GD's Guide to the Game Topic

The 2nd half will finish up a little after 2:30 PM eastern time. The first half sims in the middle of the night. Exhibitions are simmed completely in the middle of the night cycle.
10/20/2015 9:10 PM
Thanks.
10/20/2015 10:52 PM
another question - if I want to change my playbook to go exclusively wishbone, how do I do that?
11/10/2015 3:01 PM
I created another playbook with 3 wishbone formations. I am new, so that was my best guess.
11/13/2015 10:13 PM
Guys, move up to d2 as soon as you can and you will have way more options in creating new playbooks and controlling your team with something called Advanced Settings . This is not available in d3.
11/14/2015 6:46 PM
I wish they would turn injuries back on. It added the element of surprise to the game and rewarded those that would keep good depth on their bench.
        Of course the element of surprise('who" gets injured and "for how long") could hurt you big time. I once had my starting qb hurt the day before a big playoff game.
But I still found that added element more fun and more realistic . Heck every football team from Pewee leagues to the NFL deals with injuries.

11/14/2015 6:50 PM
I'm a true newbie to GD. I downloaded yatzer's GD Recruiting tool but there are so many names on there that I can't find by scouting on my own - why is this?
11/16/2015 1:42 AM
If you input scouting parameters in the filters section you can get the names down to a reasonable #.
11/18/2015 12:54 PM
How is it that some recruits at the beginning of recruiting already have teams they are looking at and how do you get your team that kind of advantage?
11/24/2015 1:45 AM
Most of those teams are SIM teams. SIM teams get that advantage but don't let that deter you from recruiting those players. During the season, your Assistant Coach will scout players for you and sometimes those players will already be considering your school before recruiting starts.  Most of those players, however, are not worth recruiting. 
11/27/2015 3:35 AM
So even at D2 you can't get more specific than the slider for 4th down playcalling? I was hoping the advanced options at D2 would give me more control here. Am I missing something? The max aggressive option on the slider still seems borderline brain dead level conservative in certain spots (given the 4th down chart for these slider options in the FAQ). Am I alone in wanting more flexibility here?
12/4/2015 2:16 PM (edited)
How aggressive do you want? Were you wanting to go for it on every 4th down no matter how long the distance to 1st down? So like go for it on 4th and 20 on your own 1 yard line aggressive? 
12/13/2015 10:39 PM
I don't see why that option should not be available, but no I wouldn't want to be that aggressive. That extreme counter example is misrepresenting my position, although I see no reason why a user shouldn't be afforded that option. In an ideal world, I would want detailed options that could be modified based on distance to go, field position, and if possible score and time to go. While that would be fun, really all I'm asking for are more aggressive options on the slider than is allowed below. Below is the outline of the "very aggressive" slider option.

Outside the opp 38, on 4th and 3 or worse, I'm forced to punt. This is a 18-30 yard punt most often. I'm not going to share the math on all the situations here, and I've already shared too much from a competitive strategy standpoint. However, the option should exist for people to be too aggressive, but right now, the most aggressive option is just mathematically dumb in a lot of spots. It seems like the most aggressive option should be too aggressive in some spots and it's definitely too still too conservative. Inside the opponents 40 it's not crazy to consider going for it on 4th and long, and certainly not 4th and manageable like 4th and 5. Another issue is that inside the opp 27, I'm forced to kick a fg on 4th and 3 or worse, sometimes people may want to forgo the fg to try for 7, especially if failing could pin the opponents deep in their own territory.

This is in a vacuum, before adjusting for wanting to be extra aggressive certain spots such as trailing by 14 with 10 minutes left in the 4th. I've probably said too much, but there's a lot of smart and experimental users here and it seems like 4th down strategy is something coaches would want the option to tweak. At worst throwing a couple more aggressive options on the slider probably would be a huge upgrade. Heck, if I had to choose between go for it all the time versus the current very aggressive option, I'd have to at least think about it in certain matchups.

I certainly can't speak for the programming effort involved but even taking the existing options and just shifting the 4th and x to 4th and x+4, or moving the yardage break points back 15 yards would be welcomed as a great improvement.

Thanks for listening and your consideration. If there's a more relevant thread to post a request for model change, let me know. I just posted here to see if I was just overlooking an option somewhere since I'm relatively new and the conservatism here is startling. I can't imagine I'm the first to want to be more aggressive on 4th down than what is offered.

Very Aggressive
4th and 1 OWN 41 - OPP 1
4th and 2 OPP 42 - OPP 24, OPP 14 - OPP 1
4th and 3 OPP 38 - OPP 27
4th and 4 OPP 35 - OPP 29
4th and 5 OPP 34 - OPP 30
12/15/2015 10:50 AM (edited)
Question, once my recruits have accepted my scholly offer and signed, does that mean they're automatically added to my roster? I go to my roster and I can't see them on there and the recruits don't show up on my depth chart. I want to get an exhibition game in but I don't want the recruits to miss out.
1/4/2016 7:06 PM
If you want the recruits to play, schedule your games the last 3 days before actual play begins.  Your recruits only show up after the signing period has ended, and they will only be able to play 2 games because of the way scheduling works.  They will show up at midnight before the 2nd game, so if you want them to play a lot you need to adjust your depth chart between midnight and 2:30 am
1/7/2016 10:58 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11|12 Next ▸
GD's Guide to the Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.