2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Would not trade Donaldson if offered machado straight up
7/22/2014 7:50 PM
Rough one last night. But they played well against a great home team in the Angels this series. Gotta get at least 2 from Seattle to make this a good trip.

I feel bad for Tillman...team is 4-5 in his last 9 starts despite him posting 8 QS and an ERA around 2.25
7/24/2014 8:50 AM
I don't think it's a gimme.   Both can become free agents the same year.    Maybe that's about the time Donaldson starts to decline while Machado is peaking.  If I'm the low budge A's, I'd want nothing to do with Machado and FA(assuming he doesn't shitcan his career by acting like a 9 y/o).    So, for me, I'd figure out who was going to be the best player 2015-2018.   That's why I don't think it's a gimme.

The biggest factor, IMO, is who I think Donaldson really is.   Players who "find themselves" in their mid 20s concern me.  I'd have to offset that with Machado's behavior. 

FWIW, I think Donaldson has probably had his best year but I also think Machado is going to be an off-field/clubhouse problem.   Maybe he grows up.  It's just not cut and dry like you implied.
7/24/2014 3:39 PM
Posted by cobra on 7/22/2014 7:50:00 PM (view original):
Would not trade Donaldson if offered machado straight up
Yikes.
7/24/2014 3:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/24/2014 3:39:00 PM (view original):
I don't think it's a gimme.   Both can become free agents the same year.    Maybe that's about the time Donaldson starts to decline while Machado is peaking.  If I'm the low budge A's, I'd want nothing to do with Machado and FA(assuming he doesn't shitcan his career by acting like a 9 y/o).    So, for me, I'd figure out who was going to be the best player 2015-2018.   That's why I don't think it's a gimme.

The biggest factor, IMO, is who I think Donaldson really is.   Players who "find themselves" in their mid 20s concern me.  I'd have to offset that with Machado's behavior. 

FWIW, I think Donaldson has probably had his best year but I also think Machado is going to be an off-field/clubhouse problem.   Maybe he grows up.  It's just not cut and dry like you implied.
I think the biggest factor is the future on field performance. Machado is an above average major leaguer at age 21. The likelihood that he becomes a superstar is high. Donaldson, on the other hand, will likely never be as good as he was last year.

This would be a slam dunk.
7/24/2014 3:47 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/24/2014 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Machado has had exactly 1 incident that resulted in his reputation as an immature player.  He has no other history of on- or off-field behavioral issues.  I don't think it's fair or reasonable to characterize him as an off-field/clubhouse problem on the basis of one case of poor judgement.

What's the stupidest thing you did when you were 21?  I bet it's at least on par with throwing a bat.

I thought it was three.    But, I guess, they were connected.    Fell down when tagged.   I think that hurt his feelings.   Started yapping later.   Probably still embarrassed.    Then slung the bat after being pitched inside.    Maybe he had a couple of bad days.  

Whether it's fair or not, we're talking about paying someone millions of dollars.   It's on his permanent record.

I've long argued that 20ish men with money in their pocket are going to make bad decisions.  20 y/o men, in general, are going to make bad decisions.   But not all of them will be on TV when they do.      

7/24/2014 3:57 PM
It appears it wasn't the yapping for the 2nd part.   He hit the catcher, twice, with his follow thru.     Then slung the bat. 
7/24/2014 4:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...56|57|58|59|60...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.