This is kind of a radical suggestion, one I doubt has very much practicality. However, I have put some thought into it ever since the My Take I did with Norbert. He says:
One thing I think we are taking a hard look at is the idea of moving from DIII to DI. It’s a cool thing on paper and it’s fun, but there are all sorts of problems with it when dealing with it on a multi-user scale.

The first sentence really piqued my interest. So, I started brainstorming a model that would eliminate a step between D3 and D1, and that, as the title says, is JUCO.

Basically, We would have a "level hierarchy" that looks like it does now, except you have an alternate route to pursue: JUCO. You can go to JUCO from any level, and it would basically be D2, but you can move straight to D1 from it. Obviously, it would be interesting to make it where players are only there for 2 years (a la real world JUCO) and even would enter/re-enter the player pool after their time at JUCO.

Perhaps it also should be selective- i.e. the level has a lot less schools than most. Instead of the usual 120-220 teams at each level, there are only 50-60 teams at JUCO, so it is much more selective. It would also prevent a shortage in the other levels, at least until those levels start filling up again (which hopefully won't be but a few short months from now). 

The premise is that the JUCO teams could get a) all the unsigned recruits left and/or b) the recruits with a low GPA. This could actually give meaning to GPA. JUCO teams could conceivably range in talent level from D2 all the way to low end D1, but probably the majority would be low end D1AA teams. 

So basically, the JUCO level would have:
  • 50 or 60 teams
  • the ability to join from any level (D3, D2, D1AA, and D1 coaches could all join)
  • the ability to leave for any level
  • 2 year scholarships instead of 4
  • increased competition due to the majority of JUCOs probably having a coach
The main cons are:
  • Could take away coaches from other levels
  • May be impractical to implement
  • Would recruiting take place at the same time as the other levels? I don't think that would work, so you'd need to find another time (maybe after the POs?)
Just thinking out loud.

8/26/2012 2:19 PM
I think it's a great idea.
8/26/2012 2:35 PM

I like the idea of 50-60 teams -- this way each State could be represented and you would have an 'in' with the recruits nearby -- doesn't even have to be real schools.

Recruiting could take place at the same time -- premise for recuiting would need to change -- you put your $'s in to the players you're most interested in -- more of a , hey if you're not gonna sign with team X and once team X has completed signings you and whatever other JUCO coach has put effort in, can then battle as normal.
on the last 1-2 days of signing(not much happening then anyway) - you get 1st chance recruiting the players in your state, 2nd (last day) expands outward.

8/26/2012 4:05 PM
My thoughts on recruiting are to do them during new coach signups. Since no new coaches would be JUCO eligible, you can go after the recruits of the previous year. 

However, glaity, you have a more practical idea that probably works better.
8/26/2012 4:17 PM
I like the idea, but I don't think it should be implemented until there are a lot more human coaches in the already existing divisions.  

I would definitely try a 2 or 3 season stint at one of these JUCOs.  That would be fun dealing with 2 year schollies....
8/26/2012 5:30 PM
This is the kind of out of the box thinking that I have been trying out with the community regarding recruiting in general. JUCO - since the way hyeena explained would be a step out of DIII. With 60 teams (5 conferences) - 12 team PO's with 1st round byes (Like HD) - you could place the level of bump based on record - CC - NC. Do well - move to lower 1A, not as good 1AA or shift to DII. JUCO players can enter the 4-year recruiting pool. BUT - here are some factors that must be considered to make this even better. 1) ALL players to recruit are visible to all coaches - D1A to DIII + JUCO. 2) Give schools guidelines for recruiting (as stated before - better have high GPA to get into a military academy, Stanford, Ivy League, etc. - more specific preferences for players regarding location, school preference (2 year vs 4 year), playing time, starts, even booster gifts), player attitude and personality (prima donna - may want to be only one if not may want to leave; team captian - does great if the only one crumbles with another for competition, big fish in small pond syndrome, etc use some imagination. 3) As in real life, D1A would skim the cream of the country  D1AA would get the next best and the regional heros, DII would claim the states best remaining, DIII would get the local stars, JUCO could get the players with needs of grade improvement (study hall like HD) and any left over that they could out recruit against D1AA to DIII (very much based on a short-term JUCO elite system.

Gives a lot of depth to recruiting - (along with changing the dreary 15 CV and cloud of dust) - hummmm - the possiblities . . .
8/26/2012 9:06 PM
Good ideas katz. As I said in the first post, I don't have everything ironed out. This definitely needs some refining.

Here is another even more radical idea, that is probably even less practical:

Going JUCO can allow you to change worlds and not start again at D3. There would be almost a seperate world for JUCO (a hybrid, if you will) where you can go, build a resume, and then hop into another world as well at a higher level. We could even do partner worlds, i.e. Dobie and Bryant share a JUCO, and you can go to either world you want (even both, but couldn't keep your JUCO team). 

THAT's radical for ya.
8/26/2012 9:29 PM
Posted by caesari on 8/26/2012 9:29:00 PM (view original):
Good ideas katz. As I said in the first post, I don't have everything ironed out. This definitely needs some refining.

Going JUCO can allow you to change worlds and not start again at D3. There would be almost a seperate world for JUCO (a hybrid, if you will) where you can go, build a resume, and then hop into another world as well at a higher level. We could even do partner worlds, i.e. Dobie and Bryant share a JUCO, and you can go to either world you want (even both, but couldn't keep your JUCO team). 

THAT's radical for ya.
That's like coaching from the 4th dimension! WOW - gives me a headache just thinkin' about that one!
8/27/2012 12:38 AM
beam me up Scottie
8/27/2012 9:15 AM
haha
8/27/2012 7:51 PM
Posted by caesari on 8/26/2012 9:29:00 PM (view original):

THAT's radical for ya.
you're crazy, but i like the cut of your jib.
8/27/2012 7:55 PM
mrfortune- I was wondering where you'd gone. You were always such a bore. LOL ;)
8/27/2012 11:35 PM
lol i've been here. i just had stopped posting for a bit because there were too many coaches going after each other and calling each other fools instead of having intelligent conversations.
8/28/2012 7:14 PM
BUMP for norbert's recent activity.
9/7/2012 2:50 PM
BUMP for jfootball, and anyone else.
11/14/2012 6:34 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.