All Forums > General Discussion > Non-Sports > so you like Obamacare ?
8/4/2012 12:39 PM
So Obamacare is still being presented by the left as an Amazing accomplishment. Why?

Did it eliminate the 40 million people without health care? No.

Does it lower health costs? No.

Does it create an enviroment for the future of health care? No.

So for about $1 Billion it lets 26 year olds stay on their parents plan, not a bad thing, and it eliminated pre existing conditions, again not a bad thing.

Amazing is my thought too!
2/21/2013 10:22 PM
A must read.  This explains the real problem with healthcare in the United States, which Obamacare FAILS to even attempt to address.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/20/bitter-pill-why-medical-bills-are-killing-us/

"Yet there is little in Obamacare that addresses that core issue or jeopardizes the paydays of those thriving in that marketplace. In fact, by bringing so many new customers into that market by mandating that they get health insurance and then providing taxpayer support to pay their insurance premiums, Obamacare enriches them. That, of course, is why the bill was able to get through Congress."
2/22/2013 1:02 AM
I agree, that's a problem. But it isn't really something brought on by obamacare. It's a systematic issue that's been around a long time. Obamacare makes a bad situation a little better by eliminating pretty-existing condition exclusions and requiring that everyone have health insurance. Like you said regarding assault weapons, incremental change.
2/22/2013 7:04 AM
Is there an industry where the consumer determines the cost of the service/product when they purchase it?    Seems to me that the market determines the price.    I know I set my own rates.   More than once a potential customer has said "Ohhh, that's too much.  Can you do it for less?"    At that point, I decide to cut my rate or not.  If not, the customer then decides to accept my rate or seek a better one.   It's kind of how our economy works.   Why should the medical field be different?

Of course, an alternative is to make all medical personnel government employees.   The government sets their paygrade and provides medical attention to anyone who seeks it.   No health insurance just proof of citizenship.    I'd much prefer that over Obamacare.  
2/22/2013 7:29 AM
I don't believe patients are given price lists at the hospital when they are brought in for treatment, so that they can pick and choose what they want done.

"The family’s first bill — for $348,000 — which arrived when Steven got home from the Seton Medical Center in Daly City, Calif., was full of all the usual chargemaster profit grabs: $18 each for 88 diabetes-test strips that Amazon sells in boxes of 50 for $27.85; $24 each for 19 niacin pills that are sold in drugstores for about a nickel apiece. There were also four boxes of sterile gauze pads for $77 each."
2/22/2013 8:11 AM
Perhaps they should be.   I believe that's been brought up before.

Either the consumer makes the decision or the government controls it.   If the government is going to control rates for private companies, let them control everything(thus eliminating "private" from the equation). 
2/22/2013 8:31 AM
If somebody is brought into the hospital either unconscious or under duress due do an acute medical emergency, is that person really in a position to make rational, informed and immediate decisions about which price-gouged treatments, supplies and equipment should or should not be used to address their immediate needs?
2/22/2013 8:38 AM
They are not.   Do you want the government to control the rates of private medical facilities?   If so, what's your problem with Obamacare?   Government intervention is government intervention.
2/22/2013 8:46 AM
My problem with Obamacare all along is that it doesn't address the real problem with healthcare in the U.S., which is out of control costs.  All it does is throw money at all already bloated and broken system.

"The health care industry seems to have the will and the means to keep it that way. According to the Center for Responsive Politics, the pharmaceutical and health-care-product industries, combined with organizations representing doctors, hospitals, nursing homes, health services and HMOs, have spent $5.36 billion since 1998 on lobbying in Washington. That dwarfs the $1.53 billion spent by the defense and aerospace industries and the $1.3 billion spent by oil and gas interests over the same period. That’s right: the health-care-industrial complex spends more than three times what the military-industrial complex spends in Washington."

2/22/2013 9:33 AM
I think Obamacare exacerbates the problem.    Regardless of what doctors/hospitals charge, insurance companies are NOT losing money.   By requiring everyone to have insurance, you're almost giving health insurance companies carte blanche on premiums. 

I'm not necessarily against univeral insurance.   But the way we're going about it is borderline retarded. 
2/22/2013 9:49 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/22/2013 9:33:00 AM (view original):
I think Obamacare exacerbates the problem.    Regardless of what doctors/hospitals charge, insurance companies are NOT losing money.   By requiring everyone to have insurance, you're almost giving health insurance companies carte blanche on premiums. 

I'm not necessarily against univeral insurance.   But the way we're going about it is borderline retarded. 
Agree completely.

The reason why insurance companies are not losing money is because they're passing the costs back to their customers, via the premiums we pay and the company subsidies that our employers pay as job benefits to us.

There's a lot of money flowing through the health care system, a lot of profits being made, and in the end it's all coming from one place . . . our wallets.

I'd probably be OK with Obamacare if it was done ON TOP of fixing the problem of out of control costs and profits by the medical industry, to fill whatever gaps may remain.  But it should not be considered an end in and of itself, or any kind of "solution" to anything.  It's not.

Unfortunately, too many people think it is, and don't want to accept otherwise.  They don't want to admit to themselves that the Emperor has no clothes.
2/22/2013 10:31 AM
Unfortunately, because it WILL be better than current for many, we might get locked into it for an extended period. 
2/22/2013 12:13 PM
I think the politicians should throw out the health care program that they live under and join the rest of the populace using the same system we are being forced to use. Bet that would lead to some corrections in the health care system! 
3/23/2013 8:21 PM
3/24/2013 8:27 AM
Posted by bheid408 on 2/22/2013 12:13:00 PM (view original):
I think the politicians should throw out the health care program that they live under and join the rest of the populace using the same system we are being forced to use. Bet that would lead to some corrections in the health care system! 
That is a myth

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/01/congress-exempt-from-health-bill/
of 29
All Forums > General Discussion > Non-Sports > so you like Obamacare ?

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.