Do pitchers or hitters underperform more? Topic

In your opinion...

We all realize that the players in an $80m league are at or above all-star level.  So players can't perform as well in the sim as they do in real life.  

But, In an $80m league, do pitchers or hitters underperform more? 

And which stats are the biggest underperformers, and which are not.

I===============

In my opinion, pitchers underperform more than hitters, based on their WHIP statistic.

To minimize the underperformance of pitchers I generally:
- Select pitchers with lower OAV (walks happen no matter what)
- Avoid LHP SP like the plague (My opinion... They seem to do way worse)

I do think deadball pitchers have too big an impact in suppressing HR's.  That's ridiculous

Hitters generally underperform in HR, but do about as expected for BB, 2b, and 3b.   Their batting average will be suppressed in general.
9/24/2012 10:08 AM
I agree that pitchers underperform much more than hitters. While hitters BA and HRs (and thus SLG) are diminished typically in my experience, most pitchers I see greatly underperform their real life OAV numbers, with BB/9 beign the biggest culprit for me. Thus, their WHIPS are always inflated. The one area where this is not true tends to be deadball pitchers HRS (as you mentioned above).

Left handed pitchers have always dramatically underperformed for me as well. I typically do not choose them to be my #1 or #2 SP and have a high pull setting on bullpen guys.
9/24/2012 10:23 AM

Not if I'm paying for the team.  The higher the cap, the further from what I consider to be reality. 

I was just trying to start a discussion here, to see if the conventional wisdom had any gems of information for me.
9/25/2012 8:30 AM
Do pitchers or hitters underperform more? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.