Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by moranis on 9/26/2012 7:17:00 PM (view original):
It is about first control not best control.  Tate had his one had on the ball at the same time Jennings had his two.  Tate's one hand never left the ball and by the time Tate came down (and he was down first) he had two hands on the ball.  If you read the letter of the law it was a simultaneous catch.  That said had they called it an INT I don't think it would have been overturned. 
Having a hand on the ball and control are not the same thing.  Even if somehow that was simultaneous control by the letter of the rule, it would be another one of those times where the rule has become so stupid because due to technicalities it somehow forces you to have to ignore what is immediately obvious to everyone's eyes.  I couldn't give a crap about the outcome of that game, but seriously, there's no way that's the right call.  

You don't think it's telling that the NFL's own statement tiptoed around affirming the initial ruling - they simply affirmed the decision not to overturn it with the replay.

9/26/2012 10:08 PM (edited)
Posted by The Taint on 9/26/2012 9:30:00 PM (view original):
Have Packers fans always been such whiney little *****? 
******* A!!!!!   All fans, except Raiders fans, are whiney little *****!!!!
9/26/2012 10:13 PM
$ 100 bet  your Sh!thawks go farther than  the Packers ?    not likely ...ur a   ***** like Carroll ..no scabs to win your bet...LOSER...bring it scum bag
9/26/2012 11:52 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/26/2012 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 9/26/2012 7:17:00 PM (view original):
It is about first control not best control.  Tate had his one had on the ball at the same time Jennings had his two.  Tate's one hand never left the ball and by the time Tate came down (and he was down first) he had two hands on the ball.  If you read the letter of the law it was a simultaneous catch.  That said had they called it an INT I don't think it would have been overturned. 
Having a hand on the ball and control are not the same thing.  Even if somehow that was simultaneous control by the letter of the rule, it would be another one of those times where the rule has become so stupid because due to technicalities it somehow forces you to have to ignore what is immediately obvious to everyone's eyes.  I couldn't give a crap about the outcome of that game, but seriously, there's no way that's the right call.  

You don't think it's telling that the NFL's own statement tiptoed around affirming the initial ruling - they simply affirmed the decision not to overturn it with the replay.

But it isn't a catch until they come down.  When Tate comes down he has two hands securely on the ball.  And Tate is the first one down.  Again had they called it an INT, I don't think they overturn it, but it was a simultaneous catch.
9/27/2012 6:31 AM

Nothing buoys my opinion quite as much as you taking the opposite side.

Again, the NFL, the one group with more incentive than anyone to back up the refs, didn't say "It was a simultaneous catch."  They said that's what the refs called and agreed that there wasn't indisputable evidence to overturn that call.  If you think that wording wasn't very specifically chosen, I don't know what else to say.

9/27/2012 8:37 AM (edited)
And here is the rule:

"If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

Establishing control has nothing to do with getting the feet down - that's part of possession/completing the catch.  You're certainly correct that Jennings hadn't completed the catch until his feet came down, but he had established control, and was first to establish control.  If Tate had managed to rip the ball out before Jennings came down, that's one thing.  At best, he established joint control.

9/27/2012 9:56 AM
I can't believe people are backing (more correctly, trying to back) the Seahawks in this situation...it's an indefensible offense...Jennings pick, all day, period.
9/27/2012 11:56 AM
What are the Seahawks players/coaches supposed to say?    "Oh, yeah, that was an interception all the way.  The refs totally blew that one"?
9/27/2012 3:35 PM
As a Packers fan, I'm starting to wonder that too. Do I believe the refs blew the call? Sure. But, at the end of the day: The Packers are 1-2 with a chance to get better & maybe fix that **** poor pass protection. The Packers could still end the season with just 3 or 4 losses. I say 3 or 4 because I believe they will lose to the Texans & I think it's another possible loss to the Cardinals coming.

It's not the end of the world that the Packers lost to a team that mauled them for the better portion of the game. They lost to the 49ers because the Niners BEAT them. They lost to the Seahawks because, honestly, the Seahawks BEAT them even worse.

Lastly, the only reason the Packers' offense is so highly touted is because they have Aaron Rodgers under center. If he goes down, (& it could happen if he keeps eating turf so often) you could put a fork in that offense... it's done.
9/28/2012 4:22 AM
no replacement refs to hand you the game on a platter = back to reality  Sh1thawks lose ..
9/30/2012 5:54 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...51 Next ▸
Seahawks! SUPER BOWL Champs! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.