How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

My discontent with Jones does not stem from his success at this game, it stems from the way that he carries himself.  With his personality.  How you are failing to see how arrogant and condescending this guy is simply baffles me.  You say that the two of us are arrogant pricks, well this guy makes us look like less than amateurs.

What do you think this thread is REALLY about?  You think it's REALLY about helping other coaches out or do you think that deep down it's a "look at me, look at me" thread.  You should be smart enough to figure that out since every time he wins a title he bumps the thread and announces what number he's on.  If it "wasn't" a "Look at me" thread, there'd be no need for that.  Sure there's some helpful info at the start of the thread, there's also some very condescending commentary at the start that is tried to be played off as a joke but is obviously serious once you learn just a little bit about the guy.

When you get some free time, waste it on Youtube like I suggested.  Search his name and just listen to the arrogant, snarky, I'm better than you way he speaks about people.  Google his name and read some of the articles about him and see how "wonderful" of a guy he really is.  Just because he's semi-famous doesn't automatically make him exempt from criticism. 
8/19/2014 9:47 PM (edited)
who said i dont see it? it just doesn't mean i don't like him. i grew up in new jersey, everyone in new jersey is an *******, or whatever term you'd like to use. unless you plan on never having a single friend, you can't really not like people "just" because they are an ******* :) on the other hand, my opinion wasn't really the topic here, yes hes condescending, yes i like him anyway - but how is that relevant? 

anyway, i think at this point we'd just be arguing semantics. and by the way, the reason i remember your lostmyth comment - its because his d3/d2 escapades were unknown to me, and at one point a few years ago, i made a point to ask you about them, prompted by some comments you had made on the general topic of lostmyth dominating. really, i can't remember the details anymore, but what i know or once knew about his d2/d3 career came pretty much completely from that conversation with you (combined with a couple things i noticed on the dynasty lists). so, thats why i remember. the careers of HD greats has always interested me, i'd never had played so seriously if OR and rails weren't in the middle of their by far best of all time dynasty runs in tark when i started (i mean by far the best at the time, now there are others in the mix but those seemed way ahead of the pack at the time). 
8/19/2014 10:57 PM
it amazes me how many coaches have won so many titles these days. other guys not mentioned here like girt, acn, oldman, and at least one other dude i won't name here have resumes that at least have to be considered in any best ever list. theres a ton of other guys who have insanely good resumes with like 10 or 15 titles or something crazy, can't even keep up anymore it seems :O that list of chapels is pretty cool.

edit: or maybe i mean oldman_sons.. or maybe both. sorry, never played with those guys, hard to keep them straight when both are relatively new to me and both super successful. dont they have a third shared account that has like 10-15 titles too? so crazy, those guys definitely have to be considered. if you didn't see that one d1 run one of them just pulled off, you should, could be the best run ever anywhere - seemed like it on paper to me. now i feel terrible not even knowing which, i am just still trying to get over there being a father son duo who might have OR and maj on titles and me just finding out about it (like a year ago).
8/19/2014 11:19 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2014 10:57:00 PM (view original):
who said i dont see it? it just doesn't mean i don't like him. i grew up in new jersey, everyone in new jersey is an *******, or whatever term you'd like to use. unless you plan on never having a single friend, you can't really not like people "just" because they are an ******* :) on the other hand, my opinion wasn't really the topic here, yes hes condescending, yes i like him anyway - but how is that relevant? 

anyway, i think at this point we'd just be arguing semantics. and by the way, the reason i remember your lostmyth comment - its because his d3/d2 escapades were unknown to me, and at one point a few years ago, i made a point to ask you about them, prompted by some comments you had made on the general topic of lostmyth dominating. really, i can't remember the details anymore, but what i know or once knew about his d2/d3 career came pretty much completely from that conversation with you (combined with a couple things i noticed on the dynasty lists). so, thats why i remember. the careers of HD greats has always interested me, i'd never had played so seriously if OR and rails weren't in the middle of their by far best of all time dynasty runs in tark when i started (i mean by far the best at the time, now there are others in the mix but those seemed way ahead of the pack at the time). 
We're not all ********....only most of us.
8/20/2014 12:27 AM
That's probably why I didn't realize how many titles LM had when he quit, I think he was in different worlds than I was while he was playing.  Any reason why there's one guy you won't mention here, you mentioned everyone else (unless it was Oldman that you were referring to)?  Not sure about any shared resumes with him, I think there's an Oldman and an Oldman_sons who would obviously be the same, but I'm not familiar with a third ID.  I agree that all of the guys you mentioned are top notch coaches, all-timers if you will, but I think they still fall short when it comes to discussing best ever.  Top ten maybe, I suppose.  Now THAT would be an interesting debate, especially when you get down to like 7-10.  Would like to see a poll where coaches vote for their all-time "conference", conference being the twelve coaches they think are the best.  I don't think you can do that the way WiS has the polls set up here, I think you're limited to just one choice when you vote.  Would still be very, very interesting.  I guess you'd have to have two different polls, one for any coach who has ever played and one for active coaches only, in the interest of fairness.

Never lived in NJ, but I've lived in Indiana, North Carolina, Maryland, Tennessee, Kentucky and two years in Germany, met boatloads of people and have many, many friends who weren't ********, sorry you haven't been as fortunate.  Sincerely.   

You're right, probably just arguing (though I think of it more has a healthy debate than an argument) semantics, so it's probably time that we quit for now.  No doubt there'll be something else soon enough for us to get into about, ha ha!!  Besides, everyone is probably tired of reading all the back and forth at this point.  Still interested in the "un-named" coach though (if it wasn't Oldman).  If it wasn't him, I think I've got a pretty good idea who it might be.  I'm not going to hazard a guess though, so if you wish for that person to stay anonymous, then I guess they will.  One last thing, you've just GOT to quit editing your posts or you'll be accused of doing it to remove all the rage comments and be accused of spending like 40 minutes coming up with the drivel you write.  Good night.
8/20/2014 12:37 AM
Posted by scaturo on 8/20/2014 12:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2014 10:57:00 PM (view original):

We're not all ********....only most of us.
Best response in a good, long while!  You win this thread.
8/20/2014 12:39 AM
i just meant in new jersey... not everyone in general!
8/20/2014 1:06 AM (edited)
Hey, I'm from New Jersey!
8/20/2014 1:53 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2014 11:19:00 PM (view original):
it amazes me how many coaches have won so many titles these days. other guys not mentioned here like girt, acn, oldman, and at least one other dude i won't name here have resumes that at least have to be considered in any best ever list. theres a ton of other guys who have insanely good resumes with like 10 or 15 titles or something crazy, can't even keep up anymore it seems :O that list of chapels is pretty cool.

edit: or maybe i mean oldman_sons.. or maybe both. sorry, never played with those guys, hard to keep them straight when both are relatively new to me and both super successful. dont they have a third shared account that has like 10-15 titles too? so crazy, those guys definitely have to be considered. if you didn't see that one d1 run one of them just pulled off, you should, could be the best run ever anywhere - seemed like it on paper to me. now i feel terrible not even knowing which, i am just still trying to get over there being a father son duo who might have OR and maj on titles and me just finding out about it (like a year ago).
Gil - I think you were talking about this run at Michigan St in Crum:

66 oldman 35-0 8-0 18-0 9-0 16-0 1 1 9 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion
65 oldman 32-3 9-0 14-3 9-0 13-3 1 3 22 A+ CT Champion
National Champion
64 oldman 32-3 10-0 14-2 8-1 15-1 1 2 13 A+ Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
National Champion
63 oldman 32-2 9-0 16-1 7-1 15-1 3 2 12 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Final Four)
62 oldman 35-0 10-0 16-0 9-0 16-0 1 1 15 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion
61 oldman 33-2 14-0 10-2 9-0 15-1 1 5 43 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion

And thank you for the mention, but I would definitely agree with emy's assessment; there is definitely a line of coaches above me; there are some mentioned here, there are some others who rarely get mentioned (kelby immediately comes to mind there).
8/20/2014 7:07 AM
yeah. that is the one for sure, 5 in 6 years at d1, thats just ridiculous :O
8/20/2014 11:02 AM
199-10 record in a 6 year period! Thats a .952 win %
8/20/2014 2:54 PM
He should've been fired after Season 63.
8/20/2014 3:14 PM
No kidding, what the hell happened that year?  Only a Final Four, what a letdown!!  (In case someone's sarcasm meter isn't turned on, that was).

I had a 7 season stretch in Crum at D2 Wilmington under my other ID that ended up 221-10 (.9567%), slightly better winning percentage (by the slimmest of margins, one more loss by my teams would have brought me down to .952%, spooky that it could be that close after that many games) but with only two titles and one other Final Four season, my stretch is nowhere near comparable to his (not to mention the HUGE difference between doing that in D2 and doing that in a BCS conference).  It was nice to win all those games (and granted most of them were against Sim teams, another major point in Oldman's favor), but to not be able to close the deal five of those seven times really made it feel like a lot of huge wasted opportunities.  His six year stretch would have to represent one of, maybe not THE but very possibly, the best stretches in HD history.  Pretty damn amazing!
8/20/2014 4:31 PM (edited)
Posted by acn24 on 8/20/2014 7:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/19/2014 11:19:00 PM (view original):

Gil - I think you were talking about this run at Michigan St in Crum:

66 oldman 35-0 8-0 18-0 9-0 16-0 1 1 9 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion
65 oldman 32-3 9-0 14-3 9-0 13-3 1 3 22 A+ CT Champion
National Champion
64 oldman 32-3 10-0 14-2 8-1 15-1 1 2 13 A+ Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
National Champion
63 oldman 32-2 9-0 16-1 7-1 15-1 3 2 12 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Final Four)
62 oldman 35-0 10-0 16-0 9-0 16-0 1 1 15 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion
61 oldman 33-2 14-0 10-2 9-0 15-1 1 5 43 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion

And thank you for the mention, but I would definitely agree with emy's assessment; there is definitely a line of coaches above me; there are some mentioned here, there are some others who rarely get mentioned (kelby immediately comes to mind there).
Acn, please understand that I meant no disrespect to any of your accomplishments at this game.  As I said earlier, you're an all-timer in my book, very arguably and very probably, top ten.  It's just that, to me, I feel that there is a very, very small, select group that has separated themselves from everyone else.  No offense meant, hope there wasn't any taken.
8/20/2014 4:29 PM
Emy - absolutely no offense taken, I was agreeing with you; even at the top level there are definitely additional sub levels. I know you've mentioned a great deal of respect for what I've done in the game before, I certainly don't take it as an insult that you think there are better coaches than me, I think there are better coaches than me.
8/20/2014 5:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...27 Next ▸
How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.