How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

Posted by skinndogg on 4/12/2016 12:30:00 PM (view original):

" When I do get an email indicating that the player is done improving in that skill, I will typically put between 0-3 minutes in to keep up the skill a little bit, although not much is needed if he is getting a lot of playing time and his work ethic is high."

I would like to comment on this. Is this outdated? Seems like I remember reading to keep Practice Time for capped ratings on 7-8, and 4-5 on LP and Per.

Is 0-3 minutes possible without losing any ratings?

When I get the "tapped out" email, I always change to zero mins for the capped rating. I never lose more than a point from that point forward, and often lose nothing.
4/21/2016 4:36 PM
me too
4/24/2016 3:43 PM
Funny story. When aejones first came into the league, or at least into his first couple of years, I went and poked fun a bit about his low offensive ratings in the coaches corner. We happened to be in the same conference. Although, at the time the comment was meant to be good natured, 25+ championships later, it has me reaching for a piece of that humble pie.
4/25/2016 2:57 PM
After a player has reached his potential, I put that area at three (3) and never lost any rating in that area. That has been my experience.
5/11/2016 12:37 PM
It also depends on the Work Ethic (WE) rating to some extent.
5/11/2016 12:38 PM
here's the way to think of it - your rate of increase functions on a curve. the closer you get to the cap, the slower the rate of increase. WE and playing time factor in - we all know this, this is well understood. well, the rate of decrease functions on the *exact same curve*. so, when you are looking at a situation where 20m would net you 2 points - say, when you are 5-6 points out - then 0m is going to net you maybe -0.5 points or something. if you are 50 points out, and 20 points might net you +22, then 0 might cost you 5 or whatever. its the same curve.

its technically true, when admin says, the figure guaranteed not to drop you is 7m or 3m at lp/per. but, that is GUARANTEED not to drop you - meaning, at 1 work ethic, with 0mpg, that is what will not drop you. but, for most players, that number is lower. and when you are near maxed, even if you are dropping, if its so slow you'll never notice - then who cares? i will often 0 out low areas, even with like 5 points of growth, when they are off-cores, to get more time for cores for youngsters. its all about risk/reward. you risk little, and the extra 7 minutes in some high potential cores, is worth a good bit. so, i don't think this conversation is just about maxed categories - where 0ing is a no-brainer unless you have nothing worth practicing - but its also about low categories in general, where its often worth 0ing out to spend minutes in some category where you are still in the rapid growth part of the curve.
5/16/2016 7:41 PM
How much better is a 25 WE than a 15 WE?
5/23/2016 10:25 AM
trentonjoe is the master of the work ethic discussion...
5/28/2016 4:26 PM
How much better is a 25 WE than a 15 WE? sorry for asking the same question again, just wanted people to see there was a new post
5/30/2016 1:26 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 5/30/2016 1:26:00 PM (view original):
How much better is a 25 WE than a 15 WE? sorry for asking the same question again, just wanted people to see there was a new post
This is a hard question to answer. There are levels where I'll entertain a 15 we if his starting values are high and I can afford to start him several years. In most situations avoid those4 year guys like the plague. They'll improve and regress in the offseason. You might get 1.75-2 yrs of avg improving with 15 we whereas you get closer to 3 yrs of avg improving with 25 we guys.
5/30/2016 4:55 PM
13-15 WE is the lowest I'll go and thats only if I can afford to start them 4 seasons and not expecting to finish develop their lp/per if its blue and high+

heck even sub 30 guys won't max lp/per if it is really low startin values and they don't get 3+ years starting.
6/4/2016 11:04 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 5/23/2016 10:25:00 AM (view original):
How much better is a 25 WE than a 15 WE?
A lot. A player with 15 WE will get you 4-6 points at 20 minutes if they're blue there, at 25 it's closer to 10. Also, if you start the guy every game, 15 gets you 4 or 5 (I forget exactly) but 25 will get you 6 or 7, then next season is something like a 19 WE vs a 32. It compounds.

This guy grew 11 points in passing at a 26:

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3352586

This guy only grew 6 in his best scores at a 14 (FR year):

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/RatingsHistory.aspx?tid=7502&pid=3238193
6/5/2016 6:09 PM (edited)
Posted by taniajane on 2/2/2016 1:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ukula on 2/2/2016 12:50:00 AM (view original):
Google aejones draftkings and you'll understand why he left
dang thats the same guy?
Confirmed same guy.

Kinda funny, at the NBA Live Final for Draft Kings a few months ago someone approached me specifically to talk about HD.

I haven't logged in to HD for several months and have nearly forgotten about it at this point.. it's pretty insane to think back about how much it used to consume me, waking up at 5am for the cycle, using my phone during social events, etc. I guess that part of my life has been filled by DFS, like a drug. I'm a little more free this month until I go play a few weeks of poker but I know that starting a team would just lead to me quitting by NFL season. I can't believe how long it's been since I stopped playing!

It's cool that this is finally pinned and I hope most of it is still relevant. Also hope the new engine is fun, this platform is a enjoyable even if the execution is mediocre.

Finally, **** this guy! https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=486722

6/6/2016 11:15 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 4/12/2016 12:30:00 PM (view original):

" When I do get an email indicating that the player is done improving in that skill, I will typically put between 0-3 minutes in to keep up the skill a little bit, although not much is needed if he is getting a lot of playing time and his work ethic is high."

I would like to comment on this. Is this outdated? Seems like I remember reading to keep Practice Time for capped ratings on 7-8, and 4-5 on LP and Per.

Is 0-3 minutes possible without losing any ratings?

Yes, it was outdated when I was still playing so it's quite outdated now
6/6/2016 11:16 PM
Posted by aejones on 6/6/2016 11:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 2/2/2016 1:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ukula on 2/2/2016 12:50:00 AM (view original):
Google aejones draftkings and you'll understand why he left
dang thats the same guy?
Confirmed same guy.

Kinda funny, at the NBA Live Final for Draft Kings a few months ago someone approached me specifically to talk about HD.

I haven't logged in to HD for several months and have nearly forgotten about it at this point.. it's pretty insane to think back about how much it used to consume me, waking up at 5am for the cycle, using my phone during social events, etc. I guess that part of my life has been filled by DFS, like a drug. I'm a little more free this month until I go play a few weeks of poker but I know that starting a team would just lead to me quitting by NFL season. I can't believe how long it's been since I stopped playing!

It's cool that this is finally pinned and I hope most of it is still relevant. Also hope the new engine is fun, this platform is a enjoyable even if the execution is mediocre.

Finally, **** this guy! https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=486722

Hey, Jonesy :)

I'd forgotten about that other thread and that it was your impetus for leaving - maybe in light of how things turned out (you turning to draft kings for your new fix and winning a ton of cash) you should thank the guy instead :)

Congrats btw, good hearing from ya.
6/8/2016 4:38 AM
◂ Prev 1...23|24|25|26|27 Next ▸
How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.