heed to total usage percentages... if you aim for 12-15 total usage points, you'll be in the right ballpark.  Going over doesn't help you, but it doesn't penalize you (with the exception of wasted salary on possessions you'll never get).  See:  the post at the top of this page for a good example.
2/27/2013 4:27 PM
for the love of god admin would you pin this f-ing thread!
5/9/2013 10:57 AM
Or better yet, how about fixing your game so there are no tiers.  How are 5 players at 17.6% usage the same as 5 players at 22.0% usage?  One is 20% more than the other for crying out loud.  The real, actual #s are there - use them.
5/13/2013 10:47 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...15 Next ▸
Usage - How do I use this stat to build teams? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.