I do not understand what many of the advanced stats mean.
For instance, exactly WHAT is "Effective FG%" - "Assist %" - "Usage %" - "Stl %" - "FG%+" - and "Blk %" ???
HELP me please!!!!!!!!!!!
(Thank you!!!!!)
12/30/2011 10:42 PM
Basketcall these are the stats you should be using to detemine what team your going to build. EFG is your shooting % with the amount of made three pointers factored in. Assist % will determine how many assits that player should have and should help the eFG of the rest of the team. Useage is a big one, it basically determines who's going to take the shot in any given play. The higher the useage the better chance that player will shoot the ball. There are few posts that will get into more detail about usesage. So I assume the rest is self explanatory except FG+ that's a useless stat
12/31/2011 7:57 AM
Also view explanations by holding mouse over column headers
Tm -- Team
Lg -- League
G -- Games
MP -- Minutes Played
PER -- Player Efficiency Rating; a measure of per-minute production standardized such that the league average is 15.
TS% -- True Shooting Percentage; a measure of shooting effeciency that takes into account 2-point field goals, 3-point field goals, and free throws.
eFG% -- Effective Field Goal Percentage; this statistic adjusts for the fact that a 3-point field goal is worth one more point than a 2-point field goal.
ORB% -- Offensive Rebound Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of available offensive rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor.
DRB% -- Defensive Rebound Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of available defensive rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor.
TRB% -- Total Rebound Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of available rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor.
AST% -- Assist Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted while he was on the floor.
STL% -- Steal Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of opponent possessions that end with a steal by the player while he was on the floor.
BLK% -- Block Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of opponent two-point field goal attempts blocked by the player while he was on the floor.
TOV% -- Turnover Percentage; an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays.
USG% -- Usage Percentage; an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor.
ORtg -- Offensive Rating; an estimate of points produced (players) or scored (teams) per 100 possessions.
DRtg -- Defensive Rating; an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions.
OWS -- Offensive Win Shares; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player due to his offense.
DWS -- Defensive Win Shares; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player due to his defense.
WS -- Win Shares; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player.
WS/48 -- Win Shares Per 48 Minutes; an estimate of the number of wins contributed by a player per 48 minutes (league average is approximately .100)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/

12/31/2011 12:22 PM
THANK YOU!!! The information you each posted is VERY helpful!!!!!
12/31/2011 7:05 PM
Can anyone tell me what the FG%+ stat in the player profile sheet means?
1/19/2012 1:54 PM
fg+ is an indicator.  It tells you how well a player shot in comparison to other players in that season.  For example, a player with exactly 100 on the fg+ stat means he shot the exact league average that year from the field.  A player with 110 in the fg+ stat shot 10% better than the league average.  So if the league average was .500 and a player shot .550, he would have a 110 in fg+.

What does this mean for your team?  Actually very little.  fg+ isn't implemented in the sim, though they try and claim it's the basis for 2pt# and 3pt#, though anybody should be able to see with very simple math that it is in fact not implemented anywhere near the level it should be.

(otherwise older players not named Wilt Chamberlain would be more favorable to use.  Wilt would be even better)
1/19/2012 8:27 PM
Posted by ashamael on 1/19/2012 8:27:00 PM (view original):
fg+ is an indicator.  It tells you how well a player shot in comparison to other players in that season.  For example, a player with exactly 100 on the fg+ stat means he shot the exact league average that year from the field.  A player with 110 in the fg+ stat shot 10% better than the league average.  So if the league average was .500 and a player shot .550, he would have a 110 in fg+.

What does this mean for your team?  Actually very little.  fg+ isn't implemented in the sim, though they try and claim it's the basis for 2pt# and 3pt#, though anybody should be able to see with very simple math that it is in fact not implemented anywhere near the level it should be.

(otherwise older players not named Wilt Chamberlain would be more favorable to use.  Wilt would be even better)
I believe that originally the intent of FG+ was to try to equalize the different eras.  This way players like Bob Cousy and Elgin Baylor would be more useable...seems to have worked just like everything else does around here.
1/19/2012 9:02 PM
Yup.  That was the intent.  It just failed.  Miserably.
1/19/2012 9:13 PM
tov is an advanced stat but how do you use it to build a team
4/9/2013 7:41 PM
The lower the tov%, the better.  As with all things, it's a delicate balance.
4/9/2013 7:46 PM

one that I plainly dont understand

4/9/2013 8:09 PM
but where is tov%. i dont see it in any stat line when i am building a team.
4/10/2013 9:07 PM
now you're trolling ash (he's lead the charge in asking for that to be a searchable stat for years but it's not) - your best bet right now is basketball reference . com
4/10/2013 9:23 PM
thank you. i thought i was missing something
4/11/2013 4:47 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.