D1A Rebuild: Georgia Tech in Bryant Topic

Interested in expert opinion and advice.  Please feel free to sitemail me or  reply in this post.  I welcome and appreciate in advance, all feedback and suggestions.

I'm taking over a team that has been SIM-ran for I think 17 seasons. The team has won 5 games in the last 5 seasons (8 in the last 10).  I am aware that I will need to be patient in recruiting, and make sure that I fill my roster with high-potential/WE players; and that I will need to schedule some easy OOC games for next season (the schedule for the current season was already established).  My question is, does being a BCS school (albeit with a terrible recent history) give me an advantage over more successful non-BCS schools when it comes to recruiting?

Once again, I know to be patient and definitely not battle with any "Elites" for recruits, but is it feasible to battle a decent program from a non-BCS conference?  I don't want to set my sights too high, but don't want to shy away from battles that I might have been able to win had I tried.  How hard will it be to recruit in the southeast with my team?

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/TeamProfile/PlayerRatings.aspx?tid=50375

Thanks in advance.
10/4/2012 9:52 AM
Try to keep your battles within 180 miles if possible. At most within 360 miles.
10/4/2012 10:11 AM
Don't be afraid to battle non-BCS.
10/4/2012 10:12 AM
1. DONT battle humans your first season of recruiting.
2. Focus your attention on QB this recruiting season then start filling in the questionable spaces.  In other words budget most of your cash to a stud QB 
3. Make sure you schedule your 3 exhibition games to get max practice in for upcoming starters.  Note:  I wait until recruiting ends to schedule 3rd game to start the new freshman and gain practice experience.
10/4/2012 12:06 PM
You have a very bad team for sure.

You will have 15 scholarships to fill. All 15 should be able to play and start. Therefore you can offer lots of starts and PT to help entice recruits to come and play for you.
10/4/2012 12:33 PM

Best of luck in your rebuild. Being at Miami, I will get to watch your efforts closely. The key is to improve talent every year and schedule "wisely". First goal is to not get fired :). Your 2nd goal is to then be in a position to make a level 3 bowl game or better every year (by year 4). Then...once you have established that, try to win your conference (I will try to ensure you don't accomplish this) and challenge for a NC. All of these are possible, but make sure you are patient and don't over reach in recruiting early on and schedule to ensure a decent WIS ranking.

I can tell you that I leave very good "scraps" on the table every year in recruiting, so you can definately build a solid team in a couple of years.

Also, cut 3 guys every year for the first 4 years.

Best of luck

10/5/2012 1:29 AM (edited)
Posted by airraiddevil on 10/4/2012 2:36:00 PM (view original):

Best of luck in your rebuild. Being at Miami, I will get to watch your efforts closely. They key is improve talent every year and schedule "wisely". First goal is to not get fired :). Your 2nd goal is to then be in a position to make a level 3 bowl game or better every year (by year 4). Then...once you have established that, try to win your conference (I will try to ensure you don't accomplish this) and challenge for an NC. All of these are possible, but make sure you are patient and don't over reach in recruiting early on and be schedule to ensure a decent WIS ranking.

I can tell you that I leave very good "scraps" on the table every year in recruiting, so you can definately build a solid team in a couple of years.

Also, cut 3 guys every year for the first 4 years.

Best of luck

What airraid said, plus you may want to try to pick the brain of all2matt, who's built Iowa into a powerhouse in your world.
10/4/2012 7:29 PM
Thanks a great deal for the advice! I figured it would be similar to recruiting in 1AA, but with the added dynamics of Elite teams and BCS conferences.  I hope to be able to burn each of you with the advice you have provided... lol. Seriously, thanks again; I appreciate it.  Best of luck to all this upcoming season.
10/5/2012 7:10 AM
D1A Rebuild: Georgia Tech in Bryant Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.