I took over a team for an outed alias.   I am up against the cap with a pretty weak team and horrible fielding.   So I started an experiment in order to get a DH bat into the line-up.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Frank Nieve is playing RF.  Thru 218 innings, he has 1 error, 2 negative plays, 1 assist and a 1.28 RF.     Extrapolated out to a full season, he'd finish with 7 errors, 13 negative plays, 7 assists and produce 207 put outs.

Prior to taking over the team,  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Chris Carter had logged 246 innings in RF with 2 errors, 1 positive play, 2 assists and a 1.46 RF.    He'd finish with 12 errors, 6 positive plays, 12 assists and  237 put outs.  

Short version:  DH with 6 range and 24 glove(arms are close enough) would have 5 less errors, 13 more negative plays, 5 less assists, 6 less positive plays and 30 less put outs than a 73 range/69 glove out in RF.   I'd feel comfortable throwing out the errors from the equation but, because he can't get to as many balls, maybe it's about right.

Seems to back up my contention that a rock can play RF. 
5/31/2012 9:32 AM
Good info mike. Def makes me reconsider who I'd put in RF, although I was already leaning that way anyway.
5/31/2012 11:48 AM
i am a rock. i am an iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisland
5/31/2012 12:03 PM
Mike's new right fielder:

5/31/2012 12:17 PM
If the kid can hit, he's got a shot.

I'll probably play Nieve in RF for another 30 games and then move him to 1B in an effort to find out where he does the least damage.
5/31/2012 12:28 PM
Another RF candidate:

5/31/2012 12:29 PM
Is it possible your pitching is being hurt beyond what you see in the fielding stats?  I guess I mean +/- type plays, but are we sure all of those get accounted for?  It just feels wrong to put a guy with 6 range in the OF and not have it blow up in your face.
5/31/2012 12:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It's possible but that's why I included put outs.   I've found that higher range players, at all positions, have a higher RF.   That's true in this case.   Nieve, in addition to making errors/negative plays, was also getting to one less ball every 5 games than Carter.    So, in my mind, he's giving up an extra hit every 5 games because a ball not caught or kicked is a hit. 
5/31/2012 12:59 PM
Small sample size is also possible but, quite honestly, the best RF is going to make less than 2 plays per game.    The top 10 in most leagues I've checked have a range factor between 1.6 and 1.7.      If you can stick a 6 range DH out there and have him make 1.25 with 20ish errors/negative plays, you're not losing much.  Less than half a play per game difference between a DH and a GG candidate isn't much.   Obviously, you'd rather have a GG candidate and a Silver Slugger out there but, if you can't have both, it's a really good place to skimp on D.  

Assuming, of course, that what's happening with Nieve is what would happen over several seasons.
5/31/2012 1:05 PM
I'll try this with a team..
5/31/2012 2:08 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/31/2012 12:17:00 PM (view original):
Mike's new right fielder:

Young uncleal is sulking about not being allowed to play second base.
5/31/2012 2:09 PM
I played T.J. McIntosh (10-21-65-67) in RF many moons ago, acting on a hunch and having a need at that position, and came up with similar numbers: 184 innings, 21 PO, 1 assist, 1 error, 0 (+), 2 (-), .957 F%, 1.08 RF.

I am definitely going to reconsider where I play catchers with deficient PC.
5/31/2012 7:10 PM
"Playing right field, its easy you know,
You can be awkward, you can be slow,
That's why I'm here in right field,
Just watching the dandelions grow."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXVnb0wveRg
5/31/2012 8:16 PM
1|2|3...17 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.