How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

All depends on how you read it I suppose.  Do ALL opinions have to contain the words "I believe" or "it's my belief" or some variation containing the word "belief" or can it not be that that is implied?  If I say "Man, Michael Jordan is the best basketball player ever", you're telling me that doesn't constitute me stating my opinion?  There's no way to PROVE that he's the best ever since there are many different methods people use to determine who THEY think are the best.  Sure, I guess if you want to get really technical, you could say that statement wasn't in the "form" of an opinion since it didn't have the word "belief" or "opinion", but anyone with any kind of, you know, common sense at all, knows that it's an opinionated statement.

Since it can't be proved definitively that OR is the best ever as is my belief (since different people have different standards that they use to define "best" and before you say that I have claimed that championships are how the best ever is defined, realize that is how I define the best ever.  Other people may have other sets of standards that they use.  I say that because I'm sure someone will go back and say just that, that they don't use titles to determine who they think is the best, they use some other metric, just to be contrary), I guess that would qualify as an opinion.  Again, if it's not an opinion, then what is it?  A fact?  And if it IS a fact, why all the uproar, just me stating a fact, that's all.

To the second part, Gill made the statement that Jones should be competing for that best ever spot at which point I stated my "opinion" (whether you think it was or not) that OR would always be the best ever.  So I wasn't coming out of the blue "trying to start an argument" or "being ignorant" as you so nicely stated, I was simplying responding to Gill's statement by offering my opinion that OR would always be the best. 

Nowhere in that statement does he use the word "believes", nowhere.  Yet, that's what you're implying he meant.  So what, it's okay to imply things when it suits you, but not okay for others when it's contrary to your position (read that several times if you need to)?  Once again, it boils down to common sense.  I know what Gill meant when he wrote that, just as you know what I meant with my statement.  My opinion.  Is it that hard to understand?  Is it really that hard to admit that the "best ever" comment HAD been made?  ****, if I didn't know better, I'd swear you were Etta in disguise.

We can go back and forth with this all day, but you know that statement was meant as an opinion.  Hell, anyone with ANY common sense knows that.  Now it's you that are nitpicking and trying to get an argument started.  You hooked me into writing this much, but the hook has been spit out.  I've made my point, I see no reason to continue this. 

One last thing, common sense is AWESOME!!  You should try going and buying some somewhere, it'll help you out immensely in life.  Book smart as hell and not a lick of common sense, we used to say that at work about certain white collar criminals.  They had a real hard time adjusting once they were out of their little fantasy worlds and had to deal with reality.  Now THAT, that is a fact.  Bye bye.
8/19/2014 5:31 PM (edited)
TL/DR

Emy doesn't care what anyone thinks, which is why he writes 500 word essays defending himself.
8/19/2014 5:36 PM
Pile on Emy day, I love it.  Too long, so you didn't read, yet you bothered to comment (and it's actually much closer to 600 words than 500).  Just trying to get in a shot when you can, huh?  Typical of someone like you.

See unlike all you working schmoes, Emy is retired now, drawing his nice pension check, and really doesn't have a whole lot better to do at this moment.  Basically just killing time and letting people like you, Gill, and Car use me as a punching bag to make themselves feel somehow superior.

So while all you working stiffs bust your *** for the next 20-30-40 years just trying to get by, I'll be kicked back relaxing, doing whatever I so please.  Have fun answering to a boss, HA HA!!  Sorry for rubbing it in, bye bye.
8/19/2014 6:22 PM (edited)
Posted by emy1013 on 8/19/2014 3:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 8/19/2014 7:56:00 AM (view original):
Well, first of all emy, you didn't offer your opinion at all. You stated "Oldresorter will always be the best ever" in a thread where no one had brought up the best coach ever topic and one that was about the merits of another great coach entirely. You were either being ignorant or trying to start yet another argument.
everyone knows emy dislikes me... but its not as well known that his dislike for me is nothing compared to his resentment of jonesy. he can't stand the prospect of jonesy being considered the best coach in the game, and me making the comment probably made him dislike it all the more. hes just reacting to that. his opinion on who the best coach in the game is (like many other things) tends to vary with what is most convenient to him at the time, which isn't altogether unreasonable... but he will almost always paint that opinion as near fact, even if he just switched to that opinion that very day - which to me, is pretty unreasonable. but anyway, the point is stating something the way he did, that is just how he states an opinion, its just easier if we all take it that way :) its when he actually states something as opinion that you have to be careful, because generally then its half BS, and he will defend it all the more vigorously as a result.
You're right, It's no secret that I don't care much for you, sorry if it hurts your feelings that you're not universally loved.  It's also no secret, except maybe too you apparently, that I certainly respect what both you and Aejones have accomplished in this game.

I had written out a fairly long post in response to Dahsdebater's question of "what about Lostmyth" (which I guess I should have posted)?  In that response, I stated that I thought both you and Aejones were on the Mount Rushmore of HD coaches (the four best ever, along with OR and Rails).  So to your remark that I "can't stand the prospect of Jonesy being considered the best coach in the game", the fact is that I already DO consider him one of the best ever.  You don't have to like someone to respect what they've accomplished.  So, please, don't try to tell me what I can and can't stand,  you don't have the slightest clue.

As far as your BS psychobabble amateur psychiatrist crap, well there's nothing worse than an amateur shrink.  So let me ask you this Dr. Phil, what is the ultimate goal of this game?  Right, to win championships.  And who has won the most championships ever?  Right, Oldresorter.  THAT is an indisputable fact, not my "opinion".  Think you can figure out now why I think Oldresorter is the best to ever play this game?  But since my opinion on that "tends to vary with what is convenient to me at the time", I'm sure you'll be able to pull up MANY examples where I've stated that someone besides Oldresorter was the best ever.  Go ahead, I'll wait. 
Curious to see CBG's response and didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.
8/19/2014 6:13 PM
it's funny how all his posts are edited afterwards to correct the rage mistakes
8/19/2014 6:35 PM

Couldn't resist reading your drivel even though I've got you blocked Belieber.  Heh, rage mistakes.  From the kid who posted earlier that "was the last straw".  Ha ha, too funny.

Hmmm, Gill's post is edited, Car's post is edited, yet no mention of those, wonder why?  By the way, in case you're too slow to pick up on it, this was "edited" just for your sake.  Where's Justin's next concert Belieber?

8/19/2014 7:06 PM (edited)
Posted by pinkeye on 8/19/2014 6:35:00 PM (view original):
it's funny how all his posts are edited afterwards to correct the rage mistakes
He posted a two sentence response to me 5 minutes or so after I posted, then he must have spent 40 minutes adding a bunch of drivel to it.
8/19/2014 7:45 PM
That the best you can do?  Really?
8/19/2014 7:49 PM
You're the absolute worst kind of troll there is.  Add nothing to the conversation, just try to get in your not-so-clever drive by cheap shots.  Kind of remind me of a peter gnat.
8/19/2014 7:53 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 8/19/2014 7:06:00 PM (view original):

Couldn't resist reading your drivel even though I've got you blocked Belieber.  Heh, rage mistakes.  From the kid who posted earlier that "was the last straw".  Ha ha, too funny.

Hmmm, Gill's post is edited, Car's post is edited, yet no mention of those, wonder why?  By the way, in case you're too slow to pick up on it, this was "edited" just for your sake.  Where's Justin's next concert Belieber?

The last "straw man" actually. I got jokez
8/19/2014 8:30 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 8/19/2014 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 8/19/2014 3:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2014 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by car_crazy_v2 on 8/19/2014 7:56:00 AM (view original):
Well, first of all emy, you didn't offer your opinion at all. You stated "Oldresorter will always be the best ever" in a thread where no one had brought up the best coach ever topic and one that was about the merits of another great coach entirely. You were either being ignorant or trying to start yet another argument.
everyone knows emy dislikes me... but its not as well known that his dislike for me is nothing compared to his resentment of jonesy. he can't stand the prospect of jonesy being considered the best coach in the game, and me making the comment probably made him dislike it all the more. hes just reacting to that. his opinion on who the best coach in the game is (like many other things) tends to vary with what is most convenient to him at the time, which isn't altogether unreasonable... but he will almost always paint that opinion as near fact, even if he just switched to that opinion that very day - which to me, is pretty unreasonable. but anyway, the point is stating something the way he did, that is just how he states an opinion, its just easier if we all take it that way :) its when he actually states something as opinion that you have to be careful, because generally then its half BS, and he will defend it all the more vigorously as a result.
You're right, It's no secret that I don't care much for you, sorry if it hurts your feelings that you're not universally loved.  It's also no secret, except maybe too you apparently, that I certainly respect what both you and Aejones have accomplished in this game.

I had written out a fairly long post in response to Dahsdebater's question of "what about Lostmyth" (which I guess I should have posted)?  In that response, I stated that I thought both you and Aejones were on the Mount Rushmore of HD coaches (the four best ever, along with OR and Rails).  So to your remark that I "can't stand the prospect of Jonesy being considered the best coach in the game", the fact is that I already DO consider him one of the best ever.  You don't have to like someone to respect what they've accomplished.  So, please, don't try to tell me what I can and can't stand,  you don't have the slightest clue.

As far as your BS psychobabble amateur psychiatrist crap, well there's nothing worse than an amateur shrink.  So let me ask you this Dr. Phil, what is the ultimate goal of this game?  Right, to win championships.  And who has won the most championships ever?  Right, Oldresorter.  THAT is an indisputable fact, not my "opinion".  Think you can figure out now why I think Oldresorter is the best to ever play this game?  But since my opinion on that "tends to vary with what is convenient to me at the time", I'm sure you'll be able to pull up MANY examples where I've stated that someone besides Oldresorter was the best ever.  Go ahead, I'll wait. 
Curious to see CBG's response and didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle.
i did see this the first time around - i was just giving you a hard time, and when i saw you were already at the page-long rant stage just a couple posts later, i figured enough was enough.

i'm not mincing your words here - when i say you can't stand the prospect of jonesy being the best, i don't mean you literally would explode should it happen. i mean it gets to you. you've made your feelings about him pretty clear, its safe to say you sure aren't rooting for him. respecting his accomplishments in no way invalidates that, or anything i said.

you've proclaimed lostmyth as the clear #1 in the past. you know it and i know it, im not going to waste time hunting for a quote (it was a while ago, you've been consistently for OR for some time now, the part about your opinion tending to vary by convenience - its spot on - but this really is not a good example - again, just was giving you a hard time). i do find it interesting however, that you just wrote this long post about your opinion on the greatest coaches, and somehow come up with a four best ever list that contains 5 coaches? unless you are intentionally excluding lostmyth, which would be odd, given hes #2 on championships and you define your best ever metric quite clearly (and you've touted him as one of the best for years). i suppose im a bit skeptical you'd spend all that time writing a post and decide it wasn't worth posting, in and of itself. but to have just spent all that time discussing the best ever including enumerating the best 4 coaches, and somehow getting to 5 coaches in your follow up post... yeah, not buying it. how is that for "BS psychobabble amateur psychiatrist crap"?
8/19/2014 8:47 PM
it kind of makes you wonder how screwed up etta must have been to cause emy and i to agree so profusely on something... :)

and for the record emy, no it doesn't make me sad or whatever you called it, that "not everyone likes me". i actually enjoy our *** for tats, even though it can sometimes get annoying. its what is similar about us that makes us not get along, the way i see it. we are different in most ways, no problems there - its the arrogant ***** part of each of us that clashes. i cant be too upset at you for being an arrogant ***** when i am, too. i just content myself with the belief that you are at least 1% more arrogant ***** than me ;)
8/19/2014 8:58 PM (edited)

There are not five coaches included there are four because I don't consider Lostmyth one of the Mount Rushmore of coaches anymore.  Not sure how you came up with five since I clearly did NOT mention Lostmyth's name at all.  OR, CBG, Rails, Jones, that's four by my count.  Used to include LM, sure, but that was before he was surpassed in my book by both you and Jones.  Lostmyth may be number two all-time in titles, not something I was aware of.  Thought he had quit the game when his title count was somewhere in the teens.  Now that I've been made aware, it still doesn't change MY personal rankings.  I think that if the five of you were to play a round robin that he'd end up fifth, no harm in that, someone has to finish last and that is one helluva group of coaches.  The reason I didn't post the message that I was talking about earlier was because it got pretty nasty, petty, and personal towards the end of it and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it wasn't worth it.

You must remember a whole lot better about what I think and thought than I do because I don't remember espousing Lostmyth as the best ever.  I clearly remember stating that I thought he was among the best ever, but I've backed OR for as long as I can recall.

One other thing, I hate to break it to you and Pinkeye, but it doesn't "get to me" and I'm not "jelly" about what someone accomplishes on an internet basketball simulation.  It's actually a little disconcerting that someone would think that anyone got jealous or that it bothered them about what someone else has done.  It's an  internet basketball game for goodness sake.  It is my "opinion" that OR is the best HD coach ever.  If he gets passed in titles eventually, then maybe I'll switch my opinion and move on to the next coach (even if I did say OR would always be the best.  "Always" is an awfully long time and someone is bound to pass him sooner or later, as long as the game doesn't fold).  Would it "get to me" if Jones passed OR?  Nope, not a bit.  Would I be "jelly" as the Belieber says?  Not in the least.  Do I like Jones?  Nope, not at all.  Seen too much of his BS on Youtube to think he's anything more than an arrogant attention whore (and if you haven't seen any of it, grab a washcloth and get ready to throw up just a little).  But would I lose any sleep if he ended up number one on the all-time titles list?  Not a second.  The opinion that I gave that OR will always be the best was mainly just a conversation starter and boy did it start a conversation.    Didn't realize how many people Jones had hanging from his nuts.  By the way, of course I'm not rooting for him, I'm rooting for me.  Aren't you rooting for yourself?  I know you made a pretty big deal on your Coaches Corner way back when after you passed me for the all-time lead in D2 NT wins.  So what active player wouldn't be rooting for themselves and rooting against a rival?

Would still like some examples of my opinion varying by convenience.  Not saying that it didn't happen, but I'd be interested to see what the topic was and what my responses were in that context.  Since it's spot on, it shouldn't be that hard to find examples. 

Have a nice rest of the evening.

8/19/2014 9:29 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2014 8:58:00 PM (view original):
it kind of makes you wonder how screwed up etta must have been to cause emy and i to agree so profusely on something... :)

and for the record emy, no it doesn't make me sad or whatever you called it, that "not everyone likes me". i actually enjoy our *** for tats, even though it can sometimes get annoying. its what is similar about us that makes us not get along, the way i see it. we are different in most ways, no problems there - its the arrogant ***** part of each of us that clashes. i cant be too upset at you for being an arrogant ***** when i am, too. i just content myself with the belief that you are at least 1% more arrogant ***** than me ;)
Oh there's no doubt that I can be an arrogant *****.  When I'm on my A game, I can hang with the best of them (pun intended). 

Etta, man that guy was unique.  One of a kind.  Without a doubt, the most out of touch with reality person I've ever had the displeasure of crossing paths with.  Hope I never meet anyone like him ever again in my life, online or in person.  It would take every bit of my willpower not to just throttle.......errr, never mind.
8/19/2014 9:32 PM (edited)
you are still trying to pigeon hole and misdirect with the whole best ever thing... which, admittedly, is much better than straw manning. its obvious jonesy and his success bugs you at least a little, its not really at all about who is the best coach ever. i know it bugs you because one time after congratulating him on a championship on the MIAIA cc, saying something like he really is one of the best ever, you made a decently long post going something like, really? you think he is one of the best? but hes so arrogant and conceited etc etc... ending with something to the effect of, you will never consider him one of the best (or maybe it was that you certainly didn't now?). and then you come to this thread and make that post like yeah we will all be so excited to hear of that d1 title (sarcasm) and whatever else. not that i disagree with where you were coming from... but come on. its not like i'm saying his success is ruining your life and you will commit suicide if he ever passes OR in titles... just that you can hear your discontent with jones in your posts here. im pretty sure everyone else can hear it, too. 

id settle for, it didn't explicitly fuel your posts but your dislike for jones minimally worked its way into your tone subconsciously =)

8/19/2014 9:40 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...27 Next ▸
How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.