Stadium Help!!! Topic

I hate asking, because I have gotten better at proper stadium picking, but I'm really having trouble deciding on a good home stadium. What is the formula used to determine whether I should choose a pitcher's park or hitter's park? I seem to remember seeing a post about it before ...

If anyone wanted to see my roster to help me further, I can sitemail it to you. But I don't want to post the whole lineup for fear that someone in the league might see it beforehand. I had a horrible season last season (my first Twist league resulted in some severe underperformances and my first sub-.500 team in several seasons) and really want to redeem myself.

Thanks so much.

7/30/2012 11:34 PM
I am not particularly good at fitting my team to stadiums, so I am only going to mention the most general things that are common knowledge, and others who are really expert at designing teams to fit stadiums - pfattkatt is one - can help with the more sophisticated aspects. 

When you are in the Draft Center, click on "Ballparks" which is up near the top of the screen. You get a page that lists all the available ballparks. 

On the far right-hand column is "park factor" - this is the overall effect on offense or defense. A number higher than 1 favors offense, one below favors defense, and so the Astrodome at 0.89 favors defense more than Busch Stadium at 0.99. Similarly  the Baker Bowl at 1.14 favors offense more than Chase field at 1.06.

Now look at the 5 columns immediately to the left of that far right-hand one. 1B means how much it favors or reduces singles, 2B, the same for doubles and 3B of course for triples. HR LF/RF tell you how much that park favors or reduces home runs to left or to right. 

So you try to get players whose stats will reflect work well in the ball park you play in. But it is not so simple: If you want a park that favors home runs be sure to get pitchers that don't give up a lot of homers. In Coors field, or Fenway get pitchers that have low OAVs, since hits in those parks are more dangerous than walks. 

If you pick a park that favors pitching and defense you can draft fewer IP as there will be fewer runs scored, but you need to think about what kind of offense your team will be able to generate in that park - if it favors triples, look for players with high 3B/100 AB ratings and if playing in an open league, be sure to look at the normalization stats (the # stats) which you find by changing to "advanced"  the default of the search interface - which you find at the very bottom of the page when you click on a position to draft for it. 

Hope this helps. 
7/31/2012 5:17 AM

Thanks for responding italyprof ... I understand park factor and using normalized stats.  I was specifically asking for a certain formula that I've seen in past forums regarding something about total pitcher's OAV vs hitters stats and determining whether to go with +1 for 1B, etc ... basically, if my pitchers are good enough at preventing HR to be able to put them in a HR park so it benefits my hitters, or are they good enough to still score runs in a pitcher's park.

I know I've seen a post about it before .. I just can't remember which user posted it and was hoping he'd see my thread and repost the formula.

My hitters' slash stats are a combined .311/.402/.462 
I also averaged their 1B/100PA#, 2B/100#, 3B/100# and HR/100# as follows:   22.4 1B/100PA  4.5 2B/100PA  0.6 3B/100PA  3.5 HR/100PA

My pitchers combine for a 0.96 WHIP#, 1.72 ERC#, .189 OAV# and 0.14 HR/9

The theme is no hitter costing more than $5million and no pitcher costing more than $7million, so since I check my team multiple times/day and can handle platoons without fatiguing players, I went with partial seasons that can hit really well to offset some of the middle infielders that didn't.

The team is set, I'm just deciding on the park. I want one that will allow my HR hitters to hit (since my pitchers don't typically give up any, but I can't seem to find a stadium that will increase HR and 1B, but not too much. I'm leanbing towards Cubs' Stadium (+2,0,-1, +2, +2), US Cellular (0,-1,-1,+1,+1), Ebbets (-1,+1,0,+1,+1), or something that suppresses singles(hits), but not HR, like Sick's (-2,+1,-3, +2, +2) or Great American (0,0,-2,+2,+2)

I might go with Connie Mack (0,-2,0,+1,+1), because my starters are a little more prone to giving up hits than the bullpen. Have you used this one yet?

7/31/2012 2:32 PM
who do you have on your squad and what is their 1b/100#, 2b/100#, 3b/100#, HR/100#?  What is your pitchers HR/9?
7/31/2012 5:02 PM
Regarding ballpark effects, my understanding is the '1B' effect pertains to hits, not singles.  The higher the rating, the greater likelihood of a hit occurring; the decision tree determines what kind of hit.  I seem to recall reading that somewhere some time ago.
7/31/2012 8:29 PM
I site-mailed you ChiSox ... don't want my opponents seeing my team.
8/1/2012 10:02 AM
choose a hitters ballpark if you get a lot of hits. choose a different ballpark if your team is stronger in other categories  (walks, speed, power, etc.). also make sure you have enough stamina, when you have fatigue problems you really don't want to be in a hitters ballpark. I don't use a formula, when it's a close call it doesn't make much difference which you choose. ballpark choice is important for extreme teams, not so imprtant for balanced teams.
8/1/2012 1:35 PM
don't know if it's what you were looking for or not, but I bumped a discussion on home field advantage that you may find useful...
8/1/2012 1:47 PM
Your team 2B/100#, 3B/100#, HR/100#, and HR/9#(P) are crucial for picking stadiums that favor the proper kind of extra base hits for your team, but using 1B/100# to determine what 1B rating you want is a big mistake.  The best thing to do is look at the last season of the league and get a sense of the ratio of hits to walks in the league.  If your hitters have a bigger ratio of TOTAL HITS (1B/100#+2B/100#+3B/100#+HR/100#) to walks than this number you'll likely want to have a +1B park, how much so depending on by how far.  Of course, you also have to give some consideration to your pitchers' ratio of walks to hits.  Additionally, if you're a little low on PA and/or IP you may be pigeonholed into a -1B park.  The reverse is not true.  You don't play one team enough times in a row to tire them out sufficiently to be worth playing in a + 1B park just because you have a surplus of PA and IP if it's not also providing you with a competitive advantage associated with having relatively high-hit, low-walk hitters and low-hit, higher-walk pitchers when compared to what you anticipate from the rest of the league.
8/2/2012 2:11 AM

Is that an $80m league?
8/2/2012 2:05 PM
If your players hit hrs look at the hr/left if u have good right handed power hitters and vice versa. if it is a (+)  # it means it adds whatever it is u are looking at u should look at this if u have good hitters or good pitchers. You want a (+) for hitters and a (-) for pitchers
8/2/2012 10:37 PM

Thanks guys ... dahsdebater - that's what I was trying to remember. I had to get the team in before the end of the day on 8/1, so I took my best chance and went with Sick's Stadium.

My pitchers don't give up a lot of hits, but they do walk more than I'd like them too. My hitters have 1400+ hits, so they should overcome Sick's.

I'll let everyone know how they did.

and BigLen - it was $100, which was very high for this theme. But I wasn't the commissioner.

8/3/2012 11:05 PM
Stadium Help!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.