2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

I have no idea. But the throw was not heading home. It was a bad throw and tailing right at Schoop, and at the last second he pulled a Matrix and dodged it. It ended up towards the on-deck circle and rattled around the backstop. It was an error on Lough, but Schoop still should have cut it. It was not going anywhere near the plate. Wieters didn't move off the plate to get it because it looked like Schoop was going to take it.
4/20/2014 11:26 PM
It's not his decision to make. If no one calls cut, he has to let it go. That's on Wieters and the bad throw.
4/21/2014 12:33 AM
That's BS. ML players should be able to read a throw. I play beer league softball and even I don't need to be told to cut the ball if it's not going anywhere near it's intended target.
4/21/2014 8:59 AM
It's on Wieters to say cut.  I'm assuming he did if he didn't move after the ball, though.
4/21/2014 9:43 AM
If Weiters didn't say cut, I can understand Schoop thinking "he didn't say cut, he's going to field this ball and run back to tag Pedroia."  

That said, I've seen that guy cut off the ball on his own too.  Often to the detriment of the team.
4/21/2014 9:45 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 4/21/2014 9:00:00 AM (view original):
That's BS. ML players should be able to read a throw. I play beer league softball and even I don't need to be told to cut the ball if it's not going anywhere near it's intended target.
Maybe in beer league softball it isn't considered a big deal when you don't play the game right.  In the Major Leagues it is.  It's ALWAYS the decision of the deeper target whether or not a throw from the outfield should be cut off.
4/21/2014 1:26 PM
Really? So when a throw designated for the plate is tailing towards the on-deck circle, Schoop should just let it go the way he did because Wieters didn't say cut? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Players cut bad throws all the time in the majors, and it's not because the guy behind them yelled "cut". It's because the throw wasn't going anywhere near where it was supposed to.
4/21/2014 7:22 PM
He's only supposed to cut the ball in that situation if Wieters calls for it. He can't see what's happening behind him, there's no way he can make that decision.
4/21/2014 7:24 PM
Why does he need to know what's going on behind him when he can see the ball is headed for the on-deck circle or worse? Wieters is standing on the plate - Schoop knows that much. The ball wasn't going anywhere near home plate. Even Schoop himself said after the game he should have cut that ball, no matter what.
4/21/2014 7:32 PM
I don't care what Schoop said, that isn't his decision to make. Without hearing Wieters say cut, it's his job to let the ball go.
4/21/2014 7:52 PM
What's the highest level ball you ever played Jtp?  That beer league?
4/21/2014 8:34 PM
Dahs, you're a fan of Jeter's "awesome" flip play. He cut that ball without Posada calling for it. So was he playing the game the wrong way? Or did he recognize a ball that wasn't going to reach it's intended target and take it upon himself to correct it?

Because according to you, a player can't use his own instincts. He has to be told what to do at all times.
4/21/2014 9:12 PM
How do you know Posada didn't call for that throw to be cut off?
4/21/2014 9:38 PM
How do you know he did? Your insinuation that professional ballplayers should just be good little boys and stand there till they're told what to do is foolish on so many levels. I guarantee you that Buck would have much preferred Schoop use his instincts and cut that throw last night than watch it sail past him to the backstop and cost his team a game.
4/21/2014 9:54 PM
He probably would have preferred to have the cutoff called for.
4/21/2014 10:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...51|52|53|54|55...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.