Believe It or Don't! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by crazystengel on 12/10/2012 1:10:00 PM (view original):
You'd figure a team that started out 20-1, and finished with the best Exp. Pct. in the league, would at least make the playoffs, right?  Well, you'd figure wrong.  A team in my Random Captain theme got off to the aforementioned hot start, finished with an Exp. Pct. of .602 (which translates to 98 wins), yet wound up with just 88 wins -- 1 game out of the wild card.  A league-worst 25-35 record in 1-run games didn't help!

Believe It or Don't!
in the same way - you'd think that a progressive team that started off 1-19 would finish as one of, if not the worst teams in the league with a record well under .500, right??

After starting off 1-19, my 1969 Philadelphia Phillies finished 80-82...while still not great - they finished the season much better than they started!  
12/25/2012 1:08 AM
Have they imported a playoff push from hockey?
1/4/2013 7:03 PM
My team, 1966 Windy City Thunderbolts finished the SSSP progressive season with a league best 123-39 record.  We played in the 1st round against the NL East winning Phillies, who had a 76-86 record.   During the regular season we played 18 times - going 16-2 against them in that span.  

The Phillies defeated us in 6 games to advance to the WS.

Believe it of Don't!!
1/21/2013 10:27 PM
I once had a rookie (Jerry Hairston, I think) enter as a defensive replacement. He hit two homers and a double, driving in 9 runs, while only playing two innings.

Believe it or don't!
4/11/2013 1:55 AM
I have an OL team right now that has more runs scored than most of the other teams in the league have base hits (34 games into the season).

Believe that.
4/11/2013 2:08 AM
It was a little easier to believe when I saw the park you are playing in. 

But still, those are amazing numbers. Apropos Bonds, has anyone noticed that players from the steroid era are suddenly normalizing somewhat better lately ? I had a Sammy Sosa and also a Giambi perform very well on teams. Some time ago I remember that they were pretty disappointing to have on teams. 

Has there been some adjustment ?
4/11/2013 4:16 AM
Here is something you don't see every day: the Player of the Game thrown out of the game in the second inning ! 

Dan Meyer hits a three-run home run in the first inning. In the 2nd inning he gets hit with a pitch, charges the mound, leading to both benches emptying in a brawl and Meyer is thrown out of the game by the umps. But his 4 RBI are enough in a winning effort for him to be declared POG. 

Believe it or don't ! 

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=19921292&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=9.95
4/20/2013 5:57 PM
and it was against an owner named ddfdfd. Believe it or click on the link and believe it!
4/20/2013 6:03 PM
Once had a guy hit a ground rule double to LF in Fenway. Yes, I suppose it could have landed down the line and kicked over the fence in foul territory, but I like to think it hopped over the Monster.

believe it or don't
4/23/2013 1:18 AM
Also had Pete Falcone throw a perfect game in game 7 of the 1976 WS in pcimino's progressive (never had a catchy name). That was so long ago, the league has already ran it's course and has been defunct about a year now.

Believe it or don't
4/23/2013 1:22 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...62 Next ▸
Believe It or Don't! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.